Any questions about BU Law? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blindmelon

Gold

Any questions about BU Law?

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Just saw someone posted a questions thread for BC law. I'm a 1L at BU and would be happy to answer any questions if you have any. If you're curious about stats: 164, 3.8 on half scholarship (financial aid at BU is ridiculously good). I had an agonizing choice between BU/BC/GW/WM and am very happy with my decision. Any takers?

MC Southstar

Silver

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Post by MC Southstar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Is the campus as bad as they say?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:36 pm

I have the same choice, why BU over others? Happy with it?

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:36 pm

are you havin a good time? how are you liking classes in the tower? are all the students stressed on account of ITE?

I almost went there this year. Had a good time at the ASW.

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:36 pm

how is the weather?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:37 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Is the campus as bad as they say?
Its definitely not pretty, but its ridiculously easy to get to by public transport (literally right off the T). It is right next to the student union which has a ton of food options, the grad student cafeteria, the grad student pub, some decent cheap restaurants, and a bar with great trivia that a lot of law students head to at night.

As for the building itself, its an eyesore, but you quickly grow to love it. Everything you could possibly need is right there, and has tons of study rooms, social areas, lockers, and nooks and crannies so you can definitely find a good spot pretty quickly.

Its like having an ugly baby, you and your classmates can make fun of it, but when other people do you take it personally.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Can you expand on your decision between BU and GW? What were the factors that helped you make your choice: financial aid, location, student body, legal interest, USNWR ranking?

Thx!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:41 pm

monkey85 wrote:Can you expand on your decision between BU and GW? What were the factors that helped you make your choice: financial aid, location, student body, legal interest, USNWR ranking?

Thx!

And the other schools he mentioned

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Cupidity wrote:I have the same choice, why BU over others? Happy with it?
BU and BC gave the most money. National reach was a huge deal for me as I wanted to work in Boston, NYC or DC. In a good economy, BU does extremely well in all three. BU also sends tons of people into the federal government (its really surprising actually) and I want to work for the federal government so that was a huge deal. I liked GW but I think its overpriced, the cost of living is insane, and there are way too many people who go there.

BU faculty are also unbelievable... we have some really big names, and all of them are super accessible and nice. Office hours are plentiful... here is my civ pro professor, hes amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0T_d4DvPA. Unfortunately, he just took a position at UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Do you think BU will be kind to 164, 3.7+ types this cycle?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:43 pm

scribelaw wrote:Do you think BU will be kind to 164, 3.7+ types this cycle?

Wat about URM (mexican) w/ a 163/3.3-upward trend/good story

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:45 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

BU tends to be GPA whores as far as I know.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:45 pm

dk8 wrote:are you havin a good time? how are you liking classes in the tower? are all the students stressed on account of ITE?

I almost went there this year. Had a good time at the ASW.
The students work hard definitely, but nobody is really competitive. Everybody helps each other out even on writing assignments. People have just given me part of their outlines and are always open to answering questions. People also trade around supplements when they're not using theirs.

A lot of people are stressed about the economy, but BU just hired 3 more full time CDO staff just to deal with the economy and researching where the jobs are. They are pushing people to a lot of secondary markets, and honestly a lot of people have jobs... just not a lot of bigfirm going on. I want to work for the government, and BU has really great connections as I've said so no worries for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hellogoodbye1

New

Post by hellogoodbye1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:46 pm

how are job prospects for BU grads in CA? thanks!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Since you mentioned federal government, would you mind elaborating on what kind of federal gov't connections and opportunities you have been presented with? I am actually far more interested in government than biglaw too, on that note.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:47 pm

bissey wrote:how is the weather?
I grew up in New England so it doesn't bother me. I do like the weather a lot more than DC, and Boston is a really fun city. Contrary to common belief, you do have time for fun in law school.
shadowfrost000 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

BU tends to be GPA whores as far as I know.
I have no idea about URMs. I think our medians are 165/3.7. Not sure. BU likes GPA splitters, BC LSAT, so apply to both if you want to be in Boston. Over 30% also has work experience, so I think it helps. I think they're pushing that more nowadays.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:49 pm

hellogoodbye1 wrote:how are job prospects for BU grads in CA? thanks!
I never looked into working in CA, but its our 4th biggest market and I hear good things. We usually put at least 10% of the class there. There are a ton of people who went to UCLA/USC here and they are all planning to move to CA after graduation. Our alumni network there is surprisingly strong, and a lot of people summer there. I know at least some people who summered at firms there and 1 who worked at the AG office in LA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:51 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Since you mentioned federal government, would you mind elaborating on what kind of federal gov't connections and opportunities you have been presented with? I am actually far more interested in government than biglaw too, on that note.
Each year, BU puts a good number into a bunch of agencies. I know of at least one person who has an FTC gig lined up, one who is clerking now on the tax court (without an LLM which is awesome), another SEC, one USTR and a few DOJ. BU doesn't beat GW in opportunities for networking with the fed or working there during the year, but we definitely hold our own.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:Since you mentioned federal government, would you mind elaborating on what kind of federal gov't connections and opportunities you have been presented with? I am actually far more interested in government than biglaw too, on that note.
Each year, BU puts a good number into a bunch of agencies. I know of at least one person who has an FTC gig lined up, one who is clerking now on the tax court (without an LLM which is awesome), another SEC, one USTR and a few DOJ. BU doesn't beat GW in opportunities for networking with the fed or working there during the year, but we definitely hold our own.
Thanks. That sounds pretty sweet. Makes me feel a lot better that those kinds of opportunities aren't stacked in like the top 6.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:55 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Thanks. That sounds pretty sweet. Makes me feel a lot better that those kinds of opportunities aren't stacked in like the top 6.
No matter what people on TLS say, as long as you go to a strong school and work connections etc., T6 isn't automatically ahead for federal work. For biglaw overwhelmingly yes, but for government it matters a lot less.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Hey Blindmelon, I'm also a New Englander (Bostonian in fact), and I'm wondering why you chose to apply to BU and not BC (assuming your profile is accurate). What did you see in BU that was missing from BC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:01 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Hey Blindmelon, I'm also a New Englander (Bostonian in fact), and I'm wondering why you chose to apply to BU and not BC (assuming your profile is accurate). What did you see in BU that was missing from BC?
I got into both. They're both pretty equal in terms of prestige and placement, but BU had more of what I wanted. I preferred the location, I think the professors at BU rival a lot of top schools, and I preferred the feel/social life. I'm also 2 years out of school, and I think BC appeals to more people that are straight from undergrad because from what I hear its a little tighter, but BU just felt better for me at least.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 pm

And also... this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0T_d4DvPA. Maybe you won't find it funny, but seriously professor doing the Super Man dance, how could you not want to go here?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:Hey Blindmelon, I'm also a New Englander (Bostonian in fact), and I'm wondering why you chose to apply to BU and not BC (assuming your profile is accurate). What did you see in BU that was missing from BC?
I got into both. They're both pretty equal in terms of prestige and placement, but BU had more of what I wanted. I preferred the location, I think the professors at BU rival a lot of top schools, and I preferred the feel/social life. I'm also 2 years out of school, and I think BC appeals to more people that are straight from undergrad because from what I hear its a little tighter, but BU just felt better for me at least.

Could you elaborate on that? What do you mean by tight? Would you say that BU has a more professional atmosphere or something along those lines?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:10 pm

As someone who hopes Tom Brady gets his collarbone broken sometime in the next hour, will I feel very bitter in Boston?

Sorry, I already know the answer to that question. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how would one "work the connections"? As in, are you talking about standard protocol via programs and institutions or "off the record" getting to know professors and people and asking around?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”