NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Blackfish

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by Blackfish » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmybar

Bronze

Post by iwantmybar » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:58 am

ChocolateTruffle wrote:I'm in the Third Department. I got an email this morning saying that my interview is the morning of January 19th! A bit odd to have the interview the same day as the swearing in ceremony! Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask at the interview? Do I need to bring anything with me? Thanks!
3rd department here.

You are actually quite lucky because you have your interview and the swearing ceremony on the same day so you don't need to stay two days in Albany (which is a beautiful city but pretty dead, but beautiful). So you don't have to take two days off as well.

I got sworn in 2 weeks ago so it goes that way : you go to your interview at the time they told you to come. No need to come 30mn early. You'll be waiting in a room with maybe 50 candidates and everyone 'll be waiting to be called. It took me maybe 50 mn before being called so bring a book or your smartphone, some ppl were reading or playing games, it is not prohibided, this is not the bar.

The attorney who does the interview already has your file and quickly checked it. They don't have the time to spend more than 10mn with you because the last swearing ceremony is like at 11AM so they need to interview everyone. My interview lasted 10 mn and the attorney was a super nice person and asked me about my probono work. She was just there to verify If I wasn't a serial killer, that' s it. They don't try to trick you. I agree it might be a bit stressful but no need to worry, if you reach the interview step, it means that your filed has been approved. Just don't do anything stupid like screaming, crying for no reasons or being paranoid about the FBI following you. You know, this kind of stuff that will make uncomfortable everyone.

Then after your interview, you are given an enveloppe with a diploma and you go to the swearing ceremony (there is one at 10 am and another at 11 am i think). The swearing ceremony lasts 45mn to 1hour, you can take pictures etc, it's very well organized so it's all good.

Hence it was a very good experience.

Protips : wear a suit but no need to shave if you have a beard.

Protips for your wallet : if you arrive from the albany train station with amtrak, don't take a the greys cabs (i think those are called prestige company or sth) because they are very very very expensive (like 60 bucks ) to literally cross the damn river to downtown albany. I think this company has the monopoly to transport passengers from and to the station... find another way or walk. Uber doesnt work in Albany so call your hotel and ask them another cab company that the one waiting at the train station.

Also, i took Amtrak which was pretty good and if you are done earlier than you thought, you can catch an early train (you'll just have to pay the difference but it's like $2).

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:01 am

onward123 wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
JenDarby wrote:HA, are you suggesting that before your interview the C&F committee / interviewer may have contacted your arresting officer, dean, etc to discuss disclosures on your application? Perhaps a dean might be called if there seemed to be some serious law school infraction or discrepancy, but I HIGHLY doubt they would contact police departments etc before your personal interview. That is the kind of work that is saved for denials and appeals. There are WAY too many applicants and people with arrest records to be trying to track down someone from the X County Police Department to ask speculative questions about Jane Doe they arrested two years ago for being drunk in public, getting a dui, public urination, petty theft, etc etc.
I agree with this, although I will say that the red flag that popped up on my application required me to get a letter from my dean exonerating me of any malfeasance (for lack of a better word). So, it is my thought that any early legwork required to clear up issues is on the applicant, not on the BOLE. As JD said, there's just way too many applicants for them to get that involved.
Did the "red flag" pop up from something you failed to report or something your reported on the application?
It was a speeding ticket I received my 2L summer that I had disclosed on my bar app but did not disclose to the law school. Since there was an inconsistency, they made me obtain a letter from my dean explaining that the speeding ticket would not have affected my being admitted or my graduating in good standing. Not a big deal but it was sort of annoying.

So, just so people know, they definitely pull at least the law school application for the school you ended up attending and compare it with your bar app. Any inconsistencies are flagged.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:18 am

iwantmybar wrote:
3rd department here.

You are actually quite lucky because you have your interview and the swearing ceremony on the same day so you don't need to stay two days in Albany (which is a beautiful city but pretty dead, but beautiful). So you don't have to take two days off as well.

I got sworn in 2 weeks ago so it goes that way : you go to your interview at the time they told you to come. No need to come 30mn early. You'll be waiting in a room with maybe 50 candidates and everyone 'll be waiting to be called. It took me maybe 50 mn before being called so bring a book or your smartphone, some ppl were reading or playing games, it is not prohibided, this is not the bar.

The attorney who does the interview already has your file and quickly checked it. They don't have the time to spend more than 10mn with you because the last swearing ceremony is like at 11AM so they need to interview everyone. My interview lasted 10 mn and the attorney was a super nice person and asked me about my probono work. She was just there to verify If I wasn't a serial killer, that' s it. They don't try to trick you. I agree it might be a bit stressful but no need to worry, if you reach the interview step, it means that your filed has been approved. Just don't do anything stupid like screaming, crying for no reasons or being paranoid about the FBI following you. You know, this kind of stuff that will make uncomfortable everyone.

Then after your interview, you are given an enveloppe with a diploma and you go to the swearing ceremony (there is one at 10 am and another at 11 am i think). The swearing ceremony lasts 45mn to 1hour, you can take pictures etc, it's very well organized so it's all good.

Hence it was a very good experience.

Protips : wear a suit but no need to shave if you have a beard.

Protips for your wallet : if you arrive from the albany train station with amtrak, don't take a the greys cabs (i think those are called prestige company or sth) because they are very very very expensive (like 60 bucks ) to literally cross the damn river to downtown albany. I think this company has the monopoly to transport passengers from and to the station... find another way or walk. Uber doesnt work in Albany so call your hotel and ask them another cab company that the one waiting at the train station.

Also, i took Amtrak which was pretty good and if you are done earlier than you thought, you can catch an early train (you'll just have to pay the difference but it's like $2).

Thanks for the detail! Although I'm in the 2d Dept this was really helpful. I have my interview on Tuesday! I'll update everyone once I have mine. Another Pro tip for those in the second department - apparently it's the committee member's job to email you with a specific time so if you don't get one call the C&F people so they can get on the member to confirm a time.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 am

1styearlateral wrote:So, just so people know, they definitely pull at least the law school application for the school you ended up attending and compare it with your bar app. Any inconsistencies are flagged.
Yes, they absolutely do this, and it's a pretty low effort endeavor with the advent of LSAC.

If you think you may not have disclosed something on your law school application, login to LSAC and review your app. If there IS an inconsistency as a result of a failure to disclose, as recommended earlier in this thread, you might as well get ahead of the game and contact your dean ASAP. It's near certain they will have dealt with this before and can help you make the process as seamless as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 am

JenDarby wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:So, just so people know, they definitely pull at least the law school application for the school you ended up attending and compare it with your bar app. Any inconsistencies are flagged.
Yes, they absolutely do this, and it's a pretty low effort endeavor with the advent of LSAC.

If you think you may not have disclosed something on your law school application, login to LSAC and review your app. If there IS an inconsistency as a result of a failure to disclose, as recommended earlier in this thread, you might as well get ahead of the game and contact your dean ASAP. It's near certain they will have dealt with this before and can help you make the process as seamless as possible.
Yeah, and if there is something flagged (you'll get a checklist letter with vague reasons as to why your app isn't complete), don't call the investigator and get all defensive or try to explain the inconsistency (I may or may not have done this). They get pissed. An inconsistency doesn't mean you did something wrong or that you won't be admitted, it just means they want clarification.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:42 am

1styearlateral wrote:
onward123 wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
JenDarby wrote:HA, are you suggesting that before your interview the C&F committee / interviewer may have contacted your arresting officer, dean, etc to discuss disclosures on your application? Perhaps a dean might be called if there seemed to be some serious law school infraction or discrepancy, but I HIGHLY doubt they would contact police departments etc before your personal interview. That is the kind of work that is saved for denials and appeals. There are WAY too many applicants and people with arrest records to be trying to track down someone from the X County Police Department to ask speculative questions about Jane Doe they arrested two years ago for being drunk in public, getting a dui, public urination, petty theft, etc etc.
I agree with this, although I will say that the red flag that popped up on my application required me to get a letter from my dean exonerating me of any malfeasance (for lack of a better word). So, it is my thought that any early legwork required to clear up issues is on the applicant, not on the BOLE. As JD said, there's just way too many applicants for them to get that involved.
Did the "red flag" pop up from something you failed to report or something your reported on the application?
It was a speeding ticket I received my 2L summer that I had disclosed on my bar app but did not disclose to the law school. Since there was an inconsistency, they made me obtain a letter from my dean explaining that the speeding ticket would not have affected my being admitted or my graduating in good standing. Not a big deal but it was sort of annoying.

So, just so people know, they definitely pull at least the law school application for the school you ended up attending and compare it with your bar app. Any inconsistencies are flagged.
Lol of course you didn't... it hadn't happened yet.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
onward123 wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:

Lol of course you didn't... it hadn't happened yet.
I specifically (and intentionally) said I didn't disclose to the law school. You're supposed to disclose infractions to the law school on a rolling basis... you're not off the hook once you submit your app and get admitted. Since I had to disclose the ticket on my bar app, the BOLE was aware of it and didn't see it disclosed in my law school app/file (which they of course requested from my LS). Every LS I thought explained this to 1Ls during orientation.

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:44 am

Blackfish wrote:i hope they understand that some inconsistencies are inevitable because the c&f questions on some LS apps differ from the ones on bar apps. also, i believe it's not LSAC that sends them your LS app. if you look at the law school certification form that your dean has to sign off on, at the bottom it asks the school to send them any questionnaires or apps that the applicant has filed.
nope. they ignore the question you were asked on the LS app and fail you. strict liability too.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:28 pm

It depends on how big of a piece of shit you were when you were younger. You know you have real C&F red flags when the process of disclosing each item again now that you're an adult puts that feeling guilt in your stomach long after the process is over.

You can also have things that are either not a big deal or a big deal depending on contex. For example, if your 10th grade history teacher was going through a nervous breakdown, and your friends put rocks in the heater to make shooting sounds while you pretended to be a KGB-op giving a bomb threat over the speaker you had installed in the ceiling to work as an intercom, you may have a low level terrorist offense on your record that depending on context makes you crazy or just an insensitive POS who inadvertently made an old woman have some kind of PTSD reaction.

svitlanlazaresku

New

Post by svitlanlazaresku » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:40 pm

I had my interview yesterday, any output on swearing ceremony dates for 2nd department? thanks in advance

lawsohardJD

New

Post by lawsohardJD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:48 pm

svitlanlazaresku wrote:I had my interview yesterday, any output on swearing ceremony dates for 2nd department? thanks in advance
The first swearing in ceremony is tomorrow morning.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

svitlanlazaresku

New

Post by svitlanlazaresku » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:33 am

lawsohardJD wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:I had my interview yesterday, any output on swearing ceremony dates for 2nd department? thanks in advance

thanks a lot, do you know when the next one is?

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:18 am

svitlanlazaresku wrote:
lawsohardJD wrote:

December 22. I'm hoping to be sworn in then, but my interviewer still hasn't returned my documents to C&F and it's been over a week. I want to get this show on the road so I can just be done with this shitty, stressful affair.

svitlanlazaresku

New

Post by svitlanlazaresku » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:32 am

raptors_delight wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:
lawsohardJD wrote:

December 22. I'm hoping to be sworn in then, but my interviewer still hasn't returned my documents to C&F and it's been over a week. I want to get this show on the road so I can just be done with this shitty, stressful affair.
my interviewer told me she will send it next business day, so hoping to get the letter soon, it is stressful, and I am sure you will be there on the 22nd)

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:36 pm

I had my interview on Dec 6 and my swearing in on Dec 7 in the Second Department. For those who want to know about the interview and swearing in process, here's the details:

Interview: Met with a C&F committee member at her practice. She really cared about the interview, so my interview lasted like 40 minutes. She started off asking why I wanted to practice, and then she talked about my experiences on my application and asked where I wanted to be in 10 years. She tried really hard to make small talk and connect with me - which was explicitly her goal. Only negative things I disclosed on my application were some minor moving violations. She said hope you won't continue to do those things. Then she said something along the lines of 'well I guess I have to approve you since the ceremony is tomorrow.' Got my tickets and information about logistics of the ceremony.

Ceremony: IMHO, complete waste of time. Spent 30 minutes in preparation for a 10-15 minute ceremony. We were basically explained everything step by step with multiple examples to fit various situations (like how to sign your name in the book). Stood up and listened to a short speech by the presiding justice. Took an oath en masse. Then we were each called to sign the book. Then we picked up some ethics literature and were able to leave.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:57 am

ndp1234 wrote:I had my interview on Dec 6 and my swearing in on Dec 7 in the Second Department. For those who want to know about the interview and swearing in process, here's the details:

Interview: Met with a C&F committee member at her practice. She really cared about the interview, so my interview lasted like 40 minutes. She started off asking why I wanted to practice, and then she talked about my experiences on my application and asked where I wanted to be in 10 years. She tried really hard to make small talk and connect with me - which was explicitly her goal. Only negative things I disclosed on my application were some minor moving violations. She said hope you won't continue to do those things. Then she said something along the lines of 'well I guess I have to approve you since the ceremony is tomorrow.' Got my tickets and information about logistics of the ceremony.

Ceremony: IMHO, complete waste of time. Spent 30 minutes in preparation for a 10-15 minute ceremony. We were basically explained everything step by step with multiple examples to fit various situations (like how to sign your name in the book). Stood up and listened to a short speech by the presiding justice. Took an oath en masse. Then we were each called to sign the book. Then we picked up some ethics literature and were able to leave.
Congrats on getting admitted!!

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:08 am

svitlanlazaresku wrote:
raptors_delight wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:
lawsohardJD wrote:

my interviewer told me she will send it next business day, so hoping to get the letter soon, it is stressful, and I am sure you will be there on the 22nd)
Gah! I'm going on two weeks now and the Second Department says they still haven't received anything. At what point (if ever) is it acceptable to politely follow up with your interviewer's assistant for a status update? The interviewer concluded the interview by saying I should expect to receive an admission date within a few days and there were no red flags in my application except a couple of very old traffic tickets, so I don't think the delay is intentional. I'm a little concerned that my stuff has been misplaced and that the more time goes by, the more likely it is to become permanently misplaced. The thought of getting all those affidavits again makes me want to vom (implying the Second Department sends original applications out to interviewers without making copies). And I know I'm being a total admission gunner, but whatever -- I just want this nightmare to end.

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:24 am

ndp1234 wrote:I had my interview on Dec 6 and my swearing in on Dec 7 in the Second Department. For those who want to know about the interview and swearing in process, here's the details:

Thanks for sharing your experience, and congratulations!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:02 pm

The Attorney Registration Form doesn't state who the $375 check should be me made out to. Is it "NYS Office of Court Administration" or just "Office of Court Administration" ? Does anyone know? Thanks!

iwantmybar

Bronze

Post by iwantmybar » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:33 pm

You should call them directly, this is what I did regarding an unrelated question I had :wink:

It's 5:30 PM here, almost the week-end yes yes yes yes yes

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:50 pm

ChocolateTruffle wrote:The Attorney Registration Form doesn't state who the $375 check should be me made out to. Is it "NYS Office of Court Administration" or just "Office of Court Administration" ? Does anyone know? Thanks!
Nevermind, found it. I'm clearly blind. It's the former in case anyone is wondering

svitlanlazaresku

New

Post by svitlanlazaresku » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:20 pm

raptors_delight wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:
raptors_delight wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:
lawsohardJD wrote:

Gah! I'm going on two weeks now and the Second Department says they still haven't received anything. At what point (if ever) is it acceptable to politely follow up with your interviewer's assistant for a status update? The interviewer concluded the interview by saying I should expect to receive an admission date within a few days and there were no red flags in my application except a couple of very old traffic tickets, so I don't think the delay is intentional. I'm a little concerned that my stuff has been misplaced and that the more time goes by, the more likely it is to become permanently misplaced. The thought of getting all those affidavits again makes me want to vom (implying the Second Department sends original applications out to interviewers without making copies). And I know I'm being a total admission gunner, but whatever -- I just want this nightmare to end.

did you get your invitation yet? Nothing here...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”