NY Bar Exam Application

happyhour1122
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby happyhour1122 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:48 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Guess I should get on sending my application in, huh.... Slacking....

Took February 2017, still gathering affidavits. This is annoying.


I think there are people that passed the exam in 2016 and still gathering affidavits :) you are not slacking.



Oh.. Whew! Just think.. I'll be way ahead of the crowd if I don't pass... :lol: :lol:


I was thinking that too....

ellewoods123
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ellewoods123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Submitted app to 2nd dept about a month ago. Called today. App marked complete and was told I would receive a notice in the mail telling me an interview date, "but no idea when that will be." Any insight? Getting anxious.

HonestAdvice
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:Submitted app to 2nd dept about a month ago. Called today. App marked complete and was told I would receive a notice in the mail telling me an interview date, "but no idea when that will be." Any insight? Getting anxious.

Probably logistics on their end, and not you. If they need anything, they'll ask you. It's like when Eric Cartman is a police officer. All you need to do is respect their authority, and you're good.

jj252525
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:47 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby jj252525 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:05 pm

gerrod11 wrote:Hi everyone, so I just got an e-mail from the 3rd department saying that my application is complete. My c&f interview is on June 27th at 9am and the swearing in is on June 28th meaning I'm going to need to stay in Albany two nights. I was wondering if anyone had hotel recommendations? Thanks!


Hilton looked like the best of few options in Albany. My interview is on Monday the 26th and ceremony on the 28th. I'm from out of state (country) so I'm making a vacation of it... in Albany. Any recommendations?

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby lolabear727 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 am

jj252525 wrote:
gerrod11 wrote:Hi everyone, so I just got an e-mail from the 3rd department saying that my application is complete. My c&f interview is on June 27th at 9am and the swearing in is on June 28th meaning I'm going to need to stay in Albany two nights. I was wondering if anyone had hotel recommendations? Thanks!


Hilton looked like the best of few options in Albany. My interview is on Monday the 26th and ceremony on the 28th. I'm from out of state (country) so I'm making a vacation of it... in Albany. Any recommendations?


Is this for the February exam or did you take July 16?

jj252525
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:47 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby jj252525 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:29 am

lolabear727 wrote:
jj252525 wrote:
gerrod11 wrote:Hi everyone, so I just got an e-mail from the 3rd department saying that my application is complete. My c&f interview is on June 27th at 9am and the swearing in is on June 28th meaning I'm going to need to stay in Albany two nights. I was wondering if anyone had hotel recommendations? Thanks!


Hilton looked like the best of few options in Albany. My interview is on Monday the 26th and ceremony on the 28th. I'm from out of state (country) so I'm making a vacation of it... in Albany. Any recommendations?


Is this for the February exam or did you take July 16?


Took July 16 exam. Because of logistical challenges associated with my out-of-country situation and an additional request from 3D, my call was a bit delayed.

dionysius1
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby dionysius1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 pm

I took the Feb Bar in Albany. Stayed at the Renaissance Hotel. Awesome rooms, and perfect location

jj252525
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:47 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby jj252525 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Does anyone have any insight on the ceremony? My parents are really pushing me to be able to come but I get the sense it's pretty quick. Any info on the ceremony or space for guests would be great.

Thanks.

aimo5656
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby aimo5656 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:48 pm

I am going to the 3rd Dept. swearing-in ceremony this June. I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) I am staying at the Hilton Albany and I was wondering if the hotel has a shuttle service from the train station?

2) I plan on leaving after the swearing-in ceremony so I was wondering if it's permissible to bring your luggage with you to the ceremony since I plan on leaving afterwards?

Thanks to anyone who answers!

NoLongerALurker
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby NoLongerALurker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:37 pm

jj252525 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on the ceremony? My parents are really pushing me to be able to come but I get the sense it's pretty quick. Any info on the ceremony or space for guests would be great.

Thanks.

What department?

jj252525
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:47 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby jj252525 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:36 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:
jj252525 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on the ceremony? My parents are really pushing me to be able to come but I get the sense it's pretty quick. Any info on the ceremony or space for guests would be great.

Thanks.

What department?


3rd

User avatar
bda
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bda » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:50 am

The bar exam's official instructions blow and I have an irrational fear I'm missing something to turn in.

Just to clarify and make sure I'm turning in what I need to turn in by the correct dates, by April 30th (to sit the July 17 bar) I only have to turn in the form labeled "application" here, correct? http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm

The Law School Certificate as well as Moral Character and Employment Affidavits get turned in after sitting the bar, correct?

Additionally, within what sort of time frame do you get assigned your Department? I see all the other forms (besides the actual application) require you to know your department.

happyhour1122
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby happyhour1122 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 am

Is there a professional photographer at the ceremony?

User avatar
lolabear727
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby lolabear727 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:41 pm

bda wrote:The bar exam's official instructions blow and I have an irrational fear I'm missing something to turn in.

Just to clarify and make sure I'm turning in what I need to turn in by the correct dates, by April 30th (to sit the July 17 bar) I only have to turn in the form labeled "application" here, correct? http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm

The Law School Certificate as well as Moral Character and Employment Affidavits get turned in after sitting the bar, correct?

Additionally, within what sort of time frame do you get assigned your Department? I see all the other forms (besides the actual application) require you to know your department.


Hey bda - :D
Just the Application, the Law School Certificate and your Handwriting Sample get turned in. They will email you both forms after you complete the online application. I got mine about 6 days after. Then they will tell you what department. Then you will get your email with the link to choose your testing location about a month after that, then you get your seat ticket.

just_me
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby just_me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:11 pm

I'd also be interested in any insights or tips people might have as to the practicalities of the 3rd department ceremony.

My parents are coming and want to know if there's a dress code for guests! Also, I've been given a time to show up for my C&F interview (which I think is like 9am in the morning or something) but how do guests know what time to arrive?

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7877
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

just_me wrote:I'd also be interested in any insights or tips people might have as to the practicalities of the 3rd department ceremony.

My parents are coming and want to know if there's a dress code for guests! Also, I've been given a time to show up for my C&F interview (which I think is like 9am in the morning or something) but how do guests know what time to arrive?

I got admitted in the third department last year.

There's no dress code for anyone, but if you're getting admitted, it's good to wear a suit.

The ceremony, if I recall correctly, begins at noon (it may be 11, I forget). The ceremony is like an hour long and has speakers. It's nice to have family present but if it's a hassle (like if they live in California) then it's probably not worth it for them to travel. Everyone takes pictures next to the big "admitted to the New York bar" poster after the ceremony so try to do that before the ceremony.

jj252525
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:47 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby jj252525 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
just_me wrote:I'd also be interested in any insights or tips people might have as to the practicalities of the 3rd department ceremony.

My parents are coming and want to know if there's a dress code for guests! Also, I've been given a time to show up for my C&F interview (which I think is like 9am in the morning or something) but how do guests know what time to arrive?

I got admitted in the third department last year.

There's no dress code for anyone, but if you're getting admitted, it's good to wear a suit.

The ceremony, if I recall correctly, begins at noon (it may be 11, I forget). The ceremony is like an hour long and has speakers. It's nice to have family present but if it's a hassle (like if they live in California) then it's probably not worth it for them to travel. Everyone takes pictures next to the big "admitted to the New York bar" poster after the ceremony so try to do that before the ceremony.


Thanks so much for this information. On balance, can probably tell my parents it's not worth going? Any recon on Albany more generally?

FormerChild
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby FormerChild » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:14 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
bda wrote:The bar exam's official instructions blow and I have an irrational fear I'm missing something to turn in.

Just to clarify and make sure I'm turning in what I need to turn in by the correct dates, by April 30th (to sit the July 17 bar) I only have to turn in the form labeled "application" here, correct? http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm

The Law School Certificate as well as Moral Character and Employment Affidavits get turned in after sitting the bar, correct?

Additionally, within what sort of time frame do you get assigned your Department? I see all the other forms (besides the actual application) require you to know your department.


Hey bda - :D
Just the Application, the Law School Certificate and your Handwriting Sample get turned in. They will email you both forms after you complete the online application. I got mine about 6 days after. Then they will tell you what department. Then you will get your email with the link to choose your testing location about a month after that, then you get your seat ticket.



Wait, in addition to the application to sit for the bar, we have to turn in that application by April 30? I know BOLE send our school the Law School Certificate and Handwriting Sample and the school sends it back to them when its complete, but I thought otherwise we didn't start the actual application process until after the bar????
Last edited by FormerChild on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby cnk1220 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:26 pm

FormerChild wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
bda wrote:The bar exam's official instructions blow and I have an irrational fear I'm missing something to turn in.

Just to clarify and make sure I'm turning in what I need to turn in by the correct dates, by April 30th (to sit the July 17 bar) I only have to turn in the form labeled "application" here, correct? http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm

The Law School Certificate as well as Moral Character and Employment Affidavits get turned in after sitting the bar, correct?

Additionally, within what sort of time frame do you get assigned your Department? I see all the other forms (besides the actual application) require you to know your department.


Hey bda - :D
Just the Application, the Law School Certificate and your Handwriting Sample get turned in. They will email you both forms after you complete the online application. I got mine about 6 days after. Then they will tell you what department. Then you will get your email with the link to choose your testing location about a month after that, then you get your seat ticket.



Wait, we have to turn in that application by April 30? I know BOLE send our school the Law School Certificate and Handwriting Sample and the school sends it back to them when its complete, but I thought otherwise we didn't start the actual application process until after the bar????



As someone having done this already- it is a several page application which includes your basic info like name/address (but not character & fitness stuff, affidavits, etc.), law school info (name of school, credits, etc.) and the $250 fee-- this will all take you a half hour max. That must be done by april 30th, hard deadline. The law school form and handwriting sample get sent to you via email to send back to them after BOLE processes your application. Seat assignments came for me in the first week of january, I heard it was first week of june for july takers. Seat tix sent via email 10-14 days before the actual exam. Hope that helps!

FormerChild
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby FormerChild » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:50 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
bda wrote:The bar exam's official instructions blow and I have an irrational fear I'm missing something to turn in.

Just to clarify and make sure I'm turning in what I need to turn in by the correct dates, by April 30th (to sit the July 17 bar) I only have to turn in the form labeled "application" here, correct? http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm

The Law School Certificate as well as Moral Character and Employment Affidavits get turned in after sitting the bar, correct?

Additionally, within what sort of time frame do you get assigned your Department? I see all the other forms (besides the actual application) require you to know your department.


Hey bda - :D
Just the Application, the Law School Certificate and your Handwriting Sample get turned in. They will email you both forms after you complete the online application. I got mine about 6 days after. Then they will tell you what department. Then you will get your email with the link to choose your testing location about a month after that, then you get your seat ticket.



Wait, we have to turn in that application by April 30? I know BOLE send our school the Law School Certificate and Handwriting Sample and the school sends it back to them when its complete, but I thought otherwise we didn't start the actual application process until after the bar????



As someone having done this already- it is a several page application which includes your basic info like name/address (but not character & fitness stuff, affidavits, etc.), law school info (name of school, credits, etc.) and the $250 fee-- this will all take you a half hour max. That must be done by april 30th, hard deadline. The law school form and handwriting sample get sent to you via email to send back to them after BOLE processes your application. Seat assignments came for me in the first week of january, I heard it was first week of june for july takers. Seat tix sent via email 10-14 days before the actual exam. Hope that helps!


Appreciate the quick response! You're talking about the application to sit for the bar, correct? @Bda was referring to "Application for Admission to Practice as an Attorney and Counselor-at-Law in the State of New York Application for Admission Questionnaire." This application asks for the appellate division we've been assigned to, so I don't think we submit this particular form before the bar exam, right? I thought I was in good shape w/ all this but now I'm confused AF--eternally grateful for any clarification

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby cnk1220 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:56 pm

FormerChild wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
bda wrote:The bar exam's official instructions blow and I have an irrational fear I'm missing something to turn in.

Just to clarify and make sure I'm turning in what I need to turn in by the correct dates, by April 30th (to sit the July 17 bar) I only have to turn in the form labeled "application" here, correct? http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm

The Law School Certificate as well as Moral Character and Employment Affidavits get turned in after sitting the bar, correct?

Additionally, within what sort of time frame do you get assigned your Department? I see all the other forms (besides the actual application) require you to know your department.


Hey bda - :D
Just the Application, the Law School Certificate and your Handwriting Sample get turned in. They will email you both forms after you complete the online application. I got mine about 6 days after. Then they will tell you what department. Then you will get your email with the link to choose your testing location about a month after that, then you get your seat ticket.



Wait, we have to turn in that application by April 30? I know BOLE send our school the Law School Certificate and Handwriting Sample and the school sends it back to them when its complete, but I thought otherwise we didn't start the actual application process until after the bar????



As someone having done this already- it is a several page application which includes your basic info like name/address (but not character & fitness stuff, affidavits, etc.), law school info (name of school, credits, etc.) and the $250 fee-- this will all take you a half hour max. That must be done by april 30th, hard deadline. The law school form and handwriting sample get sent to you via email to send back to them after BOLE processes your application. Seat assignments came for me in the first week of january, I heard it was first week of june for july takers. Seat tix sent via email 10-14 days before the actual exam. Hope that helps!


Appreciate the quick response! You're talking about the application to sit for the bar, correct? @Bda was referring to "Application for Admission to Practice as an Attorney and Counselor-at-Law in the State of New York Application for Admission Questionnaire." This application asks for the appellate division we've been assigned to, so I don't think we submit this particular form before the bar exam, right? I thought I was in good shape w/ all this but now I'm confused AF--eternally grateful for any clarification



Yes correct- only submit application to sit for the bar exam before taking the bar, super quick and easy application + $250 fee at the end!


NY doesnt require you to complete the app to practice as an attorney + Qs re: moral character and all that good stuff until after you have taken the exam, this is different than majority of states which certify your moral character pre bar examination/actually require you to send in supporting docs re: moral character, affidavits, etc. prior to taking the exam.

Hope that clarifies!

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7877
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:04 pm

jj252525 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
just_me wrote:I'd also be interested in any insights or tips people might have as to the practicalities of the 3rd department ceremony.

My parents are coming and want to know if there's a dress code for guests! Also, I've been given a time to show up for my C&F interview (which I think is like 9am in the morning or something) but how do guests know what time to arrive?

I got admitted in the third department last year.

There's no dress code for anyone, but if you're getting admitted, it's good to wear a suit.

The ceremony, if I recall correctly, begins at noon (it may be 11, I forget). The ceremony is like an hour long and has speakers. It's nice to have family present but if it's a hassle (like if they live in California) then it's probably not worth it for them to travel. Everyone takes pictures next to the big "admitted to the New York bar" poster after the ceremony so try to do that before the ceremony.


Thanks so much for this information. On balance, can probably tell my parents it's not worth going? Any recon on Albany more generally?

Albany is a worthless town, it was tough for me and my parents to even find a decent lunch spot. It was a nice day with the parents though. It was a big trip for them (maybe a five hour drive) but I know they were really happy to be there. It's ultimately up to you.

ndp1234
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ndp1234 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
jj252525 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
just_me wrote:I'd also be interested in any insights or tips people might have as to the practicalities of the 3rd department ceremony.

My parents are coming and want to know if there's a dress code for guests! Also, I've been given a time to show up for my C&F interview (which I think is like 9am in the morning or something) but how do guests know what time to arrive?

I got admitted in the third department last year.

There's no dress code for anyone, but if you're getting admitted, it's good to wear a suit.

The ceremony, if I recall correctly, begins at noon (it may be 11, I forget). The ceremony is like an hour long and has speakers. It's nice to have family present but if it's a hassle (like if they live in California) then it's probably not worth it for them to travel. Everyone takes pictures next to the big "admitted to the New York bar" poster after the ceremony so try to do that before the ceremony.


Thanks so much for this information. On balance, can probably tell my parents it's not worth going? Any recon on Albany more generally?

Albany is a worthless town, it was tough for me and my parents to even find a decent lunch spot. It was a nice day with the parents though. It was a big trip for them (maybe a five hour drive) but I know they were really happy to be there. It's ultimately up to you.



I totally agree with Danger Zone. I relocated to Albany for work in September. Most of the decent restaurants are around New Scotland Ave or around Broadway/S Pearl Street, if you're desperate

iwantmybar
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:01 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby iwantmybar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 am

iwantmybar wrote:
ChocolateTruffle wrote:I'm in the Third Department. I got an email this morning saying that my interview is the morning of January 19th! A bit odd to have the interview the same day as the swearing in ceremony! Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask at the interview? Do I need to bring anything with me? Thanks!


3rd department here.

You are actually quite lucky because you have your interview and the swearing ceremony on the same day so you don't need to stay two days in Albany (which is a beautiful city but pretty dead, but beautiful). So you don't have to take two days off as well.

I got sworn in 2 weeks ago so it goes that way : you go to your interview at the time they told you to come. No need to come 30mn early. You'll be waiting in a room with maybe 50 candidates and everyone 'll be waiting to be called. It took me maybe 50 mn before being called so bring a book or your smartphone, some ppl were reading or playing games, it is not prohibided, this is not the bar.

The attorney who does the interview already has your file and quickly checked it. They don't have the time to spend more than 10mn with you because the last swearing ceremony is like at 11AM so they need to interview everyone. My interview lasted 10 mn and the attorney was a super nice person and asked me about my probono work. She was just there to verify If I wasn't a serial killer, that' s it. They don't try to trick you. I agree it might be a bit stressful but no need to worry, if you reach the interview step, it means that your filed has been approved. Just don't do anything stupid like screaming, crying for no reasons or being paranoid about the FBI following you. You know, this kind of stuff that will make uncomfortable everyone.

Then after your interview, you are given an enveloppe with a diploma and you go to the swearing ceremony (there is one at 10 am and another at 11 am i think). The swearing ceremony lasts 45mn to 1hour, you can take pictures etc, it's very well organized so it's all good.

Hence it was a very good experience.

Protips : wear a suit but no need to shave if you have a beard.

Protips for your wallet : if you arrive from the albany train station with amtrak, don't take a the greys cabs (i think those are called prestige company or sth) because they are very very very expensive (like 60 bucks ) to literally cross the damn river to downtown albany. I think this company has the monopoly to transport passengers from and to the station... find another way or walk. Uber doesnt work in Albany so call your hotel and ask them another cab company that the one waiting at the train station.

Also, i took Amtrak which was pretty good and if you are done earlier than you thought, you can catch an early train (you'll just have to pay the difference but it's like $2).

sr1986
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby sr1986 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Does anyone know how long does BOLE take to certify you (to the 3rd Dept in my case) after you pass the Bar, NYLE and MPRE. I passed the Bar in July 2016, NYLE in Dec. 2016 and found out yesterday that I passed the MPRE? I still haven't heard anything from NY BOLE. Thanks!




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anon3030, Bnbsfan, fear_no_evil, midwestrocks and 33 guests