UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by 02082010 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:22 pm

COL is published at 17k/yr? 1Ls do you think you've spent close to 8.5k this so far? Is this a reasonable estimate, too modest, or inflated?

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:51 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:COL is published at 17k/yr? 1Ls do you think you've spent close to 8.5k this so far? Is this a reasonable estimate, too modest, or inflated?
Hmmm... good question. I would say that I'm pretty far below that. Just in case, I took out the full loan amount for this semester; I suspect that I'll be taking a lot less next semester. We'll see where I end up, but I can see myself taking less than half of what I took this semester (for COL).

Some caveats: I live with a roommate, I tend to be really frugal, I don't have any car-type payments, I'm hitting half of what I thought my food budget was going to be.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:56 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:COL is published at 17k/yr? 1Ls do you think you've spent close to 8.5k this so far? Is this a reasonable estimate, too modest, or inflated?
Hmmmmm... I pay $580 in rent + utilities each month, which totals $2610 through the end of December (starting halfway through August). I don't have a car, so no payments there. My food and alcohol budget is not extravagant, I don't think, so I highly doubt I'm even near $8500.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Hmmmmm... I pay $580 in rent + utilities each month, which totals $2610 through the end of December (starting halfway through August). I don't have a car, so no payments there. My food and alcohol budget is not extravagant, I don't think, so I highly doubt I'm even near $8500.
Sweet. My parents bought my car for me so I'll only have to pay for my apt, utilities, books, food, entertainment. That's awesome COL is so low. Not if only they give me some merit aid...

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm

to any UVA students- my wife and i have UVA at the top of the list right now. what is the pet policy for the apt's close to campus??? we have a dog... on our visit most students said the 1L's tend to live in ivy gardens (i think?). would anyone know if our dog is welcome there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:36 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:38 pm

Id be far below that if not for factors unique to my experience.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:09 pm

What are my chances at merit aid? When will I be notified if I receive any?

Monetary concerns aside, for the cross-admits, what made you all choose UVA over Michigan? I want Chicago biglaw, after a COA clerkship, and Michigan is seemingly better for both of these goals. Why UVA?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:What are my chances at merit aid? When will I be notified if I receive any?

Monetary concerns aside, for the cross-admits, what made you all choose UVA over Michigan? I want Chicago biglaw, after a COA clerkship, and Michigan is seemingly better for both of these goals. Why UVA?
Merit aid is a crap shoot. I don't ask people about it and know no rhyme or reason to predict people aside from higher numbers = better chance at merit aid except where they don't. I never considered Mich so I'll leave someone else to that question.

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 am

How do you prefer to take notes in class and why? Tablet PC, Laptop, Pen/Paper, or Other?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 am

jdavid901 wrote:How do you prefer to take notes in class and why? Tablet PC, Laptop, Pen/Paper, or Other?
In all honesty, I take the best notes with pen on paper because then I'm paying attention and thinking instead of gchatting.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:13 am

Kohinoor wrote:
jdavid901 wrote:How do you prefer to take notes in class and why? Tablet PC, Laptop, Pen/Paper, or Other?
In all honesty, I take the best notes with pen on paper because then I'm paying attention and thinking instead of gchatting.
This. Though then I'm lazy about typing up my notes and unlike my classmates I don't have typed notes to build an outline out of easily.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:14 am

I've heard (via TLS) nice things about the aesthetic quality of the women at UVA...thoughts?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:18 pm

TheWire wrote:I've heard (via TLS) nice things about the aesthetic quality of the women at UVA...thoughts?
Yes. Relative to what I imagine the quality at other law schools to be, at least.

If you went to UG in Pac 10, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC country, then you will probably not be impressed. This is law school, not public relations or pharmaceutical sales school - we were selected based on GPA/LSAT/"other factors" and not how nice we look (and certainly not on how socially adept we are).

If you went to UG in the northeast (Ivy) then you may be in for a nice step up, though.

c0rpusdelicti

New

Post by c0rpusdelicti » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:16 pm

I am a gay man who longs for a more cosmopolitan atmosphere than what, say, the likes of Portland, OR offers me.

Will I find life in Charlottesville completely untenable?

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:17 pm

I prefer laptop (netbook, really); but I have no qualms of seeing what's on the internet when someone asks an inane question. I have one class where computers aren't allowed and I find myself doodling instead during extended and painful cold calls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ridleyroses

New

Post by ridleyroses » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi. I'm wondering about the separation between the law school and undergrad. Is there much contact with undergrads? It seems like the undergraduate campus is extremely nice, but is the law school too far from that for that beauty to be a positive daily influence for a law school student? also, this might be more general of a question, but do you need a suit as a 1L?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:I am a gay man who longs for a more cosmopolitan atmosphere than what, say, the likes of Portland, OR offers me.

Will I find life in Charlottesville completely untenable?
I've never been to Portland, OR but it sounds like a dark, terrible place. Charlottesville has some decent bars, but you're going to be a 1L and probably won't get to go there anyway. If you want a truly cosmopolitan atmosphere, you should probably go to DC or New York. Just being real.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi. I'm wondering about the separation between the law school and undergrad. Is there much contact with undergrads?
The only real contact with undergrads probably comes from going out to the Corner, which is a hang out of both undergrads and grad students, though I do know of some people who live out there, so there might be other opinions.
It seems like the undergraduate campus is extremely nice, but is the law school too far from that for that beauty to be a positive daily influence for a law school student?
Personally, (excluding the rotunda itself) the law school is better looking than the main campus; but you won't see too much of it from the law school. It's about a half-hour walk or a five to 25 minute drive (depending on traffic).
also, this might be more general of a question, but do you need a suit as a 1L?
Haven't needed one yet, but I'm sure when interviews for summer positions come up a suit would be nice to have (these happen generally over or after winter break for 1Ls)

Batman2

New

Post by Batman2 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Hey, I hope this hasn't been covered already, but regarding your lack of car...

I am tired of owning a car and want to go to law school somewhere I don't need one. My impression of Charlottesville is that you can get around without one, but airport access is a problem. I am not sure where you are from originally, but how do people without cars get access to bigger airports like DC or Richmond?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Batman2 wrote:Hey, I hope this hasn't been covered already, but regarding your lack of car...

I am tired of owning a car and want to go to law school somewhere I don't need one. My impression of Charlottesville is that you can get around without one, but airport access is a problem. I am not sure where you are from originally, but how do people without cars get access to bigger airports like DC or Richmond?
Well... finding someone to give you a ride to one of those airports might be a bit more challenging than getting a ride to Charlottesville's. I'm from Seattle, and I've never had any problem finding a one-stop flight from Charlottesville to Seattle. I believe the airport has flights to DC (Dulles), Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Detroit, so if you can make it home from one of those cities, you should be OK.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:50 pm

ridleyroses

New

Post by ridleyroses » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 pm

this might be a shot in the dark, but do you know what the situation is with squash courts? It seems like the university doesn't have a team, im wondering if any law students play squash somewhere in the area?

ridleyroses

New

Post by ridleyroses » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 pm

similarly, good running trails?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”