how important is a laptop? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jebediah

New

how important is a laptop?

Post by Jebediah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Due to a series of unfortunate events, I was not able to sign up for the laptop program. How much of a disadvantage will I be at if I'm taking the handwritten test? I'm concerned about being able to write as much as I would've been able to with a laptop—will that be an issue, or will I be able to write plenty by hand?

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Re: how important is a laptop?

Post by Bronx Bum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Jebediah wrote:Due to a series of unfortunate events, I was not able to sign up for the laptop program. How much of a disadvantage will I be at if I'm taking the handwritten test? I'm concerned about being able to write as much as I would've been able to with a laptop—will that be an issue, or will I be able to write plenty by hand?

Depends. If you treat this like a free for all law school exam, you won't finish. If you realize that the bar exam REWARDS short, concise, correct answers, you're just as good as someone with a laptop.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:20 pm

I did the bar exam by hand (not by choice) and I did not have any problems with time. Your hand will hurt pretty bad by the time it is all said and done but you'll live. Like the above poster said, this is not a horse race law school exam. You just have to write clearly and concisely and have the law down.

omg clay aiken !

New

Post by omg clay aiken ! » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:53 am

I hand wrote the Florida bar exam because I blew the deadline to register my laptop. I felt ok but not great about my essays, and I ended up getting a 170, which is really high. I think the graders may take it easy on the hand writers

ap1987

New

Post by ap1987 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm in the exact same boat.

This is probably a really stupid question but does printing (non-cursive) count as writing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grapes

New

Post by Grapes » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 am

ap1987 wrote:I'm in the exact same boat.

This is probably a really stupid question but does printing (non-cursive) count as writing?
They actually want you to write in calligraphy.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Grapes wrote:
ap1987 wrote:I'm in the exact same boat.

They actually want you to write in calligraphy.

lol

On a side note, thx for reminding me to register. I just registered and paid the fee after seeing this post.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I've always felt my handwriting was not very good, but I get compliments on it all the time, however under pressure I wouldn't know how I'd perform.
In my State registration reminder they said, "Under extenuating circumstances, Exam4 MAY grant an applicant “special” authorization to be manually registered after the late deadline. The fee to be manually registered, if authorized, will be doubled ($250)." Have you reached out to them for an exception?

banjooooo

New

Post by banjooooo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 am

I'm in the same boat of handwriting... Definitely not looking forward to it. Depending on your state, you might be able to use an erasable pen though. It won't help you write more, but it would be really helpful in editing

Xferr

Bronze

Post by Xferr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:32 pm

I know people who have had their laptops melt down on test day and had to handwrite at the last minute. They passed. It's fine.

Laptop use is just an accommodation since most people prefer to type nowadays. Handwriting is probably slower overall but not prohibitively slower.

Practice handwriting to make sure you can still finish the essays within the time limit. Have someone else glance at your essays to make sure your handwriting is legible. If you do that, you're not at much of a disadvantage, if at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:25 pm

If my laptop stops working in the middle of an essay, do I start handwriting from the top or pick up from where I left off on the computer? I'm taking CA if that makes any difference.

Xferr

Bronze

Post by Xferr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Apple Tree wrote:If my laptop stops working in the middle of an essay, do I start handwriting from the top or pick up from where I left off on the computer? I'm taking CA if that makes any difference.
Different states have different rules I believe. My state says all of one or the other, can't mix.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Apple Tree wrote:If my laptop stops working in the middle of an essay, do I start handwriting from the top or pick up from where I left off on the computer? I'm taking CA if that makes any difference.
as far as I know, in CA, you start writing where you left off, but remember you do need to upload the softest files from your computer...

Silver

Post by 2807 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:03 pm

You start where you left off. Softest is saving your work as you go, so you should not lose anything. Possibly the last few moments of typing, so I would start my handwriting with damage control by telling the grader what just occurred...

Then, go go go...

I believe that handwriting can be an asset if you still use tactics to create an IMPACT on the grader (outline, underline, numbers, etc..)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”