NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm just going to ask this in case anyone has been in a similar boat. After reading through these posts, I'm kinda freaking out about how long it takes to get admitted. I am being admitted to NY by transfer of UBE score (passed NJ in F'17) because I am trying to work in NY starting in September. I assumed that once I sent my application packet in, it's a quick process to get interviewed and sworn in. (The other states I've dealt with allow you to just get sworn in before an attorney or judge where and when you want). From what people are saying, there seems to be designated dates that lots of applicants are assigned to. I'll be in the Third Department and sending my full application in within (hopefully) 3 weeks. Just waiting for the letter to come after passing today's NYLE (God willing). Is there no chance of being sworn in in August? I am doing this process along a different timeline than people who have taken the NY bar exam. I'm applying to jobs that require NY Bar admission and never thought for the life of me that it could possibly take so long to be sworn in if I just was transferring a score. Sigh, NY.

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:I'm just going to ask this in case anyone has been in a similar boat. After reading through these posts, I'm kinda freaking out about how long it takes to get admitted. I am being admitted to NY by transfer of UBE score (passed NJ in F'17) because I am trying to work in NY starting in September. I assumed that once I sent my application packet in, it's a quick process to get interviewed and sworn in. (The other states I've dealt with allow you to just get sworn in before an attorney or judge where and when you want). From what people are saying, there seems to be designated dates that lots of applicants are assigned to. I'll be in the Third Department and sending my full application in within (hopefully) 3 weeks. Just waiting for the letter to come after passing today's NYLE (God willing). Is there no chance of being sworn in in August? I am doing this process along a different timeline than people who have taken the NY bar exam. I'm applying to jobs that require NY Bar admission and never thought for the life of me that it could possibly take so long to be sworn in if I just was transferring a score. Sigh, NY.
Hi, I think I am in a similar boat (but I took the Bar Exam in NY). I have sent everything to the 3rd Dept except for a copy of the certification letter (waiting for the NYLE result) as I heard it would be good to submit the application documents early (but I'm not sure if this would help). I haven't heard back from the 3rd Dept yet. I'm looking to get sworn in in mid-August too.

The designated dates you mentioned can be found here: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/ad3/2017_ ... _Terms.pdf

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:48 pm

ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:I'm just going to ask this in case anyone has been in a similar boat. After reading through these posts, I'm kinda freaking out about how long it takes to get admitted. I am being admitted to NY by transfer of UBE score (passed NJ in F'17) because I am trying to work in NY starting in September. I assumed that once I sent my application packet in, it's a quick process to get interviewed and sworn in. (The other states I've dealt with allow you to just get sworn in before an attorney or judge where and when you want). From what people are saying, there seems to be designated dates that lots of applicants are assigned to. I'll be in the Third Department and sending my full application in within (hopefully) 3 weeks. Just waiting for the letter to come after passing today's NYLE (God willing). Is there no chance of being sworn in in August? I am doing this process along a different timeline than people who have taken the NY bar exam. I'm applying to jobs that require NY Bar admission and never thought for the life of me that it could possibly take so long to be sworn in if I just was transferring a score. Sigh, NY.
Hi, I think I am in a similar boat (but I took the Bar Exam in NY). I have sent everything to the 3rd Dept except for a copy of the certification letter (waiting for the NYLE result) as I heard it would be good to submit the application documents early (but I'm not sure if this would help). I haven't heard back from the 3rd Dept yet. I'm looking to get sworn in in mid-August too.

The designated dates you mentioned can be found here: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/ad3/2017_ ... _Terms.pdf
Wow, thanks for the chart! So you sent your documents in already? When I emailed the Third Department a few days ago about gathering documents, they told me that I could compile them but to wait to sign and notarize my application and to wait to send any documents until after I am certified to the Third Division office. (I know I'll be certified to the Third Division because I am out of state). This is contrary to what other people have said because they've sent their packets in before even passing the Bar. Maybe Divisions are different. That said, did you get an acknowledgement of what you sent in? I'm hoping for a miracle and to be given an August date!

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:

Wow, thanks for the chart! So you sent your documents in already? When I emailed the Third Department a few days ago about gathering documents, they told me that I could compile them but to wait to sign and notarize my application and to wait to send any documents until after I am certified to the Third Division office. (I know I'll be certified to the Third Division because I am out of state). This is contrary to what other people have said because they've sent their packets in before even passing the Bar. Maybe Divisions are different. That said, did you get an acknowledgement of what you sent in? I'm hoping for a miracle and to be given an August date!
I recalled I have seen a PDF (something like FAQ) on the 3rd Dept website, which suggests that we can send in the application package first, and after we have got a copy of the certification letter, we should send that in asap.

If I recall correctly, I think the general instructions for the application also suggest that for 3rd Dept, we can send in the application package before we know the Bar Exam results.

I couriered the documents to the 3rd Dept, and received an acknowledgement of receipt by email the following day.

Hope we will both get sworn in in mid-August then!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:30 am

ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:

I recalled I have seen a PDF (something like FAQ) on the 3rd Dept website, which suggests that we can send in the application package first, and after we have got a copy of the certification letter, we should send that in asap.

If I recall correctly, I think the general instructions for the application also suggest that for 3rd Dept, we can send in the application package before we know the Bar Exam results.

I couriered the documents to the 3rd Dept, and received an acknowledgement of receipt by email the following day.

I went on the website and totally see exactly what you said now. I think in my case because I am transferring a UBE score, I have to wait to submit any documents until I officially get the certification letter. I am overnighting anything I send there and then following up like crazy lol. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jj252525

New

Post by jj252525 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Quick question for you all - for the ceremony itself in Albany, my parents plan on attending. Do they just show up and can attend, or is there a place to get tickets?

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am

I am also curious about the ticket situation for the 3rd Dept. so if anyone can provide information that would be awesome!

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:25 am

See bolded. Gonna guess a ticket is unnecessary.
Dear Applicant:
Please be advised that the papers in support of your application for admission have been received and are complete. They will be referred to a member of the Court's Committee on Character and Fitness for review.

You will be interviewed by a member of the Committee in the Court's offices in Room 109 of the Alfred E. Smith Office Building ("AESOB") at 80 South Swan Street in Albany, New York. Your interview is scheduled for [some date]. You are requested to report at 9:00 AM on that date to the admissions office personnel who will be stationed at Room 109. Directions are attached.

If your application for admission is approved by the Committee member after your interview, you are scheduled to take the mandatory attorney's oath in a brief ceremony during the morning of [some date] in the Courtroom of the Appellate Division, Third Department, located on the fifth floor of the Robert Abrams Building for Law and Justice in the Empire State Plaza in Albany. The Abrams Building is about a one block walk down State Street from the AESOB. Please note that all visitors to the Appellate Division Courtroom, including applicants for admission and their guests, are required to pass through security.

Guests are welcome to attend the brief oath ceremony in the Courtroom. However, please note that, as a courtesy, a live stream of the oath ceremony can be accessed by simply clicking on the icon (labeled Court Session Webcast) found on the home page of the Court's website, located at www.nycourts.gov/ad3/.

You will be furnished a certificate of your admission and good standing as an attorney and counselor-at-law after your interview.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:40 am

Correct
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for your replies!

jj252525

New

Post by jj252525 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:25 pm

MrT wrote:See bolded. Gonna guess a ticket is unnecessary.
Dear Applicant:
Please be advised that the papers in support of your application for admission have been received and are complete. They will be referred to a member of the Court's Committee on Character and Fitness for review.

You will be interviewed by a member of the Committee in the Court's offices in Room 109 of the Alfred E. Smith Office Building ("AESOB") at 80 South Swan Street in Albany, New York. Your interview is scheduled for [some date]. You are requested to report at 9:00 AM on that date to the admissions office personnel who will be stationed at Room 109. Directions are attached.

If your application for admission is approved by the Committee member after your interview, you are scheduled to take the mandatory attorney's oath in a brief ceremony during the morning of [some date] in the Courtroom of the Appellate Division, Third Department, located on the fifth floor of the Robert Abrams Building for Law and Justice in the Empire State Plaza in Albany. The Abrams Building is about a one block walk down State Street from the AESOB. Please note that all visitors to the Appellate Division Courtroom, including applicants for admission and their guests, are required to pass through security.

Guests are welcome to attend the brief oath ceremony in the Courtroom. However, please note that, as a courtesy, a live stream of the oath ceremony can be accessed by simply clicking on the icon (labeled Court Session Webcast) found on the home page of the Court's website, located at http://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/.

You will be furnished a certificate of your admission and good standing as an attorney and counselor-at-law after your interview.
Thanks!

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 am

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:

I went on the website and totally see exactly what you said now. I think in my case because I am transferring a UBE score, I have to wait to submit any documents until I officially get the certification letter. I am overnighting anything I send there and then following up like crazy lol. Good luck!
Good luck! The NYLE results will be out soon! By the way, I still have not received any further update (other than the acknowledgment of receipt of my application).

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:17 pm

ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:

Good luck! The NYLE results will be out soon! By the way, I still have not received any further update (other than the acknowledgment of receipt of my application).
Thanks, you too! Hopefully the exam results will be released tomorrow or early next week :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:52 pm

ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:

I recently sent in in my NY application (including certification letter) to the 3rd dept- albany and I just got an email it was received so does anyone have any clue how long the character & fitness process takes?..I'm hoping to be sworn in by august...

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:

Thanks, you too! Hopefully the exam results will be released tomorrow or early next week :)
The official website says it will be out on 23 June (Friday), probably that means 4 hours later.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Good luck! The NYLE results will be out soon! By the way, I still have not received any further update (other than the acknowledgment of receipt of my application).[/quote]

Thanks, you too! Hopefully the exam results will be released tomorrow or early next week :)[/quote]

The official website says it will be out on 23 June (Friday), probably that means 4 hours later.[/quote]

Good to know! Lol I didn't even think to check the website for that announcement. Do you mean 4 hours after midnight, like 4:00 A.M.?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:Good luck! The NYLE results will be out soon! By the way, I still have not received any further update (other than the acknowledgment of receipt of my application).
Thanks, you too! Hopefully the exam results will be released tomorrow or early next week :)[/quote]

The official website says it will be out on 23 June (Friday), probably that means 4 hours later.[/quote]

Good to know! Lol I didn't even think to check the website for that announcement. Do you mean 4 hours after midnight, like 4:00 A.M.?[/quote]

Last year it was sometime in the morning like 9-10am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:Good luck! The NYLE results will be out soon! By the way, I still have not received any further update (other than the acknowledgment of receipt of my application).

Good to know! Lol I didn't even think to check the website for that announcement. Do you mean 4 hours after midnight, like 4:00 A.M.?[/quote]

Oh, I don't know about the exact time. I thought i's like the Bar Exam, so 12am. Haha.

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:

I recently sent in in my NY application (including certification letter) to the 3rd dept- albany and I just got an email it was received so does anyone have any clue how long the character & fitness process takes?..I'm hoping to be sworn in by august...
When did you send in (just curious)? I did that in the first week of June, and heard nothing too, but I haven't got the ceritifcation notice yet.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Sent it in earlier this week, well I imagine for you they won't start on c&f until they get your certification letter b/c I think that's when your app. is considered complete...but I could be wrong. Hopefully it's a fast process!

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 am

cnk1220 wrote:Sent it in earlier this week, well I imagine for you they won't start on c&f until they get your certification letter b/c I think that's when your app. is considered complete...but I could be wrong. Hopefully it's a fast process!
I see, good luck! I remembered having seen some instructions which say they encourage us to submit the papers early. Hope it will be a fast process too. I am looking to getting sworn in in mid-August.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

cnk1220 wrote:Sent it in earlier this week, well I imagine for you they won't start on c&f until they get your certification letter b/c I think that's when your app. is considered complete...but I could be wrong. Hopefully it's a fast process!
Just got the NYLE results :D Do you know whether the certification will be sent by mail or email?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

ds2826e wrote:
I see, good luck! I remembered having seen some instructions which say they encourage us to submit the papers early. Hope it will be a fast process too. I am looking to getting sworn in in mid-August.
If you're looking for August 2017, it's pretty unlikely. I completed my app over a month ago and was given a September date. I am going to guess they are on October now.

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:05 am

MrT wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
If you're looking for August 2017, it's pretty unlikely. I completed my app over a month ago and was given a September date. I am going to guess they are on October now.
Thanks for the information. Are you in the Third Department?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 am

ds2826e wrote:
MrT wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Thanks for the information. Are you in the Third Department?
Yes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”