NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lolabear727

Bronze

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by lolabear727 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:51 pm

sr1986 wrote:Does anyone know how long does BOLE take to certify you (to the 3rd Dept in my case) after you pass the Bar, NYLE and MPRE. I passed the Bar in July 2016, NYLE in Dec. 2016 and found out yesterday that I passed the MPRE? I still haven't heard anything from NY BOLE. Thanks!
They made it seem like once your information becomes available, if everything else is in line that you would be placed on the next rounds of interviews and swearing in. Which is June 26-28th and then June 28th swearing in ceremony.

just_me

New

Post by just_me » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:30 pm

ndp1234 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
jj252525 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
just_me wrote:I'd also be interested in any insights or tips people might have as to the practicalities of the 3rd department ceremony.

My parents are coming and want to know if there's a dress code for guests! Also, I've been given a time to show up for my C&F interview (which I think is like 9am in the morning or something) but how do guests know what time to arrive?
I got admitted in the third department last year.

There's no dress code for anyone, but if you're getting admitted, it's good to wear a suit.

The ceremony, if I recall correctly, begins at noon (it may be 11, I forget). The ceremony is like an hour long and has speakers. It's nice to have family present but if it's a hassle (like if they live in California) then it's probably not worth it for them to travel. Everyone takes pictures next to the big "admitted to the New York bar" poster after the ceremony so try to do that before the ceremony.
Thanks so much for this information. On balance, can probably tell my parents it's not worth going? Any recon on Albany more generally?
Albany is a worthless town, it was tough for me and my parents to even find a decent lunch spot. It was a nice day with the parents though. It was a big trip for them (maybe a five hour drive) but I know they were really happy to be there. It's ultimately up to you.

I totally agree with Danger Zone. I relocated to Albany for work in September. Most of the decent restaurants are around New Scotland Ave or around Broadway/S Pearl Street, if you're desperate
This is super helpful, thank you! I'd be v. grateful for any restaurant recommendations you guys might have (i guess we'll want to have dinner somewhere in the downtown area the night before the ceremony, and maybe lunch somewhere close-ish to the court after the ceremony).
iwantmybar wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:
ChocolateTruffle wrote:I'm in the Third Department. I got an email this morning saying that my interview is the morning of January 19th! A bit odd to have the interview the same day as the swearing in ceremony! Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask at the interview? Do I need to bring anything with me? Thanks!
3rd department here.

You are actually quite lucky because you have your interview and the swearing ceremony on the same day so you don't need to stay two days in Albany (which is a beautiful city but pretty dead, but beautiful). So you don't have to take two days off as well.

I got sworn in 2 weeks ago so it goes that way : you go to your interview at the time they told you to come. No need to come 30mn early. You'll be waiting in a room with maybe 50 candidates and everyone 'll be waiting to be called. It took me maybe 50 mn before being called so bring a book or your smartphone, some ppl were reading or playing games, it is not prohibided, this is not the bar.

The attorney who does the interview already has your file and quickly checked it. They don't have the time to spend more than 10mn with you because the last swearing ceremony is like at 11AM so they need to interview everyone. My interview lasted 10 mn and the attorney was a super nice person and asked me about my probono work. She was just there to verify If I wasn't a serial killer, that' s it. They don't try to trick you. I agree it might be a bit stressful but no need to worry, if you reach the interview step, it means that your filed has been approved. Just don't do anything stupid like screaming, crying for no reasons or being paranoid about the FBI following you. You know, this kind of stuff that will make uncomfortable everyone.

Then after your interview, you are given an enveloppe with a diploma and you go to the swearing ceremony (there is one at 10 am and another at 11 am i think). The swearing ceremony lasts 45mn to 1hour, you can take pictures etc, it's very well organized so it's all good.

Hence it was a very good experience.

Protips : wear a suit but no need to shave if you have a beard.

Protips for your wallet : if you arrive from the albany train station with amtrak, don't take a the greys cabs (i think those are called prestige company or sth) because they are very very very expensive (like 60 bucks ) to literally cross the damn river to downtown albany. I think this company has the monopoly to transport passengers from and to the station... find another way or walk. Uber doesnt work in Albany so call your hotel and ask them another cab company that the one waiting at the train station.

Also, i took Amtrak which was pretty good and if you are done earlier than you thought, you can catch an early train (you'll just have to pay the difference but it's like $2).
Again, this was really helpful, thanks very much!

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Quick question I'm taking the bar in July and I put down a NY city address on my BOLE application. I really want to take it in Buffalo. Can I just select Buffalo once testing locations are released or should I try to change my address with BOLE (I went to school upstate NY)? Really dont want to take it in NYC.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:40 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:Quick question I'm taking the bar in July and I put down a NY city address on my BOLE application. I really want to take it in Buffalo. Can I just select Buffalo once testing locations are released or should I try to change my address with BOLE (I went to school upstate NY)? Really dont want to take it in NYC.

You can still select buffalo when the email comes out i believe- its more the other way around that NY addresses get dibs on NYC testing.

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:49 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
W$RKliveWELL wrote:Quick question I'm taking the bar in July and I put down a NY city address on my BOLE application. I really want to take it in Buffalo. Can I just select Buffalo once testing locations are released or should I try to change my address with BOLE (I went to school upstate NY)? Really dont want to take it in NYC.

You can still select buffalo when the email comes out i believe- its more the other way around that NY addresses get dibs on NYC testing.
Thanks man.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 pm

NyuIwantu wrote:
nyclawgrad16 wrote:I recently submitted my application in the 2nd Department.

Does anyone have a recent timeline of submission to interview and interview to swearing in?

Thanks in advance!
Sumitted. Was missing something and notified within a week. Application was marked complete and given to an interviewer three weeks later (they didn't notify me of this, I called and asked). Three weeks after the interviewer got it he scheduled an interview for that day (I've heard that it's usually about a week later). Was notified about swearing in two weeks later. Swearing in about 6 weeks after they notified me of it.

Submission --> Swearing in ~3 months
Same question--but for the 1st department. How long is the lag if I submit my application this week? Thanks!

pooh_pooh778

New

Post by pooh_pooh778 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:28 pm

3rd department - is it common for 3rd dept to organize the interview and swearing on the same day / within the same week?

I am not from the States so I'm wondering if I need to fly to NY twice for these two events if they are, say, a few weeks separated from each other...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 pm

pooh_pooh778 wrote:3rd department - is it common for 3rd dept to organize the interview and swearing on the same day / within the same week?

I am not from the States so I'm wondering if I need to fly to NY twice for these two events if they are, say, a few weeks separated from each other...
It'll be the same day. If there's an issue it might be a day or two before so def in the same week.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perplexed Penguin

New

Post by Perplexed Penguin » Tue May 23, 2017 10:38 am

Anyone recently submit their application to the 3rd department and get invited to an interview? Curious on the current turn around time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sk3615

New

Post by sk3615 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:Anyone recently submit their application to the 3rd department and get invited to an interview? Curious on the current turn around time.

I did. I overnighted my application to the third department yesterday, it was received as of today and I was scheduled for my interview.

dehaven

New

Post by dehaven » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 pm

sk3615 wrote:
Perplexed Penguin wrote:Anyone recently submit their application to the 3rd department and get invited to an interview? Curious on the current turn around time.

I did. I overnighted my application to the third department yesterday, it was received as of today and I was scheduled for my interview.
You mean you got the letter that gave you a tentative date?

sk3615

New

Post by sk3615 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:16 pm

dehaven wrote:
sk3615 wrote:

I don't think it's tentative? The email reads; "Your interview is scheduled for Wednesday, June 28, 2017. You are requested to report at 9:00 AM on that date. Upon your arrival, kindly check in with the admissions office personnel stationed outside the entrance to the Hart Lounge."

dehaven

New

Post by dehaven » Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 pm

sk3615 wrote:
dehaven wrote:
sk3615 wrote:

I don't think it's tentative? The email reads; "Your interview is scheduled for Wednesday, June 28, 2017. You are requested to report at 9:00 AM on that date. Upon your arrival, kindly check in with the admissions office personnel stationed outside the entrance to the Hart Lounge."
My bad. I was thinking 1st Dept. Still surprised they would schedule you the next day so quickly. Assume 3rd Dept processes C&F stuff differently? I guess....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sk3615

New

Post by sk3615 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 pm

dehaven wrote:
sk3615 wrote:
dehaven wrote:
sk3615 wrote:

My bad. I was thinking 1st Dept. Still surprised they would schedule you the next day so quickly. Assume 3rd Dept processes C&F stuff differently? I guess....
I've heard from co-workers who were admitted in the 2nd department how slow and long the process was. I'm not sure why it went so fast but I'm grateful!

law9871

New

Post by law9871 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am

Does anyone know when we can pick our test location?

dehaven

New

Post by dehaven » Thu May 25, 2017 10:35 am

law9871 wrote:Does anyone know when we can pick our test location?
Happens like 3 weeks before the test. Do Buffalo <3

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 am

Is it true that the bar asks if you've ever bounced a check?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 pm

for the july exam- first week in june.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Last year, I received the email on June 8th at 9:42AM

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:16 am

MrT wrote:
MrT - are you in state or out?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:23 am

lolabear727 wrote:
MrT wrote:
MrT - are you in state or out?
I was out-of-state at the time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:33 am

Hi all - I've passed the Bar Exam and the MPRE, but not yet the NYLE, which I will be doing this month. That's why I haven't received the certification letter from BOLE.

Do you know (approximately) when I could expect to receive such a letter from BOLE? I think the NYLE results will be out in late June. Will I receive the certification letter by mail or email?

Thanks!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I haven't been able to reach anyone on the phone at the Third Department and no one has responded to my email yet --: for those of you who have gone through the character and fitness process, am I able to start compiling the forms and having people fill them out before I am officially certified? I have transferred my UBE and MPRE score. All that's left is to take and pass the NLYE (I'm taking Thursday's exam). I'd like to get a jump start on past employers and mentors etc. filling out the character & fitness forms but I wasn't sure if there was an issue with when they're dated. Thanks!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:45 pm

That's allowed, I did the same when I was admitted last year in the 3rd Department.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Danger Zone wrote:That's allowed, I did the same when I was admitted last year in the 3rd Department.
Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”