Reading Rate (WPM) of law students Forum

To help keep the main forum index page from getting too big, some forums have been placed in this "other forums" section.
Greenteachurro

Silver

Re: Reading Rate (WPM) of law students

Post by Greenteachurro » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:47 pm

j.a.p.1440 wrote:How fast should a law student be able to read? I mean that in terms of word per minute read on average.
Can do 550 according to readings soft. But I usually slow way down for dense/complicated text.

j.a.p.1440

New

Post by j.a.p.1440 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
lol @ 300 pages/night.
Is that not accurate?
It is not
How much did you have on average?
50-60 probably. Still takes a while while you're still learning how to read cases
What the..? Why would they tell 300-500? 50-60 seem like nothing.
It's just a completely different type of reading than you're thinking of. This is a bit of an extreme example, but look through this case and flag all the terms you're not familiar with. Then, imagine there's a chance you'll get grilled on very fine points in front of 100 people the next day. For a more modern example, go through the same exercise with this (skip the syllabus).

e. That being said, I think the amount of work needed to do well in law school is somewhat overstated.
I can see how this would take longer to read. Many definitions to look up and plenty of disparate facts to piece together. This kind of reminds me of my first year Econ classes--albeit not this cumbersome of a process to read.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:50 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
lol @ 300 pages/night.
Is that not accurate?
It is not
50-60 probably. Still takes a while while you're still learning how to read cases
It's just a completely different type of reading than you're thinking of. This is a bit of an extreme example, but look through this case and flag all the terms you're not familiar with. Then, imagine there's a chance you'll get grilled on very fine points in front of 100 people the next day. For a more modern example, go through the same exercise with this (skip the syllabus).

e. That being said, I think the amount of work needed to do well in law school is somewhat overstated.
Quimbee :lol:

j.a.p.1440

New

Post by j.a.p.1440 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:How fast should a law student be able to read? I mean that in terms of word per minute read on average.
Can do 550 according to readings soft. But I usually slow way down for dense/complicated text.
If I'm reading fiction, I can go up to 800; if I'm reading a textbook, 300-400; but a super dense, cryptic piece of text, probably more like 150-250 mostly due to all the regressions I must make to understand what I am reading.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
j.a.p.1440 wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
lol @ 300 pages/night.
Is that not accurate?
It is not

Yeah, this is right. Law school is hard because of the abilities of your classmates

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Other forums not on the main forum index page”