Barbri Simulated MBE and Supplements Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jarofsoup

Gold

Barbri Simulated MBE and Supplements

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:06 pm

I am not doing the best on Barbri's simulated MBE scored around 102/200. Our class took the simulated MBE a week before the rest of the jurisdictions because of scheduling reasons. I have heard my score is not that terrible, but I would like to get something to supplement the barbri materials because there are not a lot of Barbri MBE questions out there left to do. Frankly, barbri kind of sucks. I am convinced they do not actually have a method besides charging more than their competitors and then cutting costs as much as possible and providing the least amount of service.

Any stories about simulated MBE scores that will make me feel better about life? I am assuming that memorizing the law will raise my score drastically. Any suggestions that do not cost an absurd amount of money? I think Kaplan's MBE Q bank is like $400 which is steep. I do not think adaptibar is much cheaper.

Thank you.

arkhamhorror

Bronze

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE and Supplements

Post by arkhamhorror » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:20 pm

I took the NJ/PA bars last year. Taking Texas this July for possible relocation purposes. While I'm self-studying now, I took Barbri last July.

First 200 set I still wasn't really studying too hard and I got an 81/200. Obviously, that was a wake-up call and I freaked out. I bought the Critical Pass flash cards and spent the next few weeks really committing them to memory. Second diagnostic I got a 120/200 which, while not great, was an improvement. Kept studying and scored a 143 raw on test day, which was more than enough and way higher than anything I ever scored for Barbri (except on the super easy question sets).

Point is, I don't think you need to go spending crazy amounts of money on extra materials. Just study the law and you'll be fine.

lwf911

New

Post by lwf911 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Anyone else do horribly on the Barbri simulated MBE? And I mean below average badly. I am officially freaking out.

lmr

Bronze

Post by lmr » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Search through the threads-plenty of people bombed barbri's mbe and still passed.I think i read somewhere someone got a 35 and still passed. Just expose yourself to different question sources (adaptibar or kaplan's mbe book ) figure why you got what you got wrong and right-make a list and review. Just keep practicing and don't get discouraged.

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Taking Barbri's simulated MBE tomorrow. I have been working full time and I just finished the property lecture. So I should bomb the evidence and torts tomorrow. I got the critical pass MBE cards. I have only had them for a few days, but they are a god send. I never could have finished them in time to study them. I would order them today. Like them on facebook and get free shipping. Use this referall code too. http://criticalpass.refr.cc/9T66TK3

What I would do is add whatever lecture notes the cards missed onto the cards and that is basically your outline. That is what I am doing.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

At the Drive-In

New

Post by At the Drive-In » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:43 pm

I am also taking the simulated MBE soon, on Monday. I expect to bomb Evidence and Real Property. But maybe in the subsequent 9 hours or whatever the hell it is of analysis, I'll start to figure it out. :roll:

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:15 pm

Took the simulated MBE a couple of days ago. I was super nervous because most people in the room finished early. Like 30 mins early. I took every second to finish the exam and, while I understood why I chose almost every answer, narrowed down about half the questions to one or two answers and had difficulty choosing between them. I felt like hell afterwards but ended up scoring in what Barbri says is the 95th percentile. FWIW, the StudySmart question topics all have me in the 55-75th percentiles.

My advice is read the questions closely and remember you are taking this practice exam to learn. If you feel confused about a question take a 30 seconds to a minute to write a note in the margin why or, at the very least, star it. That way, when you review, you can focus on what really confused you.

LouEVille

New

Post by LouEVille » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:45 pm

mvpforme wrote:Took the simulated MBE a couple of days ago. I was super nervous because most people in the room finished early. Like 30 mins early. I took every second to finish the exam and, while I understood why I chose almost every answer, narrowed down about half the questions to one or two answers and had difficulty choosing between them. I felt like hell afterwards but ended up scoring in what Barbri says is the 95th percentile. FWIW, the StudySmart question topics all have me in the 55-75th percentiles.

My advice is read the questions closely and remember you are taking this practice exam to learn. If you feel confused about a question take a 30 seconds to a minute to write a note in the margin why or, at the very least, star it. That way, when you review, you can focus on what really confused you.
Where did you get your percentile rank on the simulated MBE? We took ours Friday, and I thought they said they'd let us know when the results were available sometime this week, but I haven't yet seen or heard anything.

EDIT: Derp; I just checked and saw there's a page called "Simulated MBE Results." I guess my state's aren't available yet.

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:44 pm

LouEVille wrote:
mvpforme wrote:Took the simulated MBE a couple of days ago. I was super nervous because most people in the room finished early. Like 30 mins early. I took every second to finish the exam and, while I understood why I chose almost every answer, narrowed down about half the questions to one or two answers and had difficulty choosing between them. I felt like hell afterwards but ended up scoring in what Barbri says is the 95th percentile. FWIW, the StudySmart question topics all have me in the 55-75th percentiles.

Where did you get your percentile rank on the simulated MBE? We took ours Friday, and I thought they said they'd let us know when the results were available sometime this week, but I haven't yet seen or heard anything.

EDIT: Derp; I just checked and saw there's a page called "Simulated MBE Results." I guess my state's aren't available yet.
I didn't need to send mine in. We were given the option of sending the Scantron to Barbri or keeping and entering in our answers online. Under the simulated MBE section, you can enter your answer choices. Within 24 hours, it will give you your national percentile rank.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Isn't the simulated MBE not on the schedule until this coming Monday?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 pm

salvage wrote:Isn't the simulated MBE not on the schedule until this coming Monday?

I think it differs. Mine was not this most recent Monday, but the Monday before that.

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:58 am

Eh... I score a 114.

Not sure how the heck you guys are scoring 130+ but whatever I just wanted to pass and call it good.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:57 am

Seminole_305 wrote:Eh... I score a 114.

Not sure how the heck you guys are scoring 130+ but whatever I just wanted to pass and call it good.
Haven't seen anyone in this thread say they got higher than 130 on the practice run

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:30 am

Stringer6 wrote:

Haven't seen anyone in this thread say they got higher than 130 on the practice run
I thought I saw someone say they are in the 95% which I believe is 130+.

Either way you guys are geniuses because I am below average on everything lol.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:48 am

I scored very high on the midterm (97th percentile) but I got DESTROYED, and I mean absolutely killed to the point where I thought I could not go on and feeling sorry for myself, going 6/18 once or twice, on the StudySmart questions. So idk if that means my review worked or it was a fluke or what.

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

I got 152, which is 98% right now. Having said that, I still got in the red zone on a couple topics. And I'm in CA, so it's barely a glimmer of hope, given that the essays really suck and I've only practiced one PT - which constitute the vast majority of my score. There's always something to feel shitty about I guess...

At the Drive-In

New

Post by At the Drive-In » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:28 am

The median last year for the barbri simulated MBE was 114. ~120 this year is about 63rd percentile.

Based on some of the information I was given at the start of Barbri this year, a 130 raw scaled up to approximately a 145 in this state. (That also seems to ring true give or take 1-3 points in every state for which there is released MBE raw score data.) The MBE is scaled on a state-to-state basis, but there probably isn't going to be more than ~5 points or so of scale variance. I am not a statistician, but if you guys are really pulling 150+ raw scores on the MBE practices, I'd say you've got nothing to worry about. Even if you were to pull a 140 raw you're probably talking a scaled score of 151-154. Regardless of how your MBE is weighted, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

I was nowhere NEAR that on the practice, and was still well above the 50th percentile, which shows you just how far you outstripped the rest of us.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”