NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
reasonable_man_03

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 am

Ash8 wrote:Third Dep. Applicant here.

Third Dep. received my application 5 Mondays ago ( Dec 19, 2016). Still waiting for the interview e-mail.

Did you get the interview email yet? Its been more than five weeks that 3rd dept has my application but no news yet. I am getting really anxious. Am I correct to assume that such a delay would mean that i may have some red flags on my application?

Thanks

iwantmybar

Bronze

Post by iwantmybar » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Why don't you call them ? This is what I did, they are quite nice.

And don't worry, I missed a ton of documents and nothing happened (they just sent me an email stating that there was a missing file and thus to send it), the 3rd department is pretty relax.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:52 pm

reasonable_man_03 wrote:

Third Dep. received my application 5 Mondays ago ( Dec 19, 2016). Still waiting for the interview e-mail.

Did you get the interview email yet? Its been more than five weeks that 3rd dept has my application but no news yet. I am getting really anxious. Am I correct to assume that such a delay would mean that i may have some red flags on my application?

Thanks
I am on approximately the same timeline (submitted 12/21) and just today got a notice that they need a newer (another) letter re lack of disciplinary action in my other jurisdiction I am licensed in. That means that they have at least read my application. So...there's that. Hang in there!

reasonable_man_03

New

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:11 pm

RedGiant wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:

Thanks
I am on approximately the same timeline (submitted 12/21) and just today got a notice that they need a newer (another) letter re lack of disciplinary action in my other jurisdiction I am licensed in. That means that they have at least read my application. So...there's that. Hang in there!
Thanks. I called them around a week ago and they said my application is in line for review. That means they haven't seen my application yet. hoping to hear from them soon.

reasonable_man_03

New

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:02 pm

iwantmybar wrote:Why don't you call them ? This is what I did, they are quite nice.

And don't worry, I missed a ton of documents and nothing happened (they just sent me an email stating that there was a missing file and thus to send it), the 3rd department is pretty relax.

I just got an email from the third department notifying me that my application is marked complete. The email says that my interview is on the 24th April and if the Committee member approves my application then I will be sworn in on the same day. Does that mean that I am in the clear and interview is just a formality? Other than that I was hoping for an earlier interview date but happy to hear from them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iwantmybar

Bronze

Post by iwantmybar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 am

reasonable_man_03 wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:Why don't you call them ? This is what I did, they are quite nice.

I just got an email from the third department notifying me that my application is marked complete. The email says that my interview is on the 24th April and if the Committee member approves my application then I will be sworn in on the same day. Does that mean that I am in the clear and interview is just a formality? Other than that I was hoping for an earlier interview date but happy to hear from them.
It means that your file is complete and that you are good to go. You are actually very lucky because your interview and the ceremony are on the same day. You will receive the exact time of the interview once you’ll send the certificate form. You also need to pay the $375 fees upfront (you’ll be registered for two years). To answer your question : yes it is a formality. I described the interview/ceremony thing on this topic in december.

Feel free to ask any quesitons you have regarding the interview/albany or the ceremony though!

NyuIwantu

New

Post by NyuIwantu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Waiting patiently....anyone know which days are swearing in days (2nd Dept)

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 am

iwantmybar wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:

It means that your file is complete and that you are good to go. You are actually very lucky because your interview and the ceremony are on the same day. You will receive the exact time of the interview once you’ll send the certificate form. You also need to pay the $375 fees upfront (you’ll be registered for two years). To answer your question : yes it is a formality. I described the interview/ceremony thing on this topic in december.

Feel free to ask any quesitons you have regarding the interview/albany or the ceremony though!
Unless you have something significant on your record, you're good. If you do have something significant, then the interview is more than a formality, but they're putting you in a position to pass. They'll likely request documentation between now and April 24th, and how you respond to these requests will dictate whether the interview happens or not. If the interview happens, the odds increase but you're at the interviewer's mercy. Human nature is to favor passing you, but it's not an auto-pass interview and it's not with some volunteer interviewer they pulled off the shuffleboard court in the Del Boca Vista Retirement Home.

This assumes your question wasn't just lawyer neuroticism. If you have nothing on your record, you can rest assured knowing there's a significantly better chance that you will die between now and April 24th than that you will fail your c&f interview.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:51 am

HonestAdvice wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:

Unless you have something significant on your record, you're good. If you do have something significant, then the interview is more than a formality, but they're putting you in a position to pass. They'll likely request documentation between now and April 24th, and how you respond to these requests will dictate whether the interview happens or not. If the interview happens, the odds increase but you're at the interviewer's mercy. Human nature is to favor passing you, but it's not an auto-pass interview and it's not with some volunteer interviewer they pulled off the shuffleboard court in the Del Boca Vista Retirement Home.

This assumes your question wasn't just lawyer neuroticism. If you have nothing on your record, you can rest assured knowing there's a significantly better chance that you will die between now and April 24th than that you will fail your c&f interview.
I sort of got the impression it was an auto-pass interview. I had a semi-serious thing on my application, and they never asked about it, never asked for papers, nothing. Don't think my interview took more than 5 minutes, most of which was telling me about CLE. Point being, in my experience, interview = good to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man_03

New

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:27 am

HonestAdvice wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:

Thanks for your opinion. I have disclosed traffic infractions on my application (10 fines). Does it count as significant on my record? I live aborad and I have given them the list of fines and a clearance letter from the authority indicating that all fines were paid off. I have also disclosed past debts which were paid off in full before i submitted my application. Do you think they are likely to ask for more info on any if this? I have already arranged my flight tickets and have paid off the 375 dollars.

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

3rd Dept. Applicant
I sent my admission application last week and the 3rd Dept received it on Thursday (2/23) and someone signed for it because I requested tracking & signature confirmation.

For those of you who applied for admission to 3rd Dept, how long did it take for you to get an email confirming they received your application? I am trying to determine how much time I should give them to send me an email confirming they received my admission application before calling/emailing them.

Thanks to anyone who answers!

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:56 pm

reasonable_man_03 wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:

Thanks for your opinion. I have disclosed traffic infractions on my application (10 fines). Does it count as significant on my record? I live aborad and I have given them the list of fines and a clearance letter from the authority indicating that all fines were paid off. I have also disclosed past debts which were paid off in full before i submitted my application. Do you think they are likely to ask for more info on any if this? I have already arranged my flight tickets and have paid off the 375 dollars.
Nope. Money judgments are a potential issue, but it sounds like you paid them off. These aren't big issues. I heard of someone being held for traffic infractions, but it was because they complained about requests for add'l info. Issues are generally crimes, academic sanctions for cheating, These aren't big deals. They probably just want to make sure you paid off your tickets.

reasonable_man_03

New

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:24 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:

Nope. Money judgments are a potential issue, but it sounds like you paid them off. These aren't big issues. I heard of someone being held for traffic infractions, but it was because they complained about requests for add'l info. Issues are generally crimes, academic sanctions for cheating, These aren't big deals. They probably just want to make sure you paid off your tickets.

Thanks. I never had any money judgments. Delayed payment on student loan and an overdraft. All are paid off. With regard to traffic infractions I have not received any request for additional info yet. My interview is confirmed on the 24th April. Do you think they might ask for additional info and may be postpone the interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:31 pm

reasonable_man_03 wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:
reasonable_man_03 wrote:

Thanks. I never had any money judgments. Delayed payment on student loan and an overdraft. All are paid off. With regard to traffic infractions I have not received any request for additional info yet. My interview is confirmed on the 24th April. Do you think they might ask for additional info and may be postpone the interview?
They might request it, but they won't delay it. They normally give a week or two to submit that material. You could order your driving record online, and send that to them. They requested mine because I was a cabbie. I don't know if it includes tickets, because I never had a traffic infraction. It's more likely than not that they request yours. It's $10 online, and easy to order. You could also find out if you have add'l violations, because these aren't big issues and you could just amend your app with a signed affidavit.

I don't think you need to be there in person to get any tickets. I had to travel to the criminal court 3 or 4 times, because I had a dismissed misdemeanor ticket from a decade ago that was filed under a misspelled name. I had disclosed something that the court said never happened. I'm a vivid dreamer and had seen Inception so I thought that maybe i lost my mind, which would have been a pretty big red flag.

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 am

3rd Dept. Applicant
I sent my admission application last week and the 3rd Dept received it on Thursday (2/23) and someone signed for it because I requested tracking & signature confirmation.

For those of you who applied for admission to 3rd Dept, how long did it take for you to get an email confirming they received your application? I am trying to determine how much time I should give them to send me an email confirming they received my admission application before calling/emailing them.

reasonable_man_03

New

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:12 am

aimo5656 wrote:3rd Dept. Applicant

Hi there. I received an acknowledgment from the admissions team on the 29th december. In the first week of Feb, i recived an email from the admissions office saying that my application is complete and scheduled an interview in April. It took about a month to hear from them on the status of my application. Now fingers crossed for the interview.

reasonable_man_03

New

Post by reasonable_man_03 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 am

Feel free to ask any quesitons you have regarding the interview/albany or the ceremony though![/quote]

This assumes your question wasn't just lawyer neuroticism. If you have nothing on your record, you can rest assured knowing there's a significantly better chance that you will die between now and April 24th than that you will fail your c&f interview.[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion. I have disclosed traffic infractions on my application (10 fines). Does it count as significant on my record? I live aborad and I have given them the list of fines and a clearance letter from the authority indicating that all fines were paid off. I have also disclosed past debts which were paid off in full before i submitted my application. Do you think they are likely to ask for more info on any if this? I have already arranged my flight tickets and have paid off the 375 dollars.[/quote]
Nope. Money judgments are a potential issue, but it sounds like you paid them off. These aren't big issues. I heard of someone being held for traffic infractions, but it was because they complained about requests for add'l info. Issues are generally crimes, academic sanctions for cheating, These aren't big deals. They probably just want to make sure you paid off your tickets.[/quote]

Thanks. I never had any money judgments. Delayed payment on student loan and an overdraft. All are paid off. With regard to traffic infractions I have not received any request for additional info yet. My interview is confirmed on the 24th April. Do you think they might ask for additional info and may be postpone the interview?[/quote]
They might request it, but they won't delay it. They normally give a week or two to submit that material. You could order your driving record online, and send that to them. They requested mine because I was a cabbie. I don't know if it includes tickets, because I never had a traffic infraction. It's more likely than not that they request yours. It's $10 online, and easy to order. You could also find out if you have add'l violations, because these aren't big issues and you could just amend your app with a signed affidavit.

I don't think you need to be there in person to get any tickets. I had to travel to the criminal court 3 or 4 times, because I had a dismissed misdemeanor ticket from a decade ago that was filed under a misspelled name. I had disclosed something that the court said never happened. I'm a vivid dreamer and had seen Inception so I thought that maybe i lost my mind, which would have been a pretty big red flag.[/quote]

Did they request information from you after they confirmed the interview date, or prior to that? I was under the impression that after you have received an interview date the your application is deemed complete and no further info is required. Please let me know. Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 am

reasonable_man_03 wrote:
aimo5656 wrote:3rd Dept. Applicant

Hi there. I received an acknowledgment from the admissions team on the 29th december. In the first week of Feb, i recived an email from the admissions office saying that my application is complete and scheduled an interview in April. It took about a month to hear from them on the status of my application. Now fingers crossed for the interview.
Thanks for your response! When did you submit your application?

nyclawgrad

New

Post by nyclawgrad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Anyone have an upcoming swearing in date for the 2nd dep't?

NyuIwantu

New

Post by NyuIwantu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 pm

nyclawgrad wrote:Anyone have an upcoming swearing in date for the 2nd dep't?
Not yet, unfortunately. Had my interview a week ago and am waiting to be notified about swearing in. Supposedly they favor Wednesdays?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:15 pm

reasonable_man_03 wrote:It means that your file is complete and that you are good to go. You are actually very lucky because your interview and the ceremony are on the same day. You will receive the exact time of the interview once you’ll send the certificate form. You also need to pay the $375 fees upfront (you’ll be registered for two years). To answer your question : yes it is a formality. I described the interview/ceremony thing on this topic in december.

This assumes your question wasn't just lawyer neuroticism. If you have nothing on your record, you can rest assured knowing there's a significantly better chance that you will die between now and April 24th than that you will fail your c&f interview.[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion. I have disclosed traffic infractions on my application (10 fines). Does it count as significant on my record? I live aborad and I have given them the list of fines and a clearance letter from the authority indicating that all fines were paid off. I have also disclosed past debts which were paid off in full before i submitted my application. Do you think they are likely to ask for more info on any if this? I have already arranged my flight tickets and have paid off the 375 dollars.[/quote]
Nope. Money judgments are a potential issue, but it sounds like you paid them off. These aren't big issues. I heard of someone being held for traffic infractions, but it was because they complained about requests for add'l info. Issues are generally crimes, academic sanctions for cheating, These aren't big deals. They probably just want to make sure you paid off your tickets.[/quote]

Thanks. I never had any money judgments. Delayed payment on student loan and an overdraft. All are paid off. With regard to traffic infractions I have not received any request for additional info yet. My interview is confirmed on the 24th April. Do you think they might ask for additional info and may be postpone the interview?[/quote]

I don't think you need to be there in person to get any tickets. I had to travel to the criminal court 3 or 4 times, because I had a dismissed misdemeanor ticket from a decade ago that was filed under a misspelled name. I had disclosed something that the court said never happened. I'm a vivid dreamer and had seen Inception so I thought that maybe i lost my mind, which would have been a pretty big red flag.[/quote]

Did they request information from you after they confirmed the interview date, or prior to that? I was under the impression that after you have received an interview date the your application is deemed complete and no further info is required. Please let me know. Thanks[/quote]
I was in a different department, but it was after.

My read was the date just means you haven't disclosed anything that's cause for delay, but not that you're in the clear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nyclawgrad

New

Post by nyclawgrad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 pm

NyuIwantu wrote:
Not yet, unfortunately. Had my interview a week ago and am waiting to be notified about swearing in. Supposedly they favor Wednesdays?
Same. Had my interview last Thursday and haven't heard anything from the interviewer.

NyuIwantu

New

Post by NyuIwantu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:40 am

nyclawgrad wrote:
NyuIwantu wrote:
Same. Had my interview last Thursday and haven't heard anything from the interviewer.
Interviewer told me I passed but said he has no clue about swearing in. I have so much confidence in this system :roll:

gerrod11

New

Post by gerrod11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi everyone, so I just got an e-mail from the 3rd department saying that my application is complete. My c&f interview is on June 27th at 9am and the swearing in is on June 28th meaning I'm going to need to stay in Albany two nights. I was wondering if anyone had hotel recommendations? Thanks!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:14 pm

gerrod11 wrote:Hi everyone, so I just got an e-mail from the 3rd department saying that my application is complete. My c&f interview is on June 27th at 9am and the swearing in is on June 28th meaning I'm going to need to stay in Albany two nights. I was wondering if anyone had hotel recommendations? Thanks!
There's a renaissance and hilton downtown.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”