UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thewhalefish

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:07 am

5ky wrote:you should just focus on doing as well as you can on the LSAT and keeping your grades up.

law schools aren't really better at one particular thing vs another school.
I appreciate the advice, but certainly this doesn't hold true in terms of networking, right?

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 am

Any 3L's looking to get rid of furniture? I'm a 0L coming to UVA in the fall, and I've never owned any furniture before. If you're willing to sell, I'd be willing to spring for a storage unit so you can dump it off when you move at the end of the semester.

Things I need:

Mattress
Bedframe
Drawers
Desk
Chairs
Kitchen Table
Mirror(s)
Coffee Table

PM me if you're interested!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:24 am

SweetTort wrote:Any 3L's looking to get rid of furniture? I'm a 0L coming to UVA in the fall, and I've never owned any furniture before. If you're willing to sell, I'd be willing to spring for a storage unit so you can dump it off when you move at the end of the semester.

Things I need:

Mattress
Bedframe
Drawers
Desk
Chairs
Kitchen Table
Mirror(s)
Coffee Table

Find the FB group "free and for sale at UVA Law," you probably won't find sellers yet, but they'll be coming.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am

UVA2B wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Any 3L's looking to get rid of furniture? I'm a 0L coming to UVA in the fall, and I've never owned any furniture before. If you're willing to sell, I'd be willing to spring for a storage unit so you can dump it off when you move at the end of the semester.

Things I need:

Mattress
Bedframe
Drawers
Desk
Chairs
Kitchen Table
Mirror(s)
Coffee Table

Find the FB group "free and for sale at UVA Law," you probably won't find sellers yet, but they'll be coming.
No FB :/

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:24 am

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
pianolvr91 wrote:
JG820 wrote:How true is the notion that UVA doesn't negotiate scholarships?
From my experience, no. I merely mentioned that Penn had given me the same scholarship and that same day they increased my scholarship offer by $10,000/year. I think this only works if it's a peer school, though--a classmate told them that she was between UVA and Columbia and they refused to negotiate. I also had visited the law school twice, so it was clear to admissions that UVA was a serious contender for me.
I don't know there is a hard and fast rule over peer schools. Vanderbilt is not really a peer school, yet they increased my scholarship after I told them Vandy was giving me a near full ride. It's possible they were just low-balling me in the first place though
I'm assuming Michigan would count as peer? I got a very nice offer from Michigan, and an ok one from UVA (think over $80k difference between the two), but UVA is my #1. Think the Michigan scholarship could push UVA up?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
pianolvr91 wrote:
JG820 wrote:How true is the notion that UVA doesn't negotiate scholarships?
From my experience, no. I merely mentioned that Penn had given me the same scholarship and that same day they increased my scholarship offer by $10,000/year. I think this only works if it's a peer school, though--a classmate told them that she was between UVA and Columbia and they refused to negotiate. I also had visited the law school twice, so it was clear to admissions that UVA was a serious contender for me.
I don't know there is a hard and fast rule over peer schools. Vanderbilt is not really a peer school, yet they increased my scholarship after I told them Vandy was giving me a near full ride. It's possible they were just low-balling me in the first place though
I'm assuming Michigan would count as peer? I got a very nice offer from Michigan, and an ok one from UVA (think over $80k difference between the two), but UVA is my #1. Think the Michigan scholarship could push UVA up?
I can't answer that for you obviously, but one thing I do wish 0L me knew is it absolutely does not hurt to ask. The admissions office people are extremely nice and reasonable, and even if the answer is no, they'd never hold it against you. I think there's sometimes a 0L panic that if you ask for some reason they'd revoke your existing offer or otherwise be upset at you, but admissions officers (at UVA and generally) understand that this is a business and a competitive marketplace.

You may or may not get the results you want from negotiating, but as long as you're polite and up-front you won't regret trying.

potatoes

New

Post by potatoes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 am

Is the graded portion of the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic curved?

If you were in the clinic, do you recommend it?

What are the chances that we spend all year filing cert petitions with nothing to come of it? (Or is that based on a misunderstanding of what the clinic does?) If that's the result, will I regret taking the clinic over doctrinal classes?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:44 pm

potatoes wrote:Is the graded portion of the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic curved?
Clinics are generally curved.

I haven't taken the SCOTUS clinic so can't answer your other question.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Are any of y'all regretful about UVA? Trying to make a tough decision, and I'd love to hear from some students. I think I'd be happier at UVA, but I just want to make sure that there's not too much spilled blood at OGI. Primarily hoping to target DC/Charlotte/Atlanta/Texas/Birmingham (ties to all).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 pm

SweetTort wrote:Are any of y'all regretful about UVA? Trying to make a tough decision, and I'd love to hear from some students. I think I'd be happier at UVA, but I just want to make sure that there's not too much spilled blood at OGI. Primarily hoping to target DC/Charlotte/Atlanta/Texas/Birmingham (ties to all).
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "spilled blood?"

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:25 pm

not a choice to make in a vacuum. depends on your other options, cost of attendance, etc

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:16 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Are any of y'all regretful about UVA? Trying to make a tough decision, and I'd love to hear from some students. I think I'd be happier at UVA, but I just want to make sure that there's not too much spilled blood at OGI. Primarily hoping to target DC/Charlotte/Atlanta/Texas/Birmingham (ties to all).

I just mean that it's not everyone fighting for the same spots and a lot of people ending up in jobs they don't want.
5ky wrote:not a choice to make in a vacuum. depends on your other options, cost of attendance, etc
Basically it's Dillard v. Yale. I'm leaning UVA, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 pm

What do you want to do?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 am

SweetTort wrote:Basically it's Dillard v. Yale. I'm leaning UVA, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
Since you're not attacking unicorn jobs like academia, I think UVA is the best bet here. You have a relatively strong chance of 1L SA out of UVA in the southern markets with ties, and Yale isn't going to place you appreciably better in those markets long-term (Yale is better, don't get me wrong). If you were DC gov honors or bust or elite appellate work, Yale would be seriously worth it, but with your relatively modest goals, you're looking at a free education at one of the best institutions in the country to get you what you want.

It'll likely depend on need-based aid, but you seem pretty jazzed about UVA, so I would just say the culture at UVA is every bit what you want it to be.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 am

Like 90% of the time I'd say go Yale over UVA with Dillard, but if you're targeting DC/ATL/Texas/etc. firms as your desired outcome, then UVA for free sounds like a good fit. I'd still consider what total cost of attendance is (I don't remember if the Dillard covers living expenses or not, and you don't really know how much it will cost to go to Yale until you get your need-based aid), but the reason to go to Yale is easier access to prestigious public interest jobs/clerkships while having big law as a safety net. But if you are not interested in that, then graduating debt free is an even better safety net.

Though if you're worried about the stress of competing for scarce jobs and grades, that tilts things towards Yale. UVA is not a super competitive when it comes to grades, but unlike Yale, we still have grades.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:51 am

SweetTort wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:

I just mean that it's not everyone fighting for the same spots and a lot of people ending up in jobs they don't want.
5ky wrote:not a choice to make in a vacuum. depends on your other options, cost of attendance, etc
Basically it's Dillard v. Yale. I'm leaning UVA, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
Echoing what others have said, I would go UVA unless: 1. You're academia/other unicorn or bust 2. Your offer at Yale ends up being in the ballpark of over a half ride. If you're worried about a stressful job search, here's my suggestion: come to the ASW or a visit on any random day, and pull a student out of the hallway and ask about our CSO.

Either way, congrats on killing it thus far, you basically can't make a bad choice at this point.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks for the input, y'all!

As far as goals go, I mean, I would be HAPPY with a clerkship or DOJ, but I wouldn't be devastated without them.

I think I'm going to end up at UVA, in large part because the culture and people seem more my speed. I really appreciate the feedback!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:54 am

Would y'all say a car is necessary at UVA? Planning on living in Ivy if I end up going

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:06 pm

addie1412 wrote:Would y'all say a car is necessary at UVA? Planning on living in Ivy if I end up going
It's helpful if you want to get the most out of Charlottesville (i.e., wineries, hiking, etc.). But you can also make friends with others that have cars.

That said, I know people that walk to the grocery store at a huge shopping center down the hill from the law school. And then there are the school buses and such that can take you to the Downtown Mall or the Corner. Plus there is always uber

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:12 pm

addie1412 wrote:Would y'all say a car is necessary at UVA? Planning on living in Ivy if I end up going
It's helpful if you want to get the most out of Charlottesville (i.e., wineries, hiking, etc.). But you can also make friends with others that have cars.

That said, I know people that walk to the grocery store at a huge shopping center down the hill from the law school. And then there are the school buses and such that can take you to the Downtown Mall or the Corner. Plus there is always uber
Haha yeah, I don't know that I'll be doing much hiking or touring wineries during 1L

Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning towards no car

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:41 pm

If you're the type who thinks they can manage without a car, you can definitely manage without a car. School, grocery stores, gym, parks, a couple mediocre restaurants are all within a 10 minute walk of Ivy.

You'll have plenty of time for hiking/whatever 1L, even fall. Fall in Charlottesville is the best time of year, you should try to get outside as often as possible.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:49 pm

anon sequitur wrote:If you're the type who thinks they can manage without a car, you can definitely manage without a car. School, grocery stores, gym, parks, a couple mediocre restaurants are all within a 10 minute walk of Ivy.

You'll have plenty of time for hiking/whatever 1L, even fall. Fall in Charlottesville is the best time of year, you should try to get outside as often as possible.

Is biking to the school an issue? Planning on living at a place that would be a 10 minute bike ride away, and I'd prefer not to get a parking pass.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:54 pm

SweetTort wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:If you're the type who thinks they can manage without a car, you can definitely manage without a car. School, grocery stores, gym, parks, a couple mediocre restaurants are all within a 10 minute walk of Ivy.

Is biking to the school an issue? Planning on living at a place that would be a 10 minute bike ride away, and I'd prefer not to get a parking pass.
I personally hated biking in Charlottesville, too much traffic around the law school and the roads are narrow. Also crappy bike weather. But there are bike racks at the law school, and people do bike. Living without a parking pass is doable, you can park on Arlington pretty easily during non school hours.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:38 am

Hey, all! Few questions:

1) Is there a way to get a mailbox at the school?

2) When do schedules for 1L come out?

3) When does softball start in the fall? How often do you play?

4) Any tips for buying furniture?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 am

SweetTort wrote:Hey, all! Few questions:

1) Is there a way to get a mailbox at the school?

2) When do schedules for 1L come out?

3) When does softball start in the fall? How often do you play?

4) Any tips for buying furniture?
Every student has a "mailbox," but it's not a PO box and USPS won't deliver to it. It'll be mainly for dropping stuff off for other students.

Schedules are driven by your section, which you'll find out the week before orientation starts.

Softball starts ~2 weeks into the semester, and you'll play one game per week. Your section may practice on top of that, but that's up to the section to schedule.

For furniture, you should start with Craigslist and go from there. There will likely be people selling furniture on FB, but since you're not on FB, you'll be left to more generalized stuff like Craigslist.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”