Larceny/Embezzlement Question... Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
pizzasodafries

Bronze

Larceny/Embezzlement Question...

Post by pizzasodafries » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:48 pm

What you guys think the answer is to the following question....

If I am a gas station attendant and someone gives me 20 bucks for their gas and I take that money and directly put it in my pocket with the intention of keeping it, is it Larceny or Embezzlement?

jd20132013

Silver

Re: Larceny/Embezzlement Question...

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:51 pm

larceny.

and now i can't remember why. but i'm 85% sure

Law-So-Hard

Bronze

Post by Law-So-Hard » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:52 pm

pizzasodafries wrote:What you guys think the answer is to the following question....

If I am a gas station attendant and someone gives me 20 bucks for their gas and I take that money and directly put it in my pocket with the intention of keeping it, is it Larceny or Embezzlement?
larceny.

Most likely as an employee of the gas station and not its president/manager you are not in lawful possession of the money so it's larceny (trespassory taking and carrying away of property of another with intent to permanently deprive - you are stealing from the gas station).
Embezzlement = the fraudulent conversion of property of another by a person in lawful possession of the property. You're not in lawful "possession" of the $ you're holding onto it for the couple minutes it takes to put it in the cash register.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:55 pm

^^^yep that's it.

pizzasodafries

Bronze

Post by pizzasodafries » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Law-So-Hard wrote:
pizzasodafries wrote:What you guys think the answer is to the following question....

larceny.

Most likely as an employee of the gas station and not its president/manager you are not in lawful possession of the money so it's larceny (trespassory taking and carrying away of property of another with intent to permanently deprive - you are stealing from the gas station).
Embezzlement = the fraudulent conversion of property of another by a person in lawful possession of the property. You're not in lawful "possession" of the $ you're holding onto it for the couple minutes it takes to put it in the cash register.
This is what I though, but what does "lawful possession" actually mean if the gas station attendant is not in lawful possession of the money before he puts it into register?

I can see you saying he has no lawful possession of the money once he puts it INTO the register, but I can't rap my head around why embezzlement cant apply to a low level employee in certain circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:01 pm

I thought it was embezzlement because the original giving money to the gas station attendant was with consent and without deceit. I remember doing a MBE question where the lady leaves her car at the body shop and the mechanic tried to steal her tires at night, and the answer said it was embezzlement, because she left that car at his possession with consent.

For me, larceny means the initial exchange was without consent.

LouEVille

New

Post by LouEVille » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 pm

I think the rule of thumb is that "low level" employees (e.g., cashiers) have mere custody of property like cash, while "higher level" employees (e.g., an accountant) are more likely to have possessory rights.

It doesn't necessarily make sense to me either, but that's the distinction our lecturer seemed to indicate was important on the bar exam.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 pm

LouEVille wrote:I think the rule of thumb is that "low level" employees (e.g., cashiers) have mere custody of property like cash, while "higher level" employees (e.g., an accountant) are more likely to have possessory rights.

It doesn't necessarily make sense to me either, but that's the distinction our lecturer seemed to indicate was important on the bar exam.
Didn't know that rule... good to know.

tsutsik

Bronze

Post by tsutsik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Barbri had a question like this that supposedly hinged on whether the employee took the money before or after she put it into the cash register. It was supposed to be larceny if she took the money before putting it into the cash register, and embezzlement if she took the money out of the cash register. Anyone have any idea why that might make a difference?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:15 pm

tsutsik wrote:Barbri had a question like this that supposedly hinged on whether the employee took the money before or after she put it into the cash register. It was supposed to be larceny if she took the money before putting it into the cash register, and embezzlement if she took the money out of the cash register. Anyone have any idea why that might make a difference?
I think you have it backwards... It's larceny when she takes it out of the register because she didn't have lawful possession of the money (the employer did) although she had control or custody over it, but it's embezzlement if she takes it before putting it in the register because she had lawful possession of it at that point. Is that fucking stupid? Yes but that's the distinction they made.

pizzasodafries

Bronze

Post by pizzasodafries » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm

tsutsik wrote:Barbri had a question like this that supposedly hinged on whether the employee took the money before or after she put it into the cash register. It was supposed to be larceny if she took the money before putting it into the cash register, and embezzlement if she took the money out of the cash register. Anyone have any idea why that might make a difference?
THATS why i asked this question now to clear this up in my head.

You are getting it twisted up, the question was AFTER she put it in the register so it was a larceny since she had not "rights" or lawful possession to that money anymore. The answer intimated that IF she had taken the money BEFORE she put it in the register it could have been an embezzlement.

The woman who did the review video totally missed that distinction and said the general rule about upper level employees being embezzlement and lower level employees like clerks/cashiers/janitors being larceny.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
I think you have it backwards... It's larceny when she takes it out of the register because she didn't have lawful possession of the money (the employer did) although she had control or custody over it, but it's embezzlement if she takes it before putting it in the register because she had lawful possession of it at that point. Is that fucking stupid? Yes but that's the distinction they made.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/example/ ... -raw%5D_15

pizzasodafries

Bronze

Post by pizzasodafries » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:19 pm

encore1101 wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:
I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:19 pm

encore1101 wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:
So I got the right answer for the wrong reason lol.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:20 pm

encore1101 wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:
If you're taking barbri look @ question 93 of the simulated MBE, unless I'm reading it incorrectly, they explained it how I explained it.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:
If you're taking barbri look @ question 93 of the simulated MBE, unless I'm reading it incorrectly, they explained it how I explained it.
I'm playing Hearthstone atm, but from my understanding, the difference is the level of control that the employee or "holder" is entitled to exercise over it.

For example, in the example above, a gas station employee, whose custody and discretion with money paid is limited to "Take it from customer to cashier," doesn't exercise sufficient control to warrant the money being "entrusted" to the employee.

Contrast that with a cashier, who by virtue of their job, has to handle money by receiving it from customers, giving out change and refunds, and being responsible for their drawers.
Last edited by encore1101 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 pm

larceny questions are some of the trickiest.

i think money may has to be right as far as the cash register point goes. The reverse makes no sense--you have to be lawfully entrusted with the thing taken for embezzlement, so there's no set of facts where taking it out of the cash register after putting it in would be embezzlement where simply taking it straight away wouldn't also be embezzlement.

The converse makes more sense--it's embezzlement before you put it in the cash register because you are lawfully entrusted with it for the purposes of putting it in the cash register. It's larceny afterward because you have no business in there taking it out.

Now, it seems like that makes the OP example embezzlement as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:29 pm

encore's explanation makes sense too. nvm. just ignore what i said. i'm not suer what the answer is. it seems like this is too close a fact pattern for them to ask on the MBE (or they will include some other facts to make the distinction obvious).

in a sense, it's all entrusted to the cashier when the customer gives it to him (embezzlment), but if you buy the low level employee distinction they'd arguably both be larceny.

tsutsik

Bronze

Post by tsutsik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:29 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
Right. Thanks.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

jd20132013 wrote:encore's explanation makes sense too. nvm. just ignore what i said. i'm not suer what the answer is. it seems like this is too close a fact pattern for them to ask on the MBE (or they will include some other facts to make the distinction obvious).

in a sense, it's all entrusted to the cashier when the customer gives it to him (embezzlment), but if you buy the low level employee distinction they'd arguably both be larceny.
I think the reason it's embezzlement is because the company never even came in possession of the money. If a cashier jacks some cash from the register that's clearly larceny. I think the high level/ low level employee distinction comes into play when the company is in possession of the money (so it would be embezzlement for high level employees and larceny for low level employees), but if they never even come into possession of it, then I think that's embezzlement even for a low level employee. But yeah both explanations make sense to me too so who the fuck really knows.

Also, FUCK the MBE.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:55 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:encore's explanation makes sense too. nvm. just ignore what i said. i'm not suer what the answer is. it seems like this is too close a fact pattern for them to ask on the MBE (or they will include some other facts to make the distinction obvious).

I think the reason it's embezzlement is because the company never even came in possession of the money. If a cashier jacks some cash from the register that's clearly larceny. I think the high level/ low level employee distinction comes into play when the company is in possession of the money (so it would be embezzlement for high level employees and larceny for low level employees), but if they never even come into possession of it, then I think that's embezzlement even for a low level employee. But yeah both explanations make sense to me too so who the fuck really knows.

Also, FUCK the MBE.
I'm reading problem 93, and you're right; Barbri says that stealing from the register is larceny, but stealing from the customer directly is embezzlement. I'm reading different articles about larceny versus embezzlement and custody versus possession (http://nationalparalegal.edu/public_doc ... arceny.asp, http://www.bayarea-attorney.com/CM/Arti ... rceny-.asp) and it could just be a fact-intensive inquiry.

Side note: I hate Barbri because there's things that, I don't know if its just me, but I don't see as "reasonably foreseeable," but they mark it as their answer. For example, a truck driver ignoring accident signs and traffic warnings drives into an overpass bridge that's too low for his truck and knocks some rubble onto a person who was in an accident just prior = foreseeable. But an airplane pilot with an expired license who crashes upon landing with a novice pilot who ignored the control tower = unforeseeable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 pm

encore1101 wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:

Also, FUCK the MBE.
I'm reading problem 93, and you're right; Barbri says that stealing from the register is larceny, but stealing from the customer directly is embezzlement. I'm reading different articles about larceny versus embezzlement and custody versus possession (http://nationalparalegal.edu/public_doc ... arceny.asp, http://www.bayarea-attorney.com/CM/Arti ... rceny-.asp) and it could just be a fact-intensive inquiry.

Side note: I hate Barbri because there's things that, I don't know if its just me, but I don't see as "reasonably foreseeable," but they mark it as their answer. For example, a truck driver ignoring accident signs and traffic warnings drives into an overpass bridge that's too low for his truck and knocks some rubble onto a person who was in an accident just prior = foreseeable. But an airplane pilot with an expired license who crashes upon landing with a novice pilot who ignored the control tower = unforeseeable.
:shock: What questions are those? if you don't mind.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:

Also, FUCK the MBE.

:shock: What questions are those? if you don't mind.
I'll have to find them. I did all the StudySmart questions this past week so its all just one big blur.

edit: When I'm Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals, I'm going to eliminate the bar exam.
Last edited by encore1101 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 pm

I hate this question and all of the stupidity that it represents. This exam is not a test of anything that remotely borders on useful.

Also, Kaplan agrees with the cash register distinction mentioned above.

Law-So-Hard

Bronze

Post by Law-So-Hard » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Eh, yeah, you can't overthink these things, just go with what the bar prep company tells you. Conform :twisted:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”