UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
uvalaw19

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by uvalaw19 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 pm

jaekeem wrote:
uvalaw19 wrote:Hi guys! I managed to dl the Excel file from UVA law website which has all the courses from Fall 2014 to Spring 18. Some of the course for this year (fall and spring) are already showing students enrolled. Do 3L's get to enroll in classes for both spring and fall at this time of the year? I just want to make sure I have the correct list. Thanks!
I believe 3Ls are already enrolled in their graduation requirement courses for fall/spring (seminar/writing req/prof skills)

2Ls are presently doing the same

I don't think anyone can sign up for any courses outside of those yet
Thanks! One more question.. has anyone done research assistant for Ruth Mason? Can you share your experience?

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:20 am

damn, i thought ruth mason = ruth payne and i was going to make a great joke about downloading excel files

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:31 am

sprezz wrote:damn, i thought ruth mason = ruth payne and i was going to make a great joke about downloading excel files
Too soon breh

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:42 am

uvalaw19 wrote:
jaekeem wrote:
uvalaw19 wrote:Hi guys! I managed to dl the Excel file from UVA law website which has all the courses from Fall 2014 to Spring 18. Some of the course for this year (fall and spring) are already showing students enrolled. Do 3L's get to enroll in classes for both spring and fall at this time of the year? I just want to make sure I have the correct list. Thanks!
I believe 3Ls are already enrolled in their graduation requirement courses for fall/spring (seminar/writing req/prof skills)

2Ls are presently doing the same

I don't think anyone can sign up for any courses outside of those yet
Thanks! One more question.. has anyone done research assistant for Ruth Mason? Can you share your experience?
had a friend who worked for her as a remote RA and another friend who did that international tax moot court thing with her. no personal experience, but she's pretty chill afaik

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 am

Can recent 1L's talk about how they study? Like, during a typical week you read your cases, go to class... and then what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 am

VirginiaFan wrote:Can recent 1L's talk about how they study? Like, during a typical week you read your cases, go to class... and then what?
Work on your outlines
Use Supps to figure out parts of the doctrine that are confusing/unclear
Talk to professors; get into their heads (I think eventually you reach a point where you know why your prof put A or Z on the test. you just read it and internally remark to yourself that you know exactly what they're expecting from this part of the fact pattern. That's good. If your response is instead ???...well, at least for me that was never a good sign lol)
Discuss the readings with classmates (I think this is imperative in certain classes like con law where the doctrine initially seems very muddy/undefined. You need to get comfortable with the material, and the easiest way to do this is by discussing it repeatedly)
Do practice tests; figure out patterns in practice tests, if your professor has any
Do practice problems
Reread the casebook if necessary

etc.

everyone has their own way of doing things (just because I wrote something doesn't mean I did it often, if at all)

the classes I did best in were those where I a) found someone I trusted as a fellow student to discuss the material with b) got into my prof's heads

but YMMV. just remember that law school test are a skill. you need to know the doctrine cold and you need to be able to apply it better than x% of your classmates to get an a- or an a. whatever habits help you get to that point are what you should do; nothing else.

lawandorder2019

Bronze

Post by lawandorder2019 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am

VirginiaFan wrote:Can recent 1L's talk about how they study? Like, during a typical week you read your cases, go to class... and then what?
For some classes I created case briefs to help me remember the cases while in class. But honestly, I found 1L to be fairly busy and didn't find a whole lot of time to do much else besides read cases during a typical week.

Towards the end of the semester I worked on outlines. And if I didn't understand something I'd look in a supplement. But between job stuff and just trying to adjust to 1L it's not like you're studying 24/7.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 am

Do what works for you. You'll figure out quickly what makes you feel like you understand the subject matter. I never did case briefs, just figured out the rule and factors that influenced the rule. I never opened a supplement, just listen to what the prof says/thinks is important. I never studied in a group, they seemed like time sinks and security blankets. I never went to office hours, because I felt like they were going to cover everything important in class, and most of the stuff I was confused about could be cleared up in a quick email or a question after class. For some people who did really well, one or all of these things was a crucial part of their success.

When you're reading/taking notes/outlining/whatever, think about what kinds of questions would be hard to answer. Think of scenarios that would be difficult to apply the rule in, or where the factors of a test cut in opposite directions. Then solve for those scenarios. Figure out how you would apply the rule/test in that context. That's how you ace exams. Learning the rule is the bare minimum. Also understand why the rule is what it is (the prof will try to find a way to make the outcome of the test and the purpose of the test in tension, and expect you to see that). Most important is to listen to the professor. If they like a certain case from the notes, learn that case like it was a main case. Listen to the way they analyze problems and emulate that on the exam.

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 am

Former 1L's: if you could do 1L over again, what would you do differently?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:53 am

VirginiaFan wrote:Former 1L's: if you could do 1L over again, what would you do differently?
Take notes on those policy/legal philosophy diatribes the prof goes on instead of spacing out. She will let you know 1/3 of the test is a policy essay 1 week before the exam.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 am

VirginiaFan wrote:Former 1L's: if you could do 1L over again, what would you do differently?
Honestly, it's not really that easy to pinpoint the things I could've done to improve. Take better notes? Probably. Read supplements more? Yeah, I think so. Synthesize notes earlier and more completely? It likely would've helped.

It's difficult to synthesize what worked and what didn't work because pretty much everyone is making it up as they go along based on what they think is working for them. And the nature of a single exam gives you very little insight into 1L classes and how well you're understanding the material relative to your classmates. Even if you have a midterm to test the waters, people will prepare more or less for that midterm where you may be artificially inflated/deflated relative to your classmates on that midterm. And that does nothing to speak about natural law exam abilities, which is every bit as much responsible for your grade as it is your understanding of the material.

There's a tautological truism to 1L year that I'm not sure anyone can directly put their finger on. The people who do well tell you what they did that worked, so people do what others did well with, but that's no guarantee it'll work for you. And people who do well have some overlap in what they do (keep up with reading, take notes, outline, etc.), but the extent to which they depart from each other is pretty surprising.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but the reality is no one can definitively point to what will work for you, because there is a bunch of subjectivity to determining what will work for you and what won't. I have friends that killed 1L year that did wildly different levels of prep, and that's because so much is subjective to their learning style and ability to take a law school exam.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:58 am

This is probably only an issue for only a few people, but it was big for me. If I could go back I'd stop trying to fight the subjects I didn't like. My three worst grades (2 of which were 1L fall) were subjects that I just couldn't get behind. I'd complain about the professor, or I'd complain the material wasn't interesting enough, but in the end of the day I had to take an exam on all three of those subjects. And it didn't turn out well.

Find what you like about each subject, and don't let your qualms with a professor or the material stop you from learning. So much of law school is a mind game, and if you can feign interest in even the most boring subjects you'll have a much easier time actually learning them.

That and do practice exams and look at sample answers (even if it's not from your prof). Writing an exam is different from almost any other writing I've done, so learning how to phrase things, what to cover, how to correctly waffle around, and when to take a stand can be HUGE come game day. It will also make you more comfortable in the test room.

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am

cornerstone wrote:
This is probably only an issue for only a few people, but it was big for me. If I could go back I'd stop trying to fight the subjects I didn't like. My three worst grades (2 of which were 1L fall) were subjects that I just couldn't get behind. I'd complain about the professor, or I'd complain the material wasn't interesting enough, but in the end of the day I had to take an exam on all three of those subjects. And it didn't turn out well.

Find what you like about each subject, and don't let your qualms with a professor or the material stop you from learning. So much of law school is a mind game, and if you can feign interest in even the most boring subjects you'll have a much easier time actually learning them.

That and do practice exams and look at sample answers (even if it's not from your prof). Writing an exam is different from almost any other writing I've done, so learning how to phrase things, what to cover, how to correctly waffle around, and when to take a stand can be HUGE come game day. It will also make you more comfortable in the test room.
yup, realized this too after spring semester 1L

one of my electives...just was not feeling the material. couldn't study as hard. noticeably different grade than my section classes that semester.

gotta find something to love in even the mundane...or it's just too hard to give it my all

also, would have spent less time studying at home in the fall. I actually enjoy the library a lot. not sure why, just do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:00 am

Nagster5 wrote:
Take notes on those policy/legal philosophy diatribes the prof goes on instead of spacing out. She will let you know 1/3 of the test is a policy essay 1 week before the exam.
oh debbie

darc

New

Post by darc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
Oh Les

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 pm

darc wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
Oh Les
:wink:

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:06 am

has anyone taken fed income tax with hayashi? mind giving details on how it was?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:53 am

jaekeem wrote:has anyone taken fed income tax with hayashi? mind giving details on how it was?
I loved it, he was very good at explaining things and the problem sets were great and looked a lot like what was on the exam. He also had some really interesting takes on things from a policy/current events perspective which I thought kept the classes interesting. He also did a very good job of adjusting the schedule when people weren't getting things.

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:07 am

Nagster5 wrote:
jaekeem wrote:has anyone taken fed income tax with hayashi? mind giving details on how it was?
I loved it, he was very good at explaining things and the problem sets were great and looked a lot like what was on the exam. He also had some really interesting takes on things from a policy/current events perspective which I thought kept the classes interesting. He also did a very good job of adjusting the schedule when people weren't getting things.
wow, that sounds wonderful. thanks for the quick reply!

Mrs Featherbottom

New

Post by Mrs Featherbottom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
I've heard he's better for students coming from a finance/business background. Did you find that to be true?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Mrs Featherbottom wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
I've heard he's better for students coming from a finance/business background. Did you find that to be true?
I had no background and did well. I'm not scared of math, but I was a history major so I certainly wasn't coming into it with anything special. He definitely has an econ slant to his policy stuff, but those don't really come up on the exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nimbus cloud

Silver

Post by nimbus cloud » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Is anyone on Aetna? Would you recommend it? I was going to stay on my parents' insurance but it doesn't seem like anyone accepts it in the area so seems like I should probably switch. I looked at the benefits summary and seems like none of the dental services are covered. Anything else I should know about? (pros/cons)

GaiusMarius

New

Post by GaiusMarius » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi, does someone know when class schedules/sections generally come out for 1Ls? I'd like to grab textbooks ahead of time if possible since I'm moving in right before class starts due to travel. Online, all I can find is "by August 18th."

lawandorder2019

Bronze

Post by lawandorder2019 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:36 pm

GaiusMarius wrote:Hi, does someone know when class schedules/sections generally come out for 1Ls? I'd like to grab textbooks ahead of time if possible since I'm moving in right before class starts due to travel. Online, all I can find is "by August 18th."
That sounds about right. Last year we didn't find out until Aug. 16. And to find out you'll have to look at your class schedule on SIS.

cvillain

New

Post by cvillain » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:57 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:Is anyone on Aetna? Would you recommend it? I was going to stay on my parents' insurance but it doesn't seem like anyone accepts it in the area so seems like I should probably switch. I looked at the benefits summary and seems like none of the dental services are covered. Anything else I should know about? (pros/cons)
I’m on Aetna but not through the school’s plan. Aetna’s network is pretty strong troughout Virginia, and I haven’t had an issue with it in Cville.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”