California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Carryon

Bronze

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Post by Carryon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:19 am

MURPH wrote:Improving by 10 wpm will add 300 words - about a page to each 1 hour essay if you write for 30 minutes. I only spent 20 minutes per night on typing. I really did not spend much time on it and I don't recommend wasting too much energy on it.
How much was your WPM?

chass

New

Post by chass » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Mine was around 50 WPM.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:56 pm

MURPH wrote:
El Pollito wrote:So um what do I do to get admitted after I pass moral character?
They should mail you some form. Go to judge and ask him to swear you in, sign and stamp the form. Then mail it to the Cal Bar. Pay them. in a few days you will be listed on their website as a lawyer with a nice new number.
Cool, thanks. Guess I will do this after vacation since my mail is in New York.

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:24 pm

chass wrote:Mine was around 50 WPM.
Mine is around 30 WPM. I noticed that grader comments on graded essays at baressays.com indicated that word counts of 700 to 900 words per essay are too short. But then again, some of the scores with the low word count were 65 and above. What is your take on this?

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Carryon wrote:
Mine is around 30 WPM. I noticed that grader comments on graded essays at baressays.com indicated that word counts of 700 to 900 words per essay are too short. But then again, some of the scores with the low word count were 65 and above. What is your take on this?
Sorry to jump in but as someone who used baressays grading service, I just have to. Their service was without a doubt the worst grading service I ever used. 100%. I was unfortunate enough to have to take the CA Bar twice and the first time I used baressays for essay grading. After passing the second time, I was curious about how those comments matched up since now I knew what I did wrong and I was shocked. They graed you based on the issues you hit. Not the analysis (which is a massive deal with CA). Barely the rule statements. It looked as if they copy and pasted each of their comments from one essay to another and these weren't insightful comments by any means. If I had any advice, finish whatever essay submissions you have left with them and then use someone/something else. Seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:54 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
Carryon wrote:
Sorry to jump in but as someone who used baressays grading service, I just have to. Their service was without a doubt the worst grading service I ever used. 100%. I was unfortunate enough to have to take the CA Bar twice and the first time I used baressays for essay grading. After passing the second time, I was curious about how those comments matched up since now I knew what I did wrong and I was shocked. They graed you based on the issues you hit. Not the analysis (which is a massive deal with CA). Barely the rule statements. It looked as if they copy and pasted each of their comments from one essay to another and these weren't insightful comments by any means. If I had any advice, finish whatever essay submissions you have left with them and then use someone/something else. Seriously.
Thanks for the info. I have not had anyone graded my practice essays yet. I do have barmax subscription which allows for 2 free graded essays/pts. it does seem that the grades are based on issue spotting, though not sure. What do you think?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I feel like getting the issues down is most important. Rule application does have to be clean, but it's probably not where most of the points are. IMO.

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 am

a male human wrote:I feel like getting the issues down is most important. Rule application does have to be clean, but it's probably not where most of the points are. IMO.
That's what i am seeing too. Getting all the issue is critical.

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 pm

This is a wild request. I seem to miss hitting the space bar when I am typing on my laptop, since the keys are flushed with the lap top frame. Hence, sometimes, I hit the laptop frame adjacent the space bar key and thus do not hit the space bar. Thus, some of words arenotspaceapart. As you can see this takes valuable extra time away from typing the exam to correct the words. Anybody have a similar problem and what did they do to solve it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Carryon wrote:This is a wild request. I seem to miss hitting the space bar when I am typing on my laptop, since the keys are flushed with the lap top frame. Hence, sometimes, I hit the laptop frame adjacent the space bar key and thus do not hit the space bar. Thus, some of words arenotspaceapart. As you can see this takes valuable extra time away from typing the exam to correct the words. Anybody have a similar problem and what did they do to solve it?
1) don't forget to look up at the screen every once in a while while you are typing.
2) practice hitting the spacebar. slowdown while you re-adjust your muscle memory, then pick back up on the speed.
3) alternatively, get an external keyboard that does not present you with this problem.

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 pm

fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote:This is a wild request. I seem to miss hitting the space bar when I am typing on my laptop, since the keys are flushed with the lap top frame. Hence, sometimes, I hit the laptop frame adjacent the space bar key and thus do not hit the space bar. Thus, some of words arenotspaceapart. As you can see this takes valuable extra time away from typing the exam to correct the words. Anybody have a similar problem and what did they do to solve it?
1) don't forget to look up at the screen every once in a while while you are typing.
2) practice hitting the spacebar. slowdown while you re-adjust your muscle memory, then pick back up on the speed.
3) alternatively, get an external keyboard that does not present you with this problem.
Thanks, I am tempted to get an external keyboard, if it is allowed in the exam room.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Carryon wrote:
fl0w wrote:
Thanks, I am tempted to get an external keyboard, if it is allowed in the exam room.
It is

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:21 pm

fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote:
fl0w wrote:
It is
Did you see any exam takers using them? How did they fare?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Carryon wrote:
fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote: Thanks, I am tempted to get an external keyboard, if it is allowed in the exam room.
It is
Many people did. How did they fare? Who knows. They were clearly typing, but I would have no insight into how they actually did.

Nobody threw their keyboard across the room if that's what you mean.

Carryon

Bronze

Post by Carryon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:59 pm

fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote:
fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote: Thanks, I am tempted to get an external keyboard, if it is allowed in the exam room.
It is
Many people did. How did they fare? Who knows. They were clearly typing, but I would have no insight into how they actually did.

Nobody threw their keyboard across the room if that's what you mean.
Wow, so a lot of people may have had my problem. They type faster on an external keyboard than the laptop keyboard. I assume that they used a wireless keyboard. Is that correct?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Just use what you like. You're worrying too much about this. Worry about knowing the law and how to write your essays.

CourtneyElizabeth

Bronze

Post by CourtneyElizabeth » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Not taking CA bar again. Anyone want to purchase a full set of Kaplan CA bar books? Anyone know anyone else that would be interested in them? PM me or email me CourtneyEFMcNulty@gmail.com.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chass

New

Post by chass » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Carryon wrote:
I don't think word count matters so long as you spotted all issues and have the correct rule statements. I followed 2807's advice on fact to rule application and nothing more. I use to be at 25 and used Mavis to help get it up to 50.

TitoSantana

New

Post by TitoSantana » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:11 am

FYI -- Examsoft class action lawsuit percolating...

http://www.dailydot.com/business/bar-ex ... n-lawsuit/

TitoSantana

New

Post by TitoSantana » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:12 am

--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CourtneyElizabeth

Bronze

Post by CourtneyElizabeth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Ugh. UGH UGH UGH I'm doing it again.

CourtneyElizabeth

Bronze

Post by CourtneyElizabeth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:59 pm

WHERES THE LINK TO THE FEB 2015 TORTURE THREAD?!?!?!

CourtneyElizabeth

Bronze

Post by CourtneyElizabeth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Did anyone that passed use a tutor? I'm thinking I need a more on-on-one, intense approach. Self-study and those giant bar courses (KAPLAN, BarBri) don't cut it for me.
Thanks!!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:03 am

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:Did anyone that passed use a tutor? I'm thinking I need a more on-on-one, intense approach. Self-study and those giant bar courses (KAPLAN, BarBri) don't cut it for me.
Thanks!!
i used a tutor. i felt the same way about kaplan/barbri

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”