Barbri for peace of mind for the NY July 2014 bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Barbri for peace of mind for the NY July 2014 bar?

Post by kalvano » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:29 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
kalvano wrote:Didn't you fail the NY bar?
No, he failed other bars, just not NY/NJ.

Ah, OK. Carry on then. The Separac thing sounds cool.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you learn from an outline, I think Tls is right. Just bar outlines and a q bank. Less than five hundo.

If you want the lectures and essay feedback Id go Themis.
Bar outlines has a question bank. It isn't all that different from barbri, them is, etc. All you have to add is essay info that is free on the NY bar website.

It is a comprehensive and effective course that does it all for 99 bucks. I did it and nothing else and passed comfortably.

rock steady

New

Post by rock steady » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:13 am

I took Themis and passed. I took it mainly because it was cheaper and because I didn't have to be around neurotic bar examinees that would have stressed me the hell out.

owlofminerva

New

Post by owlofminerva » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 am

While not a bar course in itself, I also recommend the MBE flashcards by Critical Pass. They are a little pricey, but very well-developed. My study group over the summer used them to avoid making our own flashcards and have something we could quiz each other in the car or at the beach or whatever without lugging books and outlines somewhere. I wish they had a NY-specific set of cards too, though.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 am

Great thread. I want to take Baroutlines.com but will probably go with Themis because I'm too terrified of failing. I've heard bad things about the MBE portion of Baroutlines and feel that buying a separate MBE from adaptibar or similar services would kind of cancel out the savings. I'm still not 100% sure on what I'm going to do. It's going to come down to what discounts I can get from inexpensive bar prep programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 pm

kapital98 wrote:Great thread. I want to take Baroutlines.com but will probably go with Themis because I'm too terrified of failing. I've heard bad things about the MBE portion of Baroutlines and feel that buying a separate MBE from adaptibar or similar services would kind of cancel out the savings. I'm still not 100% sure on what I'm going to do. It's going to come down to what discounts I can get from inexpensive bar prep programs.
I got baroutlines. I liked them because of their MP3 but I didn't like it for MBE. i also used themis. I thought it was probably the single greatest thing in the world for the MBE but shit for NY specific. For NY specific, it did a terrible job of narrowing down what was going to be on the exam. Made you study too much for stuff that there was 0 chance of being on the exam. Keep that in mind.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Great thread. I want to take Baroutlines.com but will probably go with Themis because I'm too terrified of failing. I've heard bad things about the MBE portion of Baroutlines and feel that buying a separate MBE from adaptibar or similar services would kind of cancel out the savings. I'm still not 100% sure on what I'm going to do. It's going to come down to what discounts I can get from inexpensive bar prep programs.
I got baroutlines. I liked them because of their MP3 but I didn't like it for MBE. i also used themis. I thought it was probably the single greatest thing in the world for the MBE but shit for NY specific. For NY specific, it did a terrible job of narrowing down what was going to be on the exam. Made you study too much for stuff that there was 0 chance of being on the exam. Keep that in mind.
Thanks.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:BarBri's shtick is to terrify you that you're not going to pass unless you DO EVERYTHING BARBRI SAYS (I swear they grade essays down for this reason), so that doesn't surprise me.
I did Barbri, passed, and the only reason I wouldn't suggest it is that it stressed me out unnecessarily. I'm usually one of those people who is fairly confident in my ability to do well without spending my whole life studying. And I tried to maintain that mindset throughout Barbri, but it became impossible. Barbri just assigns a ton of work, and I think it might just drain you more than prepare you. I think the other prep companies are a bit more chill. That said, lots of people need to be scared, so if that works for you, maybe Barbri is worth it.

SKlei

New

Post by SKlei » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:08 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:BarBri's shtick is to terrify you that you're not going to pass unless you DO EVERYTHING BARBRI SAYS (I swear they grade essays down for this reason), so that doesn't surprise me.
I did Barbri, passed, and the only reason I wouldn't suggest it is that it stressed me out unnecessarily. I'm usually one of those people who is fairly confident in my ability to do well without spending my whole life studying. And I tried to maintain that mindset throughout Barbri, but it became impossible. Barbri just assigns a ton of work, and I think it might just drain you more than prepare you. I think the other prep companies are a bit more chill. That said, lots of people need to be scared, so if that works for you, maybe Barbri is worth it.
In response to Bronx Bum's post, did you feel that Barbri had a good approach for the NY portion?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:12 pm

SKlei wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
In response to Bronx Bum's post, did you feel that Barbri had a good approach for the NY portion?
I thought the whole "watch video with NY law, write essay, read essay answer" worked. I don't know my NY essay score, but I felt confident walking out of that portion of the exam. That said, I think all the bar prep companies have the same approach.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:19 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
SKlei wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
I thought the whole "watch video with NY law, write essay, read essay answer" worked. I don't know my NY essay score, but I felt confident walking out of that portion of the exam. That said, I think all the bar prep companies have the same approach.
I did themis + seperac.

ironman467

Silver

Post by ironman467 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Ohio releases essay scores. I wrote essays that would cover every issue and state the law correctly in a well written manner. Barbri always gave me a 3. No matter what. The Ohio examiners gave me perfect scores if I did that.

If I was making shit up and sound like an idiot, I got a 3 on the real thing.

Barbri just tries to scare you.

knickfan

Bronze

Post by knickfan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:03 pm

-
Last edited by knickfan on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:39 pm

^^^BAR ETHICS VIOLATION ALERT CODE RED^^^

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:11 am

thesealocust wrote:^^^BAR ETHICS VIOLATION ALERT CODE RED^^^
I have no opinion not do I care what this dude does. But lol if u think the bar is going to give a shit. C&f is a joke.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:24 am

knickfan wrote:Anyone interested in splitting costs for Separac? "Master Feb 2014" just released but carries a $350 price tag. To get more information about the outline and and see whats available on the subscription site as of today, check the following link: http://seperac.com/bar/order.php

If interested, PM me.
I did seperac in July. It was the single greatest thing I did for the bar. Probably would have failed without it.

knickfan

Bronze

Post by knickfan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:31 am

-

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”