UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by 20170322 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am

UVA2B wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Hey, all! Few questions:

1) Is there a way to get a mailbox at the school?

2) When do schedules for 1L come out?

3) When does softball start in the fall? How often do you play?

4) Any tips for buying furniture?
Every student has a "mailbox," but it's not a PO box and USPS won't deliver to it. It'll be mainly for dropping stuff off for other students.

Schedules are driven by your section, which you'll find out the week before orientation starts.

Softball starts ~2 weeks into the semester, and you'll play one game per week. Your section may practice on top of that, but that's up to the section to schedule.

For furniture, you should start with Craigslist and go from there. There will likely be people selling furniture on FB, but since you're not on FB, you'll be left to more generalized stuff like Craigslist.
Thanks fam! That was really helpful. Wahoowa!

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:27 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Post by nimbus cloud » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 am

How is the internet at the Ivy? Did it get any better since 2013-14?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:37 am

SweetTort wrote:
4) Any tips for buying furniture?

http://circainc.com/

also great for furniture. some items are overpriced, but they have a lot there and if you poke around you can find good deals

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:16 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Did anyone negotiate with UVA back when they were applying? If so, how'd you go about it, and were you ultimately successful? I'm one of many who got absolutely nada last night, 100% loans. I've been accepted to higher-ranked schools (Chicago, Penn -- aid pending) and lower-ranked schools with nice scholarships (Cornell, Vanderbilt, WUSTL), but I'm not sure if any of these things would be legitimate leverage in asking UVA to reconsider. Any advice?
There's no magic to it, you just e-mail/call and say "Hey, I'm really interested in attending UVA, but I have to make sure it makes sense financially, is there any merit based aid available at this point?" They'll check your file to see how much they want you, check how much aid is available (this changes every time someone with a scholarship offer declines), and if they can, they'll offer it to you. Just keep in mind, merit aid at this point in the cycle is not about having a compelling story, or being a world-class cellist or whatever, it's just about whether or not they need someone like you to round out the class, for whatever it is they're lacking at that point (GPA/LSAT/whatever). If you're a jerk or abrasive that will probably hurt your chances (just speculating, maybe it won't), but it's a very transactional process at this point. No harm trying. I did this and got a significant aid package just a few days before the fist deposit deadline, which is when I think they've got a decent amount of money to give out, and trying to convert acceptances into matriculants.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Any 3L's-- I will buy all your furniture. Pls help.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Does the North Grounds gym have a good/active pickup basketball scene?

lawcapture

Bronze

Post by lawcapture » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:04 pm

SweetTort wrote:Does the North Grounds gym have a good/active pickup basketball scene?
this is the question I came to ask. Attorneys at ball assemble

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 pm

lawcapture wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Does the North Grounds gym have a good/active pickup basketball scene?
We have a 1L group that meets most Saturdays earlier in the semester before the finals rush. It's usually about 10 people. Very chill and fun.

lawcapture

Bronze

Post by lawcapture » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:17 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
lawcapture wrote:
We have a 1L group that meets most Saturdays earlier in the semester before the finals rush. It's usually about 10 people. Very chill and fun.
That's dope... do any law students play intramurals? Always hated playing grad students as an undergrad tho

#ripbarb

New

Post by #ripbarb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:46 pm

lawcapture wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
lawcapture wrote:
That's dope... do any law students play intramurals? Always hated playing grad students as an undergrad tho
We definitely need to get a law school squad out there. it seems you have become what you hate. such is life

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Not from the area, but coming in for ASW: Can anyone tell me if the area Uber can get you from the airport to grounds? I'd rather just use that than figure out an airport shuttle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 pm

mrgstephe wrote:Not from the area, but coming in for ASW: Can anyone tell me if the area Uber can get you from the airport to grounds? I'd rather just use that than figure out an airport shuttle.
You can just pull up uber and see, but I just did it and it said you could get an uber in 7 min, which would take you to the law school for $16.

There's cabs there too, there used to be a flat rate to/from the airport of like $25

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 pm

You usually had to specifically ask for the flat rate though. And most don't have credit card machines.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:53 pm

I used Uber for everything during ASW last year, it was cheap and easy

Law2020!

New

Post by Law2020! » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Last edited by Law2020! on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Law2020! wrote:Hello! I have two questions.

First, can those who chose UVA over Michigan talk about why they did so?

Second, I was surprised by the high rates of burglaries and other crimes in charlottesville. Can students, especially the women, talk about how safe they feel, particularly in the campus area and in the Pavilion?
Pick between the two depending on job prospects and overall debt.

Outside of rare events that happen everywhere in the country, there really isn't any crime near the law school, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Boiler2020

New

Post by Boiler2020 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Last edited by Boiler2020 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Is there any consensus on what numbers make you a strong candidate for a full scholarship? The LSN data for my stats are weird. Only half were accepted but 100% of the admitted applicants got a full ride.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:15 pm

etramak wrote:Is there any consensus on what numbers make you a strong candidate for a full scholarship? The LSN data for my stats are weird. Only half were accepted but 100% of the admitted applicants got a full ride.
sounds like you answered your own question

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

5ky wrote:
etramak wrote:Is there any consensus on what numbers make you a strong candidate for a full scholarship? The LSN data for my stats are weird. Only half were accepted but 100% of the admitted applicants got a full ride.
Yes but the data is scarce - and it seemed odd that half or perhaps even a majority were waitlisted. I don't have HYS numbers by the way. I'm a good candidate for the Harvard and maybe the Stanford waitlist, and I was pretty surprised when I saw people with my stats getting a 160k

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

etramak wrote:
5ky wrote:
Yes but the data is scarce - and it seemed odd that half or perhaps even a majority were waitlisted. I don't have HYS numbers by the way. I'm a good candidate for the Harvard and maybe the Stanford waitlist, and I was pretty surprised when I saw people with my stats getting a 160k
The data is scarce because the scholarship is scarce. And it's not strictly a numbers game. You could have exactly 75th/75th and get it, or you could be significantly above one or the other 75th while being below the other. The reason you're seeing 50% is really because they pick their spots to offer it, and usually the alternative if you're in those ranges is a WL vice an acceptance for less. Admissions are very smart folks, and they know they have to manage funds being given out, so they find the candidates with the right overall profile to offer the Dillard. Numbers are necessary (albeit a bit mushy as described above), but they are not dispositive of getting the Dillard.

I know it sucks that it's not just a formulaic approach to offering full rides, but it rarely is when you're talking T13 full named scholarships.

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Any advice for a student headed to UVA from a city that didn't LOVE Charlottesville right away? I've heard it grows on you?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:14 pm

i think there's non-dillard full tuition scholarships too but again your numbers are competitive for it, so there's not much more to discuss. you are never going to have numbers where getting a full ride is an auto lock

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”