Second bar exam & studying only with Conviser? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
smokyroom26

Bronze

Second bar exam & studying only with Conviser?

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:52 pm

So I'm taking bar exam numero dos this July (NY). I'm currently working. I have a complete set of Barbri books from last year, including the filled-in lecture outlines. I'm starting to review and honestly, I'm thinking of abandoning the filled-in lecture outlines and studying exclusively from the Conviser. Is this a great idea? Terrible idea? I'll be making my own flash cards (and, potentially, my own outlines, although I didn't outline for the last bar exam I took and passed). I'll also do the practice MBE Qs and essay Qs, of course.

I suppose the thing that gives me pause is that I took the Themis course last year, and I made my flash cards from my Themis filled-in lecture outlines and supplemented only as needed from the comprehensive books, so I had been of the mind that I'd repeat that strategy. But there was no Conviser for we impoverished Themis kids, so maybe it'll be even better* to make my cards from the Conviser . . . ?

Thoughts?

*as "better" as making a shit-ton of flash cards can be

5ky

Diamond

Re: Second bar exam & studying only with Conviser?

Post by 5ky » Mon May 12, 2014 1:57 am

I almost never used the CMR, I didn't think it was very helpful. I made my outlines solely from lecture handouts.

That said, yes, you could pass using only the CMR. It has more info in it than the lectures. Just depends on how you learn. For me, the 3 hr lecture helped me remember the concepts WAY more than just picking up the CMR for an unfamiliar topic and reading it for three hours. Depends on your learning style.

Jay Heizenburg

New

Post by Jay Heizenburg » Mon May 12, 2014 2:22 am

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a CA bar taker, so I can't definitively speak for NY. But I did take Barbri and I can say that you can definitely get by without filling in all that shit. And there are much shorter outlines to study than Conviser.

Also, from what I hear, for NY, SEPERAC (http://www.seperac.com/) is an ABSOLUTE must. Again, that's just from what I hear. Good luck in July.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon May 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Everybody keeps talking about seperac. That guy must have a great PR firm. Take your standard bar course and pass. No need to shell out extra $$ for stuff you don't need. Barbri/Themis/Kaplan/whatever will give you more than enough materials.

Jay Heizenburg

New

Post by Jay Heizenburg » Tue May 13, 2014 6:47 am

5ky wrote:Everybody keeps talking about seperac. That guy must have a great PR firm. Take your standard bar course and pass. No need to shell out extra $$ for stuff you don't need. Barbri/Themis/Kaplan/whatever will give you more than enough materials.
Well . . . If "everybody" keeps talking about it, there must be a reason, right? And unless you've signed up for and have personally experienced Seperac, your whole "great PR firm" quack is a useless, unnecessary slight. Standard bar courses often fail, especially BarBri, which is crap as far as I'm concerned. And why spend hundreds of dollars on a 2nd jurisdiction bar review course when Seperac may get the job done, on the cheap.

From what I hear, for NY, Seperac is a must: --LinkRemoved--

Take it or leave it, hate it or love it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Codicil

New

Post by Codicil » Tue May 13, 2014 10:11 am

Jay Heizenburg wrote:From what I hear, for NY, Seperac is a must: --LinkRemoved--
:roll: I know more than a dozen people who have passed the NY bar in the last two years. All did so with either BarBri, Kaplan, or Themis. Seperac is not a must.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue May 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Jay Heizenburg wrote:
5ky wrote:Everybody keeps talking about seperac. That guy must have a great PR firm. Take your standard bar course and pass. No need to shell out extra $$ for stuff you don't need. Barbri/Themis/Kaplan/whatever will give you more than enough materials.
Well . . . If "everybody" keeps talking about it, there must be a reason, right? And unless you've signed up for and have personally experienced Seperac, your whole "great PR firm" quack is a useless, unnecessary slight. Standard bar courses often fail, especially BarBri, which is crap as far as I'm concerned. And why spend hundreds of dollars on a 2nd jurisdiction bar review course when Seperac may get the job done, on the cheap.

From what I hear, for NY, Seperac is a must: --LinkRemoved--

Take it or leave it, hate it or love it.
Because the person said they already have a complete set of Barbri books + lecture handouts? So it's actualy the opposite, you are advocating they spend extra money on something that is totally 100% unnecessary.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Use dem lean sheets.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue May 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Use dem lean sheets.

rburgundy

New

Post by rburgundy » Thu May 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Use dem lean sheets.
How are the lean sheets for doing MBEs? Do they contain all the info you'll need?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”