UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cornerstone

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by cornerstone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:56 am

rhododactylos wrote:
Yeah! It varies by year but last year the law school rented out JPJ Arena (which is NBA-sized) and did a big trivia night with an open bar on the basketball court, with the law school cover band providing music from that angsty phase of your life. In addition to the Admissions event there's always unofficial house parties that current students throw for admits, and most admits and current students will go to the Corner for Bar Review on Thursday night.

Also there's just one ASW at UVA--March 16-17 this year!
https://content.law.virginia.edu/admiss ... e#schedule

Looks like there's trivia at Kardinal Hall this year. The school will probably provide drinks but don't quote me on it.

I'd say go to that if you want to meet with other admits that might be in your class. If you want to get a feel for what it's like being a student find yourself some current students, pre-game with them, and then go to the bars. You could also do a combo of the two and just head to the bars after.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Has anyone ITT studied abroad? I'd love to go to the Madrid program but I'm worried it might interfere with OCIs and other important job-finding stuff

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:35 am

Might seem like an odd question, but do UVA law students get the day off for Labor Day?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 am

S.Picquery wrote:Might seem like an odd question, but do UVA law students get the day off for Labor Day?
The law school follows the University holiday schedule, so yes we get Labor Day off.

http://www.hr.virginia.edu/calendars/un ... -schedule/

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 am

UVA2B wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Might seem like an odd question, but do UVA law students get the day off for Labor Day?
The law school follows the University holiday schedule, so yes we get Labor Day off.

Are you a 0L? We don't follow the University calendar. And no, we do not get Labor Day off

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:54 am

Problem solved. Google search is a thing. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/academ ... lendar.htm

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 pm

cornerstone wrote:Problem solved. Google search is a thing. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/academ ... lendar.htm
I saw the University schedule and the UVA Law academic calendar. Because they were at odds, I thought I'd ask :roll:

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Are you a 0L? We don't follow the University calendar. And no, we do not get Labor Day off
Haha, I guess I can't even remember last semester. No, I'm a 1L that just had brain slippage this morning. My apologies.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Finally got admitted.

Looking into where I (hopefully, if scholarships work out) want to live next year - what are the current student opinions on this? I'm the kind of person who would rather walk everywhere around the grounds rather than drive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:52 pm

mrgstephe wrote:Finally got admitted.

Looking into where I (hopefully, if scholarships work out) want to live next year - what are the current student opinions on this? I'm the kind of person who would rather walk everywhere around the grounds rather than drive.
The last couple of pages cover this pretty well

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Got a question for you guys regarding job prospects.. What type of grades do you need to have in order to be competitive for the top end BigLaw jobs at UVA? (Let's say V10 although I know that's an arbitrary number)

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:58 pm

RParadela wrote:Got a question for you guys regarding job prospects.. What type of grades do you need to have in order to be competitive for the top end BigLaw jobs at UVA? (Let's say V10 although I know that's an arbitrary number)
Depends on a lot of things like work experience, field of interest, city, URM status, and how you come across in an interview but 3.5 is a good general estimate as a baseline. 3.6 will definitely get you offers as long as you can hold a conversation.

logicgames

New

Post by logicgames » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Does anyone know what the curve is like for small classes? I am in an 18 person lecture (ie not a paper class). Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Can someone speak to the difficulty of getting a 2L SA in Atlanta?

Also, what do most people do their 1L summer?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 pm

logicgames wrote:Does anyone know what the curve is like for small classes? I am in an 18 person lecture (ie not a paper class). Thanks!
I think a class of eighteen should be curved as a normal class. So based on the class gpa and the professor's grading tendencies. I believe the class has to be a good bit smaller (maybe under eight?) before no curve is required.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:52 pm

SweetTort wrote:Can someone speak to the difficulty of getting a 2L SA in Atlanta?
No idea, sorry.
SweetTort wrote:Also, what do most people do their 1L summer?
Some get 1L SA positions. Many will stay locally because they have rent to pay, working either as RAs for professors or in public interest positions, sometimes aided by a PILA grant. Others will go home and take similar positions in their local market. Still others will try and get work in the market they hope to end up in.

JG820

New

Post by JG820 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 pm

How true is the notion that UVA doesn't negotiate scholarships?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pianolvr91

New

Post by pianolvr91 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:22 pm

JG820 wrote:How true is the notion that UVA doesn't negotiate scholarships?
From my experience, no. I merely mentioned that Penn had given me the same scholarship and that same day they increased my scholarship offer by $10,000/year. I think this only works if it's a peer school, though--a classmate told them that she was between UVA and Columbia and they refused to negotiate. I also had visited the law school twice, so it was clear to admissions that UVA was a serious contender for me.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:28 pm

pianolvr91 wrote:
JG820 wrote:How true is the notion that UVA doesn't negotiate scholarships?
From my experience, no. I merely mentioned that Penn had given me the same scholarship and that same day they increased my scholarship offer by $10,000/year. I think this only works if it's a peer school, though--a classmate told them that she was between UVA and Columbia and they refused to negotiate. I also had visited the law school twice, so it was clear to admissions that UVA was a serious contender for me.
I don't know there is a hard and fast rule over peer schools. Vanderbilt is not really a peer school, yet they increased my scholarship after I told them Vandy was giving me a near full ride. It's possible they were just low-balling me in the first place though

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Did any of you apply to both Richmond and UVA? If so, why did you choose UVA over Richmond specifically? As a follow-up, how much better, if at all, is UVA than Richmond for wanting to work in DC PI? Thanks for your time!!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:25 pm

thewhalefish wrote:Did any of you apply to both Richmond and UVA? If so, why did you choose UVA over Richmond specifically? As a follow-up, how much better, if at all, is UVA than Richmond for wanting to work in DC PI? Thanks for your time!!
To start, UVA and Richmond are in no way peers, so probably not too many people here applied to both.

That being said, what kind of PI are you thinking?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:56 pm

I applied to Richmond but only because I was living in the area at the time and got a fee waiver. I was offered a named scholarship which they said was their best one, thought it wasn't even a full-ride, would have cost me $5,000 a year in tuition plus living expenses. If they offered a full-ride plus stipend, I'd seriously consider it depending on your career aspirations. For DC public interest? No, definitely not.

I know quite a lot of UR grads from working in Richmond for a summer for awhile post-grad. It seems like a nice place to go to school, and if you want to live in Richmond, they've got a really, really good network. Their top students have really good opportunities locally. But for people not in the top of the class, I think it can be very tough. And that's just in Richmond. I don't think UR is really known at all in DC, or at least not any more than other schools similarly ranked.

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:35 am

UVA2B wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:Did any of you apply to both Richmond and UVA? If so, why did you choose UVA over Richmond specifically? As a follow-up, how much better, if at all, is UVA than Richmond for wanting to work in DC PI? Thanks for your time!!
To start, UVA and Richmond are in no way peers, so probably not too many people here applied to both.

That being said, what kind of PI are you thinking?
Yeah, I figured as much but they're in the same state so that's why I asked. My areas of interest are civil rights, human rights, and constitutional law. I would like work in DC in Fed work or an organization like ACLU. Sorry if that's too broad, I've been too focused on LSAT to do much research.

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:38 am

anon sequitur wrote:I applied to Richmond but only because I was living in the area at the time and got a fee waiver. I was offered a named scholarship which they said was their best one, thought it wasn't even a full-ride, would have cost me $5,000 a year in tuition plus living expenses. If they offered a full-ride plus stipend, I'd seriously consider it depending on your career aspirations. For DC public interest? No, definitely not.

I know quite a lot of UR grads from working in Richmond for a summer for awhile post-grad. It seems like a nice place to go to school, and if you want to live in Richmond, they've got a really, really good network. Their top students have really good opportunities locally. But for people not in the top of the class, I think it can be very tough. And that's just in Richmond. I don't think UR is really known at all in DC, or at least not any more than other schools similarly ranked.
Great info, thanks for sharing. I asked because I have a friend that goes there and I am pretty sure he wants to eventually enter fed gov't. But really, I had no idea UR was so little/non-presitgious/whatever; I made the poor assumption of equating Virginia location to DC opportunities.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:39 am

you should just focus on doing as well as you can on the LSAT and keeping your grades up.

law schools aren't really better at one particular thing vs another school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”