UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Purple Post It Note

New

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Purple Post It Note » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:14 pm

On the topic of housing... Would I have trouble finding a 2 bedroom at Ivy if I apply in April?

I'm currently waiting to hear back from a few more schools but I'm leaning very heavily towards UVA. Pavilion seems to expensive and I probably have no shot getting Jeffersonian.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Purple Post It Note wrote:On the topic of housing... Would I have trouble finding a 2 bedroom at Ivy if I apply in April?

I'm currently waiting to hear back from a few more schools but I'm leaning very heavily towards UVA. Pavilion seems to expensive and I probably have no shot getting Jeffersonian.
Back in 2014 I applied on April 21st and it didn't seem like they had any trouble finding me a place. I'd say with the Pav expansion it's probably even easier to get an Ivy apartment. If you're super picky about what floor you're on, how close you are to the law school, etc. then it might be a bit harder but I wouldn't worry unless you're pushing into May.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:22 pm

You can get a 2 bedroom at Ivy in August if you like, though it'll be further back and maybe not your choice of set up. I got one of the condos on Arlington Blvd in June when I enrolled. You only have to rush if you are very particular or you want to live in the super close buildings like Jeffersonian or the most convenient Ivy buildings.

Purple Post It Note

New

Post by Purple Post It Note » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 pm

cornerstone wrote:
Purple Post It Note wrote:On the topic of housing... Would I have trouble finding a 2 bedroom at Ivy if I apply in April?

Back in 2014 I applied on April 21st and it didn't seem like they had any trouble finding me a place. I'd say with the Pav expansion it's probably even easier to get an Ivy apartment. If you're super picky about what floor you're on, how close you are to the law school, etc. then it might be a bit harder but I wouldn't worry unless you're pushing into May.
How much further would you say the walk would be from an inconvenient location?

I read somewhere that it takes about ~10 min from Ivy to the law school... but I don't know which building that's referring to.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Purple Post It Note wrote:
cornerstone wrote:

How much further would you say the walk would be from an inconvenient location?

I read somewhere that it takes about ~10 min from Ivy to the law school... but I don't know which building that's referring to.
you can play around with on google maps, but you can walk from across the entire ivy gardens complex from one end to another in a max of 5 minutes. it's about 10 minutes from the building closest to the law school and, at worst, 15 minutes from the building furthest away. if you walk fast you can get there quicker, it's definitely not too far away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Purple Post It Note

New

Post by Purple Post It Note » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:46 pm

What do you guys usually do with your rooms over the summer (if you're not living there)? Has anyone had luck subleasing?

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Purple Post It Note wrote:What do you guys usually do with your rooms over the summer (if you're not living there)? Has anyone had luck subleasing?
The sublease market is tricky because there are so many open units in Cville over the summer. I had some success renting my room in Pav out by the night on airbnb after 1L, but it turned out to be more work than it was worth finding people to prep and clean the apartment between guests.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

i just ate the costs. it was a factor in me deciding to stick around cville for 1L summer and just taking a (paid) research assistant gig. it was a really chill summer

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:02 am

rhododactylos wrote:
Purple Post It Note wrote:What do you guys usually do with your rooms over the summer (if you're not living there)? Has anyone had luck subleasing?
The sublease market is tricky because there are so many open units in Cville over the summer. I had some success renting my room in Pav out by the night on airbnb after 1L, but it turned out to be more work than it was worth finding people to prep and clean the apartment between guests.
I subletted mine to a 3L who was staying in Cville to study for the bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:43 pm

5ky wrote:i just ate the costs. it was a factor in me deciding to stick around cville for 1L summer and just taking a (paid) research assistant gig. it was a really chill summer
+1 ate the costs 1L & 2L. I think it's pretty common.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:22 pm

unless you get lucky and/or live near main grounds or downtown mall you probably will only get ~half your monthly rent as a sublease - not worth the hassle

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:12 pm

atlantahoo wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
atlantahoo wrote:Haven't put down my seat deposit yet, but almost certainly attending next fall... any suggestions for dog-friendly housing? I went to UVA for undergrad, so I'm familiar with Cville generally but have never lived anywhere besides the Corner. Do any law students live around Rugby, or is it pretty unusual?
I went to UVA for undergrad too, welcome fellow doublehoo! I thought about living close to where I lived during undergrad but ultimately decided to live on Arlington, by the law school. There are some people that live further away from the law school, but nobody I know of lives near undergrads. I'd recommend for at least 1L year trying to stay closer to the law school than the corner simply because the bus ride is not fun and you'll want to be close for social activities and the ease of getting to school every day. I'd recommend Jeffersonian or Arlington Court Condos. I know Jeffersonian is pet friendly and I believe Arlington Court Condos is as well - though not 100% on that.

awesome, thanks! i'm flying up for a visit soon, so i'll definitely check out both those places.
The Arlington Court Condos are not all managed by the same property management company so some might allow pets and some might not. Pav allows pets but I don't think is a good value. Ivy doesn't. Jeffersonian does. Arlington Park Town homes managed by Woodard Properties across from Pav also allows pets and it's a one time deposit and no pet rent and a back yard. Also please do not live on the corner or with undergrads your 1L year. It's inconvenient for your section mates who mostly live on Arlington and the pregames mostly happen at Pav/ Arlington Blvd.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:00 pm

Important question: any Pokestops at the law school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:01 pm

SweetTort wrote:Important question: any Pokestops at the law school?

I'm pretty sure yes. I don't play. but there are 3Ls that will leave class to catch pokemon.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:04 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:

I'm pretty sure yes. I don't play. but there are 3Ls that will leave class to catch pokemon.
(Submits seat deposit)

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:12 pm

There are 4 Pokestops accessible from the law school building and at least five more that are a short walk. The law school is a gym and there are three other gyms within a few minutes walk as well. We also have a Pokémon spotting FB group that students post on when rare ones pop up. So, I think you're covered. Lol

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:00 am

OtterLaw wrote:
There are 4 Pokestops accessible from the law school building and at least five more that are a short walk. The law school is a gym and there are three other gyms within a few minutes walk as well. We also have a Pokémon spotting FB group that students post on when rare ones pop up. So, I think you're covered. Lol
I'm in love.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Just got in to UVA and I'm definitely seriously considering it. I know some of the questions I've asked are probably buried in the thread somewhere but I'm not reading 400+ pages to look for them lol.

Question 1: how much do apartments around the law school cost? Probably looking for a 2/2 or a 4/4. Does anyone live on-campus?

Question 2: How's the social scene at UVA? I go to fsu for UG so I'm used to having a ridiculously active social life.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:39 pm

RParadela wrote:Just got in to UVA and I'm definitely seriously considering it. I know some of the questions I've asked are probably buried in the thread somewhere but I'm not reading 400+ pages to look for them lol.

Question 1: how much do apartments around the law school cost? Probably looking for a 2/2 or a 4/4. Does anyone live on-campus?

Question 2: How's the social scene at UVA? I go to fsu for UG so I'm used to having a ridiculously active social life.
A 2/2 at ivy gardens (big complex very close to school) will run you between $1000 and $1200 total. Others around the school are probably roughly the same price wise, except the pavilion which is much more expensive. Don't know if you'll find any 4/4s

Social life is going to be as good as you'll get in t14, probably easily.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:47 pm

5ky wrote:
RParadela wrote:Just got in to UVA and I'm definitely seriously considering it. I know some of the questions I've asked are probably buried in the thread somewhere but I'm not reading 400+ pages to look for them lol.

A 2/2 at ivy gardens (big complex very close to school) will run you between $1000 and $1200 total. Others around the school are probably roughly the same price wise, except the pavilion which is much more expensive. Don't know if you'll find any 4/4s

I just choked on my drink. $1200 for a 2/2. Sometimes I forget that COL isn't oppressive everywhere in the US. Bless you, and this post.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:09 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
5ky wrote:

I just choked on my drink. $1200 for a 2/2. Sometimes I forget that COL isn't oppressive everywhere in the US. Bless you, and this post.
Yeah I'm living in a 2/2 @Ivy and I pay less than half of what I paid in DC. It's a real wallet saver. Jeffersonian over on Arlington is even cheaper if you're fine sharing a bathroom. It's ~$950 for a 2Br/2Ba I think? I had a friend who lived at Copeley (on campus right in front of the law school), but most people go for Ivy/Pav/Jeffersonian. Copeley is pretty junky and reminds me of a college dorm, so it's never not a good idea to pay the extra ~$50 in rent a month to live in Ivy when rent here is so cheap.

+1 on the social life. If you're looking for something like FSU then UVA is about as good as you're going to get for law school. Are you coming for ASW? There's no better way to confirm you'll like the culture than visiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 pm

is copeley still family housing? you used to not be able to live there unless you had a family

(there is otherwise no "campus housing". the law school is just one building so there's no campus to speak of, although the area around the law school, called north grounds, has several complexes and other apartment buildings that are generally dominated by law and business students)

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 pm

5ky wrote:is copeley still family housing? you used to not be able to live there unless you had a family

(there is otherwise no "campus housing". the law school is just one building so there's no campus to speak of, although the area around the law school, called north grounds, has several complexes and other apartment buildings that are generally dominated by law and business students)
Not sure about the official rule but the people I know/knew definitely weren't families. Also, I should throw this out there: it's grounds, not campus (hence OGI not OCI). The UGs will kill you for messing that up. See generally Thomas Jefferson.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 pm

cornerstone wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yeah I'm living in a 2/2 @Ivy and I pay less than half of what I paid in DC. It's a real wallet saver. Jeffersonian over on Arlington is even cheaper if you're fine sharing a bathroom. It's ~$950 for a 2Br/2Ba I think? I had a friend who lived at Copeley (on campus right in front of the law school), but most people go for Ivy/Pav/Jeffersonian. Copeley is pretty junky and reminds me of a college dorm, so it's never not a good idea to pay the extra ~$50 in rent a month to live in Ivy when rent here is so cheap.

+1 on the social life. If you're looking for something like FSU then UVA is about as good as you're going to get for law school. Are you coming for ASW? There's no better way to confirm you'll like the culture than visiting.
Yeah I'm pretty positive I'll be attending one of the ASWs. Do they take you out that weekend? I thought I remembered people talking about how they gave drink tickets on ASWs

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:00 am

RParadela wrote:
cornerstone wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty positive I'll be attending one of the ASWs. Do they take you out that weekend? I thought I remembered people talking about how they gave drink tickets on ASWs
Yeah! It varies by year but last year the law school rented out JPJ Arena (which is NBA-sized) and did a big trivia night with an open bar on the basketball court, with the law school cover band providing music from that angsty phase of your life. In addition to the Admissions event there's always unofficial house parties that current students throw for admits, and most admits and current students will go to the Corner for Bar Review on Thursday night.

Also there's just one ASW at UVA--March 16-17 this year!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”