UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:18 pm

5ky wrote:
etramak wrote:Is there any consensus on what numbers make you a strong candidate for a full scholarship? The LSN data for my stats are weird. Only half were accepted but 100% of the admitted applicants got a full ride.
sounds like you answered your own question
If you avoid YP and are above both 75ths, you'll probs get a full ride.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks everyone. Think I have a better idea now. I'm just one point above the 75% LSAT and .02 points below the 75% GPA, so maybe I have a shot.
It also looked like there was a correlation in the TLS spreadsheet between students that wrote a why UVA essay and students that were accepted vs. admitted, so maybe that can help put someone over the edge.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am

ray.bee wrote:Any advice for a student headed to UVA from a city that didn't LOVE Charlottesville right away? I've heard it grows on you?
I know several people including myself who found Charlottesville pretty lackluster right off the bat. In part, this has to do with driving into town for the first time from the airport along 29 and seeing all the depressing strip malls. It also has to do with the fact that Charlottesville is generally so over-hyped by the school and its students that there is naturally some let down.

All that said, of the people I know who were dissatisfied at the beginning, everyone has come around. It really is beautiful here for a good chunk of the school year with lots to do outdoors, the food is good enough, there are wineries and cideries, the people are very friendly, there's college-esque nightlife (bars/concerts/festivals), etc.

If you think UVA Law might be for you, I wouldn't put too much weight on a bad first impression of the town itself. The odds are you'll come around.

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:45 pm

whats an updog wrote:
ray.bee wrote:Any advice for a student headed to UVA from a city that didn't LOVE Charlottesville right away? I've heard it grows on you?
I know several people including myself who found Charlottesville pretty lackluster right off the bat. In part, this has to do with driving into town for the first time from the airport along 29 and seeing all the depressing strip malls. It also has to do with the fact that Charlottesville is generally so over-hyped by the school and its students that there is naturally some let down.

All that said, of the people I know who were dissatisfied at the beginning, everyone has come around. It really is beautiful here for a good chunk of the school year with lots to do outdoors, the food is good enough, there are wineries and cideries, the people are very friendly, there's college-esque nightlife (bars/concerts/festivals), etc.

If you think UVA Law might be for you, I wouldn't put too much weight on a bad first impression of the town itself. The odds are you'll come around.
This is really great to hear. Thank you for your response! :)

Law2020!

New

Post by Law2020! » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Last edited by Law2020! on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:24 am

I'm trying to decide between Duke and UVA at essentially the same cost (Duke would be slightly cheaper). Can someone talk about what kind of person might fit in better at UVA than Duke, or how UVA's culture might be better than Duke for some people? Also if you have any thoughts on going to Texas for biglaw from Duke/UVA ...

Also, how do OCIs work at UVA?

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:I'm trying to decide between Duke and UVA at essentially the same cost (Duke would be slightly cheaper). Can someone talk about what kind of person might fit in better at UVA than Duke, or how UVA's culture might be better than Duke for some people? Also if you have any thoughts on going to Texas for biglaw from Duke/UVA ...

Also, how do OCIs work at UVA?
Congrats on your offers!

I think the best advice I can offer is to visit both schools, if possible, and try to get a feel in person for the culture of each. That's how I made my decision--I found UVA to be a significantly happier place than anyplace else I visited and coming here was absolutely the right decision for me. I don't think there's one type of person that thrives at UVA but it definitely appeals to people who want to be part of a community. This doesn't mean you have to enjoy working in groups--many of the most social people here study alone--but I think the happiest UVA students are the ones who enjoy getting to know their classmates, spending time outside of class together, and getting through the 1L experience as a team. The minority of people who seem unhappy here tend to be those who are more naturally closed-off and distant.

Have not visited Duke so this is unscientific but also Charlottesville > Durham, Softball > Bowling, and Kyle Guy > Grayson Allen. On a more directly relevant note to you, LRW is pass/fail at UVA and letter graded at Duke. This may seem trivial now but will make a huge difference to you this time next year. LRW is the biggest time-suck 1L's face and I couldn't imagine how much more unpleasant a process it would have been if I knew it was going to affect my GPA.

Employment-wise, there is more diversity at UVA in terms of both type of practice (we have higher clerkship and PI numbers) and market (no one market takes more than 20% of our grads). Duke sends a lot more people to NYC biglaw. UVA sends more to pretty much every other market besides NYC and North Carolina. Realistically, if you stay out of the bottom 20% (really 10% if you can interview like a human being) at either school, your degree will be portable to most any market. In addition to what markets you're considering, consider also what kind of classmates you'd have at either school: more NYC biglaw gunners at Duke; more PI/government, DC-types, and Southerners at UVA.

Lastly w/r/t OGI: It's entirely on-grounds and is as well-oiled a machine as I've experienced. Our Career Services dean, Kevin Donovan, is the most popular person at the school and works his ass off all year to get people placed. Starting 1L fall you'll get one-on-one counseling with a career counselor where you'll set out an initial roadmap, and then after 1L grades come in you'll get advice tailored to people in your GPA range, including past hiring numbers for each of the firms that interview here. I think about ~600 firms come and you're allowed to bid 50 and accept up to 22 interviews. The bigger firms will have receptions in Cville during OGI week, and an increasing number also come during 1L spring to make a first connection. Firms that hire more than 1-2 UVA people a year will usually do an offer dinner in Cville as well. If you strike out during OGI, UVA runs a second round where Career Services tries to personally match students to firms with extra spots.

Hope this helped! Feel free to PM if you want. Good luck!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:44 pm

rhododactylos wrote:Have not visited Duke so this is unscientific but also Charlottesville > Durham, Softball > Bowling, and Kyle Guy > Grayson Allen. On a more directly relevant note to you, LRW is pass/fail at UVA and letter graded at Duke...

Employment-wise, there is more diversity at UVA in terms of both type of practice (we have higher clerkship and PI numbers) and market (no one market takes more than 20% of our grads).

Lastly w/r/t OGI: It's entirely on-grounds and is as well-oiled a machine as I've experienced. Our Career Services dean, Kevin Donovan, is the most popular person at the school and works his ass off all year to get people placed. Starting 1L fall you'll get one-on-one counseling with a career counselor where you'll set out an initial roadmap, and then after 1L grades come in you'll get advice tailored to people in your GPA range, including past hiring numbers for each of the firms that interview here. I think about ~600 firms come and you're allowed to bid 50 and accept up to 22 interviews. The bigger firms will have receptions in Cville during OGI week, and an increasing number also come during 1L spring to make a first connection. Firms that hire more than 1-2 UVA people a year will usually do an offer dinner in Cville as well. If you strike out during OGI, UVA runs a second round where Career Services tries to personally match students to firms with extra spots.
This is immensely helpful thank you so much!

I LOVE that LRW is pass/fail haha -- that really does sound huge. And I love what you said about geographic diversity. But I am more of a bowling guy... :P

And I got a chance to speak with Kevin he is amazing! It seems like he truly cares -- he made me very comfortable about potentially choosing UVA.

What percent of the class do you think strikes out during OGI? And then how many of them get something in the second round?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 pm

I would guess (and this is just a gut guess) that as high as 30% strike out at actual OGI, but a good amount of those will eventually get something. I have a few friends who struck out and they all eventually got good jobs. On the other hand, I know of at least two people (and I am sure there are more) who don't have anything yet as 3Ls. For final stats, probably best just to look at LST or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:39 am

Where do you need to land in the class to have a decent shot at Atlanta? (with ties)

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Anyone know who I'd contact about asking a retired prof for a letter of recommendation? I'm an alumni.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:59 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Anyone know who I'd contact about asking a retired prof for a letter of recommendation? I'm an alumni.
Are they listed on the website? I think some of them maintain offices at the law school.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm

whats an updog wrote:I would guess (and this is just a gut guess) that as high as 30% strike out at actual OGI, but a good amount of those will eventually get something. I have a few friends who struck out and they all eventually got good jobs. On the other hand, I know of at least two people (and I am sure there are more) who don't have anything yet as 3Ls. For final stats, probably best just to look at LST or something.
I think it may be better than this - cutting the class size seems to have really helped. 550 firm offices coming to interview for a class of 300 (many of whom don't even want to work in big law) does great things for the odds. I went to a non-DC/NYC market and someone in CS told me just to stay out of the bottom 10%.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:11 am

How hard would it be to get NYC litigation out of UVA?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 am

OneHandedEconomist wrote:How hard would it be to get NYC litigation out of UVA?
Relatively speaking, not very hard. If you're in the median group of students, you can get NYC lit.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:12 pm

So, what's the deal with joining multiple softball teams? Like, I know as a 1L you join your section's team, but can you join affiliated teams outside of that (like, club teams?) If so, how does that work?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:So, what's the deal with joining multiple softball teams? Like, I know as a 1L you join your section's team, but can you join affiliated teams outside of that (like, club teams?) If so, how does that work?
You can join as many as you like outside of teams that are invitation only. If you're really into softball, you can easily join 3-4 teams. General rule of thumb for softball is you can play as much as or as little softball as you want. It's fun, but it's not for everyone, and the entire student body understands that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:21 pm

UVA2B wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:So, what's the deal with joining multiple softball teams? Like, I know as a 1L you join your section's team, but can you join affiliated teams outside of that (like, club teams?) If so, how does that work?
You can join as many as you like outside of teams that are invitation only. If you're really into softball, you can easily join 3-4 teams. General rule of thumb for softball is you can play as much as or as little softball as you want. It's fun, but it's not for everyone, and the entire student body understands that.
So if I fucking love softball and play in undergrad, there wouldn't be a problem with joining some clubs just to play softball? Haha

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
So if I fucking love softball and play in undergrad, there wouldn't be a problem with joining some clubs just to play softball? Haha
You're gonna be popular

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
You're gonna be popular
:oops: Sorry

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Hell no, suit up and ball. There are plenty of people playing on multiple teams, and if you want to get really involved, join NGSL where you'll get your finger on the pulse of softball at UVA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
You're gonna be popular
Not being sarcastic, in case it was unclear.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
You're gonna be popular
Not being sarcastic, in case it was unclear.
Oh hahaha I thought you were making fun of me for being a spazz, which would've been completely fair. Haha

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:28 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:Oh hahaha I thought you were making fun of me for being a spazz, which would've been completely fair. Haha
If you can swing a bat well and reasonably catch the ball, you're going to be asked to play on teams. If you can go yard regularly, you're going to be fighting off requests with a bat.

2020grad

New

Post by 2020grad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Last edited by 2020grad on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”