How Many Bar Exams> Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

How Many Bar Exams?

Poll ended at Sat May 10, 2014 4:46 pm

38%
38%
5%
more
19%

Total votes: 21

Dafaq

Bronze

How Many Bar Exams>

Post by Dafaq » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 pm

I originally thought I’d be only taking one bar exam, now I find out that I have to register in an adjoining state. Not totally unexpected and the firm will be paying all fees.

How many bar exams are you taking or did you take as a first year joining firm associate?

patogordo

Gold

Re: How Many Bar Exams>

Post by patogordo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm going for the completionist achievement. does Puerto Rico have a bar exam?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:53 pm

patogordo wrote:I'm going for the completionist achievement. does Puerto Rico have a bar exam?
+1. I also took the qualified lawyers transfer test, so that I can be licensed to practice in the UK and northern Ireland. You never know when an extra bar admission might be useful, so it's clearly worth spending the $60k /year in bar dues to keep my licenses in 83 jurisdictions.

uvauvauva

New

Post by uvauvauva » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:03 pm

I took the NY and then I took Cali in the Feb b/c I am thinking about moving to cali.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:08 pm

I'll be taking NY/NJ in July and CT in February (one extra day).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Extremely small response but nevertheless, one bar exam seems to be the norm. Hard to comprehend why 3 more exams is on anyone’s plate.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Dafaq wrote:Extremely small response but nevertheless, one bar exam seems to be the norm. Hard to comprehend why 3 more exams is on anyone’s plate.
Do you want to make partner or what? Doing the bar minimum isn't going to cut it.

You should at least have NY/NJ and DC. You can do those all at once.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 pm

I can see where those in the NE (or BL) might require that combination. For those outside the NE, their home office state and possibly one adjoining state. My offered firm has an office in an adjoining state, thus two exams for me.

(Office as in, one phone and probably a copier… we’re registered there).

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:12 pm

Dafaq wrote:I can see where those in the NE (or BL) might require that combination. For those outside the NE, their home office state and possibly one adjoining state. My offered firm has an office in an adjoining state, thus two exams for me.

(Office as in, one phone and probably a copier… we’re registered there).
Even then I doubt it's necessary. If your firm doesn't have anyone there (or you're a solo) just hire a local counsel until you reach the 5 year mark and can waive in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

duckpunchingmaniac

New

Post by duckpunchingmaniac » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Dafaq wrote:I originally thought I’d be only taking one bar exam, now I find out that I have to register in an adjoining state. Not totally unexpected and the firm will be paying all fees.

How many bar exams are you taking or did you take as a first year joining firm associate?
What are your plans beyond being a first year associate? I have friends working in DC who are taking their home state's bar-you can waive in with an out of state MBE and you need the MPRE. So they're taking New York or New Jersey in case they want to go back some day. I have an unemployed friend who's taking the Pennsylvania bar (and possibly the NJ bar) because it's a big state, he likes Pittsburgh and Philly, and it has reciprocity with his home state. Lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what have yous.

duckpunchingmaniac

New

Post by duckpunchingmaniac » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:29 pm

uvauvauva wrote:I took the NY and then I took Cali in the Feb b/c I am thinking about moving to cali.
Damn. Were you working while studying for the CA bar?

duckpunchingmaniac

New

Post by duckpunchingmaniac » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 pm

champ33 wrote:I'll be taking NY/NJ in July and CT in February (one extra day).
So I take it you can transfer your MBE score from a previous administration?

May I ask why CT? I'm taking NY/NJ as well, I thought about adding CT just for shits and giggles but you can't take them all in July.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm

duckpunchingmaniac wrote:
champ33 wrote:I'll be taking NY/NJ in July and CT in February (one extra day).
So I take it you can transfer your MBE score from a previous administration?

May I ask why CT? I'm taking NY/NJ as well, I thought about adding CT just for shits and giggles but you can't take them all in July.
I have a 1-year clerkship there, but go to school in NY, and am just not sure what kind of opportunities I will have afterwards. Taking three bars will be awful but I figured it will up my chances of finding something I want to do next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:30 pm

What kind of job requires you to be barred in multiple states? Can't your firm's attorneys just appear pro hac vice and hire local counsel like biglaw firms do?

Edit: It appears that some of you are doing this to search for jobs in multiple states, which sounds crazy to me but w/e.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:What kind of job requires you to be barred in multiple states? Can't your firm's attorneys just appear pro hac vice and hire local counsel like biglaw firms do?

Edit: It appears that some of you are doing this to search for jobs in multiple states, which sounds crazy to me but w/e.
For biglaw in certain markets it is the norm to be barred in multiple states.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:What kind of job requires you to be barred in multiple states? Can't your firm's attorneys just appear pro hac vice and hire local counsel like biglaw firms do?

WTF. Why? Which markets (so I know where to never practice law)?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Kansas City and DC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 pm

I've heard that a lot of biglaw firms have started to require SAs apply to take the bar in NYC, Hawaii, and Montana to be considered for an offer.

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: For biglaw in certain markets it is the norm to be barred in multiple states.
Kansas City and DC.
DC isn't a state, and it's not like you're taking DC plus another bar exam. It's just any state plus waive in, or the UBE. So I suppose you could do the UBE and then potentially get 13 states plus DC. Do this after going to law school in Wisconsin and that's 15 states + DC, all from one bar exam.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You're pretty awesome.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 am

Moved to appropriate forum.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:05 am

duckpunchingmaniac wrote:What are your plans beyond being a first year associate? I have friends working in DC who are taking their home state's bar-you can waive in with an out of state MBE and you need the MPRE. So they're taking New York or New Jersey in case they want to go back some day. I have an unemployed friend who's taking the Pennsylvania bar (and possibly the NJ bar) because it's a big state, he likes Pittsburgh and Philly, and it has reciprocity with his home state. Lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what have yous.
Happy to be a Texan working in Texas. Yes, a Pa. firm wanting associates admitted to NJ is pretty much the same as a Texas firm wanting Okla admittance (or Ark, LA). Maybe in the end I'll be barred in several states but for now two is enough!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”