Life at Rutgers-Newark Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gunz353

Bronze

Life at Rutgers-Newark

Post by Gunz353 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:16 am

Rutgers is my number one choice right now and I wanted to get some opinions on student life. Due to the poor reputation of Newark as a city, what is the lowdown on housing? Is the student housing a recommended option? What about commuting from Hoboken/Jersey City? Is it worth the commute and quality of life? I am from Long Island and have lived in Manhattan, so it would be nice to get into the city once in awhile. Just looking for thoughts from current and past students.

James Bond

Gold

Re: Life at Rutgers-Newark

Post by James Bond » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:17 am

There's always student housing:

Gunz353

Bronze

Post by Gunz353 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:21 am

Hahaha thanks! But I was talking about Newark, not the green zone in Iraq aka Rutgers- Camden.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:22 am

Gunz353 wrote:Hahaha thanks! But I was talking about Newark, not the green zone in Iraq aka Rutgers- Camden.
:wink: I'm just being a jerk. jersey is fun to make fun of.

one more question, since you're from "Strong Island," do you or do you not have a blow-out haircut?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:25 am

I posted something a lonnnnnnnnnnng time ago about housing options outside of Newark in the 'burbs that are still close by (15 minute or less commute). I have to study, so I can't search for it right now....but some good options are Clifton, Montclair, Lyndhurst, North Arlington, parts of Belleville (although parts are just as shady as Newark), Rutherford, etc. Pretty much all South Bergen County is good and a straight shot on Rt 21 to campus. Lyndhurst and North Arlington (oh, and Kearney) are closest and the first two are really nice suburban towns with a nice main strip (at least they were a few years ago).

I went to R-Newark undergrad and lived in Jersey my whole life (ignore EVERYTHING you see on "Jersey Shore"), so if you want specifics, PM me....and I'll answer after I take my property exam on Weds. =)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gunz353

Bronze

Post by Gunz353 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:44 am

Hahaha no Biv0ns, I DO NOT have a blowout. That is really Jersey's specialty...as a New Yorker, we love to rip on Jersey and I'm gonna have to eat alot of shit if I go to Rutgers. But its all good fun.

IzziesGal: Thanks for the info. I won't have a car though, so I'm limited to convenient public transportation. What about the neighborhoods within Newark, like the Ironbound area?

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Gunz353 wrote:Hahaha no Biv0ns, I DO NOT have a blowout. That is really Jersey's specialty...as a New Yorker, we love to rip on Jersey and I'm gonna have to eat alot of shit if I go to Rutgers. But its all good fun.

IzziesGal: Thanks for the info. I won't have a car though, so I'm limited to convenient public transportation. What about the neighborhoods within Newark, like the Ironbound area?
I live in the suburbs, as do most of my classmates who I know where they live, but I've heard good things about Ironbound. The area around Rutgers-Newark is plenty safe. I walk around every night after class and it's fine within a few blocks of campus. I've driven through some of the areas further away and they don't seem all that scary. I think a lot of the Newark scariness is overblown. It's a big city and I think most of the crime happens away from campus.

Beyond housing, I can say I enjoy the facilities, am happy with the professors, surprised at how helpful the admin can be and glad to be hear.

iwantT14

New

Post by iwantT14 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 pm

i go to Rutgers-Newark undergrad and kno the area really well. if anyone has any specific questions abt newark feel free to PM me

gezwho

New

Post by gezwho » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:33 am

Hey everyone,
I just got accepted to Rutgers Newark! I've heard that nearby grad schools have started drug testing their acceptees.... does anyone know if the law school is also administering drug tests?

gezwho

New

Post by gezwho » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Hey, so does anyone know how competitive placement in clinics are? Does every student have a legitimate chance to enroll in the clinic of their choice, or is there cutthroat competition for some?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”