UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Br3v

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Br3v » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:How would current students describe the PI community at UVA? Is there a critical mass of them, or does the school overall focus mostly on Big Law?
UVa has a pretty long tradition of PI work relative to other t14s. Most of the class will be focusing on biglaw, but there is a large section of the class focusing on PI. PILA is probably the biggest student group on the law school grounds. http://pilaatuva.weebly.com/about-pila.html

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm

I feel like someone needs to start the obligatory “where are my grades” conversation, so I’m volunteering.

For real though, is it just me or are the profs taking even longer than normal to post grades this semester?

Anxious-Undergrad

New

Post by Anxious-Undergrad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 am

Does anyone happen to know the VLR grade cutoff? Top 15 grade on (I know 5 more grade on if they have a decent journal tryout). Any idea what the 15th person's gpa roughly is every year? Thanks in advance.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 am

OtterLaw wrote:For real though, is it just me or are the profs taking even longer than normal to post grades this semester?
Anxious-Undergrad wrote:Does anyone happen to know the VLR grade cutoff?
Grades are due January 20th unless that date falls on a weekend, in which case the grades are due the following Monday. I've also heard that one particular professor may be having health problems and has not turned in grades.

As far as I'm aware, no one really knows the VLR cutoff right now because this is only the second year with only 15 (as opposed to 25) grade-ons. Assume it is very high, and also that your second semester results may not equal your first. Whatever you do, don't go around bragging about your "law review worthy" grades. Karma's a bitch.

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 pm

VLR was 3.77 a few years ago when it was still Top 25, although apparently that was considered abnormally high and the low 3.7’s were more typical in past years. My guess is it’s somewhere closer to 3.9 than 3.8 now, but that is nothing more than a guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Last year it was above a 3.8

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 pm

How did the supremacist rally over the summer affect the campus community especially for minorites?

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 pm

Nagster5 wrote:Last year it was above a 3.8
This seems incredibly high, but I assume you're correct.

Does anyone know the cutoffs for top 5% or top 10%?

Mma038

New

Post by Mma038 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:How did the supremacist rally over the summer affect the campus community especially for minorites?
I’m curious about this as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 am

VirginiaFan wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:Last year it was above a 3.8
This seems incredibly high, but I assume you're correct.

Does anyone know the cutoffs for top 5% or top 10%?
I have a friend who had above a 3.8 and didn't make VLR, that's the only way I know. In a class of 300 the top 15 would be the top 5%, so (last year at least) to 5% was also somewhere above 3.8

kittykat70

New

Post by kittykat70 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am

I saw it mentioned in the page before, but is it actually normal to email a student organization you have interest in and ask if you can stay at a member's apartment during admitted students days? thanks!

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:00 pm

kittykat70 wrote:I saw it mentioned in the page before, but is it actually normal to email a student organization you have interest in and ask if you can stay at a member's apartment during admitted students days? thanks!
This strikes me as very unusual. Personally, I never have heard of anyone doing this and if I received the request I'd view it as weird. Some admitted students do stay with friends in the area, but usually they already have a pre-established connection of some sort. I also don't think anyone on the prior page mentioned doing this. Also, hotels in the area arent that expensive and UVA provides a generous stipend to help cover the cost of visiting in most cases.

kittykat70

New

Post by kittykat70 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 pm

smile0751 wrote:
kittykat70 wrote:I saw it mentioned in the page before, but is it actually normal to email a student organization you have interest in and ask if you can stay at a member's apartment during admitted students days? thanks!
This strikes me as very unusual. Personally, I never have heard of anyone doing this and if I received the request I'd view it as weird. Some admitted students do stay with friends in the area, but usually they already have a pre-established connection of some sort. I also don't think anyone on the prior page mentioned doing this. Also, hotels in the area arent that expensive and UVA provides a generous stipend to help cover the cost of visiting in most cases.
Maybe I imagined it haha, thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawandorder2019

Bronze

Post by lawandorder2019 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:41 pm

kittykat70 wrote:
smile0751 wrote:
It depends on the student organization. I know some of the affinity orgs definitely are open to admitted students staying with their members during ASOH.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Mma038 wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:How did the supremacist rally over the summer affect the campus community especially for minorites?
I’m curious about this as well.
Most of those wingnuts were out-of-staters, and I've not heard of any that were UVA students. They chose Charlottesville because the city is trying to take down statutes of Lee and Stonewall Jackson, not because the town is some kind of hub for white supremacist groups.

That's not to say there's not institutional bias that harms minorities in the legal community generally and at UVA specifically, but that has nothing to do with those Nazi assholes.

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:49 pm

So I’m pretty sure I’ll be going to UVA in the fall (yay!) how do people go about finding roommates for housing?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 pm

LiveJustly390 wrote:So I’m pretty sure I’ll be going to UVA in the fall (yay!) how do people go about finding roommates for housing?
Congrats, your class is bound to have a Facebook group so consider checking there! You're in for a fun 3 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:48 am

Br3v wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:So I’m pretty sure I’ll be going to UVA in the fall (yay!) how do people go about finding roommates for housing?
Congrats, your class is bound to have a Facebook group so consider checking there! You're in for a fun 3 years.
I’m super excited! Any suggestions on places to live? I’ve looked through old threads but just curious if there is any new or updated info regarding good apartment complexes or places to stay away from, etc. It would be fantastic to find a place that’s semi nice with a decent kitchen and hard wood floors that also doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, but obviously those aren’t necessary requirements and I can live without :lol:

vwhorley

New

Post by vwhorley » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Hi all! I have a question about residency. I was born and raised in Charlottesville, but I currently work (and have an apartment) in DC. I am still registered to vote in VA and have a VA driver's license and even have my taxable address at my parents house in Cville so I pay VA taxes. Am I considered a resident? I'm not a dependent and I have an apartment in DC, but my "permanent" address is VA. I can't seem to find anything online and I'm not an admitted student (yet- applying next cycle).

I know UVA has an admissions boost for residents, which I could use. Any insight would be helpful!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 am

LiveJustly390 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
I’m super excited! Any suggestions on places to live? I’ve looked through old threads but just curious if there is any new or updated info regarding good apartment complexes or places to stay away from, etc. It would be fantastic to find a place that’s semi nice with a decent kitchen and hard wood floors that also doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, but obviously those aren’t necessary requirements and I can live without :lol:
Probably about 3/4 of the 1L class lives on Arlington, which is the hill/road that runs directly perpendicular to the law school on Massie. By Arlington I mean, in order of popularity: The Pavilion (expensive but the newest building), The Jeffersonian (might be already sold out but maybe not now that the Pav is popular) and then random privately owned townhouses and apartments across the street (Arlington) from the Pav and Jeffersonian. Half of the remaining 1/4 live in an apartment complex called Ivy, though that has become less popular since the Pav came to town. The other half of the remaining 1/4 of the 1L class lives dispersed throughout Charlottesville.

jthompson243

New

Post by jthompson243 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Specter1389 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge on the teaching market in and around Charlottesville? When I applied and deferred my admission I was a single guy but it's looking more and more like I will be married when I finally start. Girlfriend is a middle school English teacher but also certified at the high school level. I know she will have great recommendations from her current district as she was their teacher of the year last year, but wanted to get a general feel on if jobs in her field are hard to come by around Charlottesville and if I need to reconsider my law school decision.
I graduated in the mid 00s and was married. My wife got a job teaching in one of the rural counties and what we did was live on that side of town. So I had a 10-15 minute drive and she had a 30 minute drive.

It’s not the easiest market bc lots of UVA grads hang around and teach school. This offer that she took was the only one she got.

There aren’t that many married couples. I think maybe three students in my section were married.

One cool thing is that spouses can join the gym for really cheap. I think $100/year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 pm

lawandorder2019 wrote:
kittykat70 wrote:
smile0751 wrote:
It depends on the student organization. I know some of the affinity orgs definitely are open to admitted students staying with their members during ASOH.
I agree with lawandorder2019, I don't see this as that unusual. I think most groups would be happy to host admitted students, especially if the cost of a hotel is an obstacle that would otherwise prevent you from coming to see Cville. It certainly wouldn't hurt to send an email to see if the organization's leader is willing to forward your request to the rest of the group and see if anyone could let you crash on their couch.

uvalaw19

New

Post by uvalaw19 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:41 pm

AZ123 wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
kittykat70 wrote:
smile0751 wrote:
I agree with lawandorder2019, I don't see this as that unusual. I think most groups would be happy to host admitted students, especially if the cost of a hotel is an obstacle that would otherwise prevent you from coming to see Cville. It certainly wouldn't hurt to send an email to see if the organization's leader is willing to forward your request to the rest of the group and see if anyone could let you crash on their couch.
Yeah I don't think it's weird. It would all depend on the organization though. I don't want to speak for any organizations but many affinity groups tend to be closer and more willing to help each other, and would be happy to circulate your email to their members. It's worth a try! Also, affinity groups have GroupMe groups, so ask to be added!

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Anyone have a sense of what Collins's curve usually looks like in Evidence? Will he give A+/C+ grades? Not that I expect to get either of those...

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 pm

LawMan16 wrote:Anyone have a sense of what Collins's curve usually looks like in Evidence? Will he give A+/C+ grades? Not that I expect to get either of those...
Didn't take Evidence with him but did take two other courses with him. It has been a few years but his curve was wider than most professors at UVA and I say that not just from personal experience but from going over professor specific curves back when UVA had a notebook of that data in the library. Pretty rare for him to give an A+ or a C+ but expect a good number of As and B-s if such are warranted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”