Conviser Mini Review or Full Outline, which one to focus on? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tepper

Bronze

Conviser Mini Review or Full Outline, which one to focus on?

Post by tepper » Thu May 29, 2014 12:35 am

Hi everyone, I just started the review course with Barbri, will be taking the MA bar. I went over both the two full outline books as well as the Conviser Mini Review book. It seems to me that the CMR is basically a condensed version of the full outlines. I'm wondering, would it be the right strategy to focus on the CMR? I find it extremely time consuming to go through the full outlines, where as the CMR is a nice condensed book.

Please let me know what you guys think, any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Re: Conviser Mini Review or Full Outline, which one to focus on?

Post by MoneyMay » Thu May 29, 2014 2:04 am

I am taking FL, but a week in a half in my theory is that the outlines are a flame and to focus on the lecture handouts for memorization, read the conviser before the lecture so you can check of the box thingy on the pace program and also for context, and MAYBE if you are super confused on something open the big outline, MAYBE.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Thu May 29, 2014 8:24 am

My course started early for California, so I have already studied torts and contracts. I personally found that reading the conviser outline before the lecture was not as productive, because it's too detailed. I prefer hearing the lecture for a broad overview and then reading for more detail. The conviser outline for contracts felt confusing to me, so maybe I should read the bigger outline.

tepper

Bronze

Post by tepper » Thu May 29, 2014 8:48 am

LSATNightmares wrote:My course started early for California, so I have already studied torts and contracts. I personally found that reading the conviser outline before the lecture was not as productive, because it's too detailed. I prefer hearing the lecture for a broad overview and then reading for more detail. The conviser outline for contracts felt confusing to me, so maybe I should read the bigger outline.
When I read the big outlines, I found it so detailed, to the point that I couldn't really memorize anything after reading it.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:49 am

I thought Barbri said that you should focus on the CMR and only use the full outline if you are confused and need further clarification about something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tepper

Bronze

Post by tepper » Thu May 29, 2014 8:51 am

AJS30 wrote:I thought Barbri said that you should focus on the CMR and only use the full outline if you are confused and need further clarification about something.
Really? I never got that information from them, is that their official advice for us? Thanks.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu May 29, 2014 10:09 am

tepper wrote:
AJS30 wrote:I thought Barbri said that you should focus on the CMR and only use the full outline if you are confused and need further clarification about something.
Really? I never got that information from them, is that their official advice for us? Thanks.
Our intro BarBri lecture very clearly said this -- full OLs are only for clarification. It also explicitly advised AGAINST outlining either the full or CMR outlines (said this was a waste of time and even offered it was a recipe for failing the exam). The program is designed so that if you do the activities they assign (AMPs, lectures, PQs, Essays, etc.) plus do a little extra review or work when you have difficulty with assignments, you will be prepared on exam day. If it is not working for you, you could try something else, but I would try it their way first. So far I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I retain from their suggested method.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 am

skw wrote:
tepper wrote:
Our intro BarBri lecture very clearly said this -- full OLs are only for clarification. It also explicitly advised AGAINST outlining either the full or CMR outlines (said this was a waste of time and even offered it was a recipe for failing the exam). The program is designed so that if you do the activities they assign (AMPs, lectures, PQs, Essays, etc.) plus do a little extra review or work when you have difficulty with assignments, you will be prepared on exam day. If it is not working for you, you could try something else, but I would try it their way first. So far I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I retain from their suggested method.
Good to know, I should also probably avoid the longer outlines as well. Do you think it makes flashcards and review the flashcards from time to time as part of their recommendation to engage in "active learning"?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu May 29, 2014 11:07 am

Conviser is all you need. I literally never touched the full outline. I feel like, had I just bought a copy of Conviser online, I could have passed the bar exam with that alone. Its that clutch. THere is almost no material that isn't entirely clear from Conviser. You would only need to look to the full outline when really digging into the weeds, and 99% of the time, this isn't necessary

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 29, 2014 11:10 am

Focus on doing practice questions

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu May 29, 2014 11:18 am

kaiser wrote:Conviser is all you need. I literally never touched the full outline. I feel like, had I just bought a copy of Conviser online, I could have passed the bar exam with that alone. Its that clutch. THere is almost no material that isn't entirely clear from Conviser. You would only need to look to the full outline when really digging into the weeds, and 99% of the time, this isn't necessary
Agreed. For the MBE, if you know the material in the CMR cold, you will pass with flying colors. I don't think I ever referred to the broader subject outlines even for clarification.

Know the CMR material --> Do as many PQs as possible under timed conditions --> Review the answers to the PQs (right and wrong) --> Pass the MBE easily

BarBri, of course, would never tell you anything like ^ because much of its success (at least in its mind) is making students feel like they're unprepared to take the exam all the way up to and including test day. Fear of failing is a great motivator, I suppose.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu May 29, 2014 4:15 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:
skw wrote:
tepper wrote:
Good to know, I should also probably avoid the longer outlines as well. Do you think it makes flashcards and review the flashcards from time to time as part of their recommendation to engage in "active learning"?
When the BarBri instructions tell you to actively review your lecture notes, they explain that active review can be however you successfully reviewed in LS. I had good success with flashcards, so when I "actively review" my lecture notes, part of what I'm doing is creating flashcards of BLL I need to learn (and also for my state's distinctions). I think that's a perfectly valid way to review.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”