FLORIDA BAR - JULY 2014 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MSPLaw

New

Re: FLORIDA BAR - JULY 2014

Post by MSPLaw » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Will they give her any kind of details on what the hold up might be in her bar results letter? If it's taken this long, I feel like there has to be some snag or unavailable information.

whatthelaw

New

Post by whatthelaw » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:04 pm

neveragain224 wrote:I'm not authorized to be sworn in either. No idea what could be wrong with my application - I didn't turn it in until late April, though, so hopefully there's just a delay in processing.
I'm not either. I took the August MPRE (passed), so maybe that slowed things down...

silky bruh

Bronze

Post by silky bruh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

I wasn't cleared beforehand but have full authorization now. What do I bring to the judge if I want to do the ceremony on Wednesday?

b.sunshine

New

Post by b.sunshine » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 pm

silky bruh wrote:I wasn't cleared beforehand but have full authorization now. What do I bring to the judge if I want to do the ceremony on Wednesday?

You need to wait for the form in the mail. That is what the lady from the Florida Bar told me over the phone.

SchantC

New

Post by SchantC » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:27 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
b.sunshine wrote:Where did you find that chart?
The Lexis Nexis UF Facebook page posted it. I can't find it on the FL Bar website though so take it with a grain of salt for now hah.

Same numbers posted here: http://barprofessors.blogspot.com/2014/ ... ts_95.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silky bruh

Bronze

Post by silky bruh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:32 pm

b.sunshine wrote:
silky bruh wrote:I wasn't cleared beforehand but have full authorization now. What do I bring to the judge if I want to do the ceremony on Wednesday?

You need to wait for the form in the mail. That is what the lady from the Florida Bar told me over the phone.
Hmmm. Didn't think that was the case. Throws a wrench in things.

b.sunshine

New

Post by b.sunshine » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:37 pm

silky bruh wrote:
b.sunshine wrote:

I did not think that was the case either but that is what the Florida Bar lady told me. My friend who passed the bar last year said that the packet came in the mail within a day or two so you can still do the swearing in on Wed. if you get the packet.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:37 pm

SchantC wrote:
abogadoUF wrote:I guess I'll do Themis + old Bar Bri multiple choice books. Congrats to everyone.

Just wanted to chime in regarding Themis for FL. I did just over 80% of the course and my experience mirrors most of what was said here. I thought they did a good job with essays and MBE. State MC was lacking and I was convinced I had failed day one as a result (I ended up passing both parts by some miracle). The FL practice questions were repetitive and the wrong answers were very obviously wrong. On test day the wrong answers were far less obvious. Spend some extra time reviewing the state outlines and don't get overly confident based on practice question success.

As far as the MBE, I think I spent too much time worrying about the lectures. If I had to do it over again I would have spent more time doing practice questions and less time on the lectures. The Themis practice questions for the MBE are straight from old exams, so there were no surprises on test day. Overall, I felt well prepared for the MBE.

Essays- plenty of practice essays with model answers and I had good feedback from my essay adviser. I think Themis did a good job here (despite the curve ball on test day with 2 contracts essays).

Overall, I would recommend you save yourself a decent chunk of cash and go with Themis, but just keep in mind the practice Fl MC shortcomings. Good luck!
Duly noted!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:57 pm

b.sunshine wrote:
silky bruh wrote:
b.sunshine wrote:

I did not think that was the case either but that is what the Florida Bar lady told me. My friend who passed the bar last year said that the packet came in the mail within a day or two so you can still do the swearing in on Wed. if you get the packet.
This is correct

Gotta wait for the packet unless you know a judge who has the materials

Grats to all u passers I knew y'all could do it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm

MoneyMay wrote:PASS PASS PASS
Team PASS

CONGRATS!!

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:38 am

Anyone know when we will receive our stuff from the bar? Is it today or tomorrow?

silky bruh

Bronze

Post by silky bruh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 am

Seminole_305 wrote:Anyone know when we will receive our stuff from the bar? Is it today or tomorrow?
They said it's already mailed, so hopefully today or tomorrow.

Jehu

New

Post by Jehu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:18 pm

Passed...therefore, no fed civ pro in Feb.

Got the packet today. It lists six places for the induction ceremonies being held on Oct. 8.

Supreme Court of Florida - 3 PM - Tallahassee
2nd DCA - 10:30 AM - Tampa
3rd DCA - 10:30 AM and 2 PM (based on last name) - Miami
4th DCA - 11 AM - West Palm Beach
5th DCA - 2 PM - Daytona

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

plouis

New

Post by plouis » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 pm

"Will they give her any kind of details on what the hold up might be in her bar results letter? If it's taken this long, I feel like there has to be some snag or unavailable information."

I know that after six months they have to give you a concrete reason. I tried mailing them at the beginning of September and didn't get anything back other than the usual "We're working on it." I'm not authorized either. I'm hoping that at their last Board meeting they got through my application. I think that's how it works.

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Jehu wrote:Passed...therefore, no fed civ pro in Feb.

Got the packet today. It lists six places for the induction ceremonies being held on Oct. 8.

5th DCA - 2 PM - Daytona
Did they happen to give you a breakdown of your scores?

Jehu

New

Post by Jehu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:10 am

AJS30 wrote:
Jehu wrote:Passed...therefore, no fed civ pro in Feb.

5th DCA - 2 PM - Daytona
Did they happen to give you a breakdown of your scores?
They give you the scaled scores for Part A and Part B.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Anyone know what the ceremony is like?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

plouis

New

Post by plouis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 pm

151/152!

Still no C&F. At least I have "priority."

b.sunshine

New

Post by b.sunshine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:17 pm

plouis wrote:151/152!

Still no C&F. At least I have "priority."
You killed it! Congrats!

Hopefully I get my letter today!

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:17 pm

I got my FL bar score today

For background, I took Barbri. Because of moving to FL from another state and plain laziness, I had completed only 18% of the program three weeks before the Bar. Specifically, I had finished 4 MBE subjects and 2 FL subjects by then. I panicked and study 18 hours every day for the remaining 3 weeks. I was able to complete 38% of the Barbri Program.

Exam day: I thought the essays, except for the Trust and Estate one, were fairly difficult. But once I had finished them I knew I would pass because essays were my weakness. The FL afternoon session was a joke for me. I finished with 1 hour to go and there were only two questions that were extremely hard for me. For the MBE, the morning session was easy. But the afternoon session was very hard; In fact, I barely finish it.

My scores

MBE: 164
FL: 160

Good luck to folks still awaiting results.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Got my results today and I got a 164 on Part A and a 174 on Part B. I read through the thread from last year an got some great advice so I am going to lay out what I did to hopefully help some people in the future.

First off, I did BarBri and I know it's expensive but if I did this over I would do Barbri again. With that said, I did not follow BarBri's schedule very closely but I really liked their materials.

FL Portion: Besides watching the FL lectures when they came up and filling out the handouts, I did not seriously study the FL MC or the essays until 3 weeks before the bar exam. I focused heavily on the MBE because the FL section is notoriously random/ difficult which makes it harder to study for, while I thought the MBE was more predictable and so I thought my time was better spent focusing on the MBE since FL averages Part A and Part B and I could make up for a crappy Part A performance with the MBE. I also did not submit an essay for grading to BarBri after the first one because quite frankly their essay grading is a joke and that was the only time I wrote out a full essay. I also barely did any practice MCs for FL and I focused memorizing the handouts verbatim. During the last 3 weeks my focus shifted from the MBE to FL. I finished the FL MC 90 minutes early and knew I killed it. Oh, and I also fucked up an essay and literally did not respond to half the prompt, had a mini break down during the lunch break and regrouped, and then just kept pushing so there is definitely room for error on this exam. I seriously thought I was going to fail and didn't sleep that night which made the MBE not very much fun the next day.

MBE: My main advice is use Adaptibar in addition to the BarBri MBE stuff. People are complaining about the MBE but after doing almost all the MBE questions on Adaptibar (I think I did around 1,000) I felt confident during the MBE and was surprised when people thought it was difficult. And there was definitely stuff on there I didn't know, but I knew I didn't know it so I would just guess quickly and move on and not waste any time panicking once I realized I didn't know it. I never did the AMP after the first couple weeks.

I think the bottom line is do what works for you. I fell behind by like 3 days at one point and was so exhausted the week before the exam that I took 2 full days off and was sure I was going to fail since I wasn't cramming and it turned out okay, so my advice for future test takers is always just keep pushing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bld2414

New

Post by bld2414 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Anyone in SoFlo still waiting for snail mail results?

b.sunshine

New

Post by b.sunshine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:32 pm

bld2414 wrote:Anyone in SoFlo still waiting for snail mail results?
I am still waiting. I am in Palm Beach County.

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:43 pm

b.sunshine wrote:
For what it's worth.. no results in Ohio..

b.sunshine

New

Post by b.sunshine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:14 pm

cj2k14 wrote:
b.sunshine wrote:
For what it's worth.. no results in Ohio..
I got my letter today.

Part A: 154 Part B: 144

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”