Quotation Rules Exhibit "A", or Exhibit "A," Forum

To help keep the main forum index page from getting too big, some forums have been placed in this "other forums" section.
thepete

New

Quotation Rules Exhibit "A", or Exhibit "A,"

Post by thepete » Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 am

Hi All,

I recently started at this firm and noticed that almost everyone in the firm uses commas inside the quotation marks when referring to Exhibit "A", and not inside the quotes (for example, "Please review the schedules listed under the Exhibit "A", where you will find xyz."). The bluebook clearly indicates that the commas should always be inside the quotes, and I am wondering if I am missing something here. Can anyone please enlighten the confused soul here?

Thanks,

conker

Bronze

Re: Quotation Rules Exhibit "A", or Exhibit "A,"

Post by conker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:05 pm

thepete wrote:Hi All,

I recently started at this firm and noticed that almost everyone in the firm uses commas inside the quotation marks when referring to Exhibit "A", and not inside the quotes (for example, "Please review the schedules listed under the Exhibit "A", where you will find xyz."). The bluebook clearly indicates that the commas should always be inside the quotes, and I am wondering if I am missing something here. Can anyone please enlighten the confused soul here?

Thanks,
Going back from memory to a grammar book I read. Commas inside quotations are US standard, called "aesthetic," and commas outside quotations are British standard, called "practical" (along with their swapped standards for single and double quotations with the US).

Your firm is going against the grain stylistically, but they are not breaking any rules. I would not conform unless pressured, personally.

Return to “Other forums not on the main forum index page”