UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OtterLaw

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by OtterLaw » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 pm

RParadela wrote:I'll join in on the fray here..

Collins for CivPro
Verkerke for contracts
Bonnie for Crim
Armacoast for torts
Fore for LRW
Dude I'm sorry about Bonnie for Crim. Just get through it and pray your multiple choice skills are better than your classmates'

lawcapture

Bronze

Post by lawcapture » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:20 pm

my turn, appreciate any input

crim -brown
contracts- kordana
torts - kendrick
civ pro - collins
LWR- buck

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:23 pm

lawcapture wrote:my turn, appreciate any input

crim -brown
contracts- kordana
torts - kendrick
civ pro - collins
LWR- buck
You struck gold getting Kendrick for Torts. She is absolutely amazing. I didn't have Kordana for contracts but I took him for a different class this spring and he is a trip. He doesn't cold call and you'll have no idea what's going on but he has a pretty heavy B+ curve. Just make sure to use his little "isms" on the exam (this will make more sense after a few classes) and you're good.

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Obviously you bright young about-to-be 1L's already know this, but don't take anybody on this board's word as gospel on your professors. Opinions vary widely on who is good and who isn't and also on what strategies to use for each professor. And from the various 2Ls I can identify posting on here...I wouldn't necessarily call them representative. Don't worry to much about which professors you have right now. Just focus on getting your life in order as you move up the Charlottesville so you can hit the ground running next Wednesday.

Also, look to your peer advisers for, wait for it, advice once orientation starts. They're there for anything you need.

Law2020!

New

Post by Law2020! » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:02 am

Last edited by Law2020! on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 am

join student orgs/go to bar review.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 am

Go to bar review and join clubs?

Scooped

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 pm

crim -brown
contracts- kordana
torts - kendrick
civ pro - collins
LWR- buck
Brown is very dry, and sometimes lets himself get off topic. On the plus side, he ends up shying away from cold calling so if there was ever a class where you could cut corners with reading when you need to and get by on a good outline/hornbook, Brown's is it. Even when he does cold call, he often doesn't care how you respond because he's just enjoying the reprieve in having to lecture, which he can seem very nervous about at times. I think he does give a few brownie points on your end of the year score, though, if you volunteer to answer a few questions when there are crickets... it's like he remembers that you bailed him out of an awkward moment or something! And he's a super nice dude who is actually really helpful in trying to help you understand if you have a question about something.

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 pm

crim -brown
contracts- kordana
torts - kendrick
civ pro - collins
LWR- buck
Kordana is a certifiable crazy person (albeit a very loveable one) and can be simultaneously maddening and entertaining. The best approach to his class is to accept from day 1 that you are not going to learn conventional contracts, and to just roll with it. Keep up with his crazy Kordanaisms and don't be afraid to ask him questions when you lose him--he's much better than you would expect at explaining things, either in class or in office hours. Enjoy the fact that he doesn't cold call or assign much reading.

Collins is sort of in the opposite camp--extremely clear and straightforward. He's a very popular professor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 am

esq wrote:
lawcapture wrote:
Brown is very dry, and sometimes lets himself get off topic. On the plus side, he ends up shying away from cold calling so if there was ever a class where you could cut corners with reading when you need to and get by on a good outline/hornbook, Brown's is it. Even when he does cold call, he often doesn't care how you respond because he's just enjoying the reprieve in having to lecture, which he can seem very nervous about at times. I think he does give a few brownie points on your end of the year score, though, if you volunteer to answer a few questions when there are crickets... it's like he remembers that you bailed him out of an awkward moment or something! And he's a super nice dude who is actually really helpful in trying to help you understand if you have a question about something.
Just realizing based on this why I got a good grade in crim pro. Brown is not a great lecturer but a nice guy willing to help out.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:46 am

Hey everyone, UVA is currently my top choice and I just got in yesterday! When does scholly information go out for early acceptances?

cvillain

New

Post by cvillain » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Nice handle. If by early acceptance you mean early binding decision: there will be no scholarships. If you just applied early and got accepted: February.

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but earlier posts in this thread suggest that there was a binder showing grade distributions by professor available in the library's reserve room at one point. Is that still the case and, if so, where is it?

I know the information is of minimal utility, but I'm trying to get a sense of how many Cs I can realistically expect to accumulate. :D

Thanks for any guidance - hope everyone is settling in well!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 pm

LawMan16 wrote:Apologies if this has already been addressed, but earlier posts in this thread suggest that there was a binder showing grade distributions by professor available in the library's reserve room at one point. Is that still the case and, if so, where is it?

I know the information is of minimal utility, but I'm trying to get a sense of how many Cs I can realistically expect to accumulate. :D

I don't think this is available anymore, but you can ask around for general grade distributions if you're curious (i.e. Kordana has a reputation for giving more B+s than the avg prof. Jeffries is known for a wide curve)

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 am

jaekeem wrote:
LawMan16 wrote:Apologies if this has already been addressed, but earlier posts in this thread suggest that there was a binder showing grade distributions by professor available in the library's reserve room at one point. Is that still the case and, if so, where is it?

I don't think this is available anymore, but you can ask around for general grade distributions if you're curious (i.e. Kordana has a reputation for giving more B+s than the avg prof. Jeffries is known for a wide curve)
That was done away with about 5 years ago

Law2020!

New

Post by Law2020! » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 pm

I want to start a club, but I am currently a 1L and don't want to take on that time commitment yet. Would beginning of 2L year be a good time to do it?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Law2020! wrote:I want to start a club, but I am currently a 1L and don't want to take on that time commitment yet. Would beginning of 2L year be a good time to do it?
What club? And yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Br3v wrote:
jaekeem wrote:

RIP. It was in the library for one week my 1L year before it got removed.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Yardbird wrote:
Br3v wrote:
jaekeem wrote:

RIP. It was in the library for one week my 1L year before it got removed.
Bummer. It was definitely something we all became familiar with when choosing our professors after 1L when I was there. You learned to avoid any professor that didn't have a giant B+ target to their curve if you weren't gunning. Worked out pretty good for most of us!

Supersplitteriknow

New

Post by Supersplitteriknow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Do you think it's a big mistake to pay sticker at uva versus scholarship money at wustl if you want DC/NYC PI?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Supersplitteriknow wrote:Do you think it's a big mistake to pay sticker at uva versus scholarship money at wustl if you want DC/NYC PI?
neither is a great option

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Supersplitteriknow wrote:Do you think it's a big mistake to pay sticker at uva versus scholarship money at wustl if you want DC/NYC PI?
What's the total price tag on both options and will you be taking it out in loans or paying through some other source? Also, the admissions season is just getting going; it seems unlikely that those will be your final two options.

Supersplitteriknow

New

Post by Supersplitteriknow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:36 pm

thebrownnote wrote:
What's the total price tag on both options and will you be taking it out in loans or paying through some other source? Also, the admissions season is just getting going; it seems unlikely that those will be your final two options.
I don't know the rent yet but I'd get a roommate probably. Personal savings: 50k. Rest loans / LRAP.

Law2020!

New

Post by Law2020! » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Is participating in Moot Court as a 2L and not as a 1L still beneficial for one’s resume, even though OGI interviews would have already occurred?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Law2020! wrote:Is participating in Moot Court as a 2L and not as a 1L still beneficial for one’s resume, even though OGI interviews would have already occurred?
Depends on if you want to do something post-OGI where it might help, like clerking or going to a firm that hires primarily post-clerkship. It's certainly not going to help if you just get a job from OGI and head straight there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”