UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nagster5

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by Nagster5 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:48 am

Anxious-Undergrad wrote:90% I will be attending UVA LAW in the fall. Therefore, I have a few questions about the school.

1. J-Term: J-Term is open to 1Ls correct? Is J-Term graded on the curve? Do students attend J-Term and do the classes fill up? Lastly, can you take more than 1 course during J-term?

2. Moot Court: What is the process for signing up and do you recommend doing it? Do you get to pick your partner?

3. Law Review: Grade-cutoff? How tedious is writing on? Is being on law review enjoyable at all? How about the other journals?

4. MA in History: Thoughts on the program? How much extra work is it and when should I apply? Is it worth it? Are the classes enjoyable? Also, I have heard you can write your thesis for the MA and also try to get it published as a note for law review, is this true?

5. Clerkship: When does the process begin? Also, should an appellate clerkship be the goal or is fed clerkship first a better route?

6. 1L Summer: What have you all done your 1L summer? Is SA possible? clerkship?

7. Grades: any tips for crushing it 1L in the grade department? I am hoping to do well!

8. Food: what do you all do for food? cook most of the time? There are no dining-halls right?

Finally, is it possible to do Moot Court, Law Review, MA in history or is that just to much?

Thank you so much!
1. I took a J Term, good for getting a credit out of the way, and not very taxing. The curve only kicks in if there's more than ~8 kids in the class. So keep in mind, a class with 9 kids in it will be basically all B+s, unless your prof is sadistic. This could be good or bad depending on how 1L shook out for you. I was the only one in my J term class, which I really enjoyed, but some fill up. It all depends. I'll echo what UVA2B said: The rat race for 1L employment starts during finals (thanks ABA!), make sure anything you're doing doesn't interfere with that.

2. To me, 1L grades > all. I wasn't willing to take on such a time commitment when I had such an important thing going on. I still feel it was the right decision, but it does seem like Moot/Mock are something lit firms care about. A lot of my section-mates are doing it, and they seem to get something out of it, but it is a considerable time commitment.

3. Like UVA2B said, the grade-on is not a GPA, but a ranking, so what GPA will get you on depends on your classmates. A mid/high 3.7 is usually the cut off. Journal tryout is a weekend, which is fairly unique to UVA and a huge blessing. I thought it was kind of fun, it's a cool way to see the things you've learned come together

4. I know someone doing this. It's fairly competitive, you should have some strong UG history credentials. Not too much extra work, maybe less if you prefer writing papers to cramming for exams for hours. Downside is you will have basically no flexibility in scheduling, and honestly the degree is pretty worthless to employers, so unless you're planning on going into academia I don't see the point. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your thesis for a note submission.

5. Very very few, highly selective judges (the kind the school basically applies to for you) will start grabbing people after 1L fall grades. Many judges are now saying they won't take anyone who doesn't have 2 years of practice. The process is scattered, idiosyncratic, and changes every year. There used to be a gentleman's agreement among judges on a much more uniform process, then it broke down a couple years ago. Ruth Payne seems to think a system will reform soon, so you might have a much easier time.

As for the goal, there is a general preftige hierarchy, but if you're in the running for the kinds of clerkships where this really actually matters (ex: feeder v. nonfeeder CoAs), the right people will approach you. Also, if you have specific practice area interest, state courts or district courts may be the better option over a CoA (DE SC, EDTX, SDNY). In any other case, it's going to be a matter of fit with your judge, where you think you're going to learn/grow the most, etc. In other words, it's highly situation dependent and you are way jumping the gun here.

6. Most 1L SAs are diversity/patent/etc, but I know a few "non-diverse" guys who got SAs even without stellar grades. It's a lot about hustle and a lot about your interviewing skills. No one clerks 1L summer, you can intern for a judge. Otherwise people go to literally any legal job you can think of.

7. Every class is different. I approach a class with 30 short answer questions completely different than an issue spotter with massive fact patterns. Generally, I would write your own outlines, then compare to old ones for ideas, completeness, etc. Using old outlines doesn't make you reprocess the info and make sure you can understand it in a way that allows you to put the info into your own words. Listening to the prof is key. Use the same steps of analysis they do, use the cases they like/cite a lot. Write down the little hints and examples they use, as they often appear on the test (I've had at least two finals where an offhand comment about what the law is in VA ended up on the exam). As you're going over the material, try to figure out how you would ask a question that would really press on the distinctions in the material. If two cases are at odds, how would you create a fact pattern that really stresses that tension, and how would you resolve it? This is heresy, but I find study groups are largely either a waste of time, or a security blanket to relieve the stress of uncertainty about where you stand. Your time is better spent actually going over the material, finding out what you don't know, and talking to your prof about any confusion.

8. To add to UVA2B's response, there is also a bookstore with a good selection of snacks, and there is almost always some free food at some group function. You could easily live off of free food 1L year if you're not picky. I also use orderup quite a bit to get stuff delivered to the school.

9. That depends on you, and your goals. At the end of the day, grades >> interview ability >>> filling out your resume with a ton of bells and whistles, unless you have particularized goals. My approach was to spend the first semester focused on grades, and then reassess my ability to juggle more from there. You won't know about LR until after 1L, you can pick up the MA in history second semester, and moot court will always be there.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 am

Nagster5 wrote:
Anxious-Undergrad wrote:90% I will be attending UVA LAW in the fall. Therefore, I have a few questions about the school.

1. J-Term: J-Term is open to 1Ls correct? Is J-Term graded on the curve? Do students attend J-Term and do the classes fill up? Lastly, can you take more than 1 course during J-term?

2. Moot Court: What is the process for signing up and do you recommend doing it? Do you get to pick your partner?

3. Law Review: Grade-cutoff? How tedious is writing on? Is being on law review enjoyable at all? How about the other journals?

4. MA in History: Thoughts on the program? How much extra work is it and when should I apply? Is it worth it? Are the classes enjoyable? Also, I have heard you can write your thesis for the MA and also try to get it published as a note for law review, is this true?

5. Clerkship: When does the process begin? Also, should an appellate clerkship be the goal or is fed clerkship first a better route?

7. Grades: any tips for crushing it 1L in the grade department? I am hoping to do well!

8. Food: what do you all do for food? cook most of the time? There are no dining-halls right?

Finally, is it possible to do Moot Court, Law Review, MA in history or is that just to much?

Thank you so much!
1. I took a J Term, good for getting a credit out of the way, and not very taxing. The curve only kicks in if there's more than ~8 kids in the class. So keep in mind, a class with 9 kids in it will be basically all B+s, unless your prof is sadistic. This could be good or bad depending on how 1L shook out for you. I was the only one in my J term class, which I really enjoyed, but some fill up. It all depends. I'll echo what UVA2B said: The rat race for 1L employment starts during finals (thanks ABA!), make sure anything you're doing doesn't interfere with that.

2. To me, 1L grades > all. I wasn't willing to take on such a time commitment when I had such an important thing going on. I still feel it was the right decision, but it does seem like Moot/Mock are something lit firms care about. A lot of my section-mates are doing it, and they seem to get something out of it, but it is a considerable time commitment.

3. Like UVA2B said, the grade-on is not a GPA, but a ranking, so what GPA will get you on depends on your classmates. A mid/high 3.7 is usually the cut off. Journal tryout is a weekend, which is fairly unique to UVA and a huge blessing. I thought it was kind of fun, it's a cool way to see the things you've learned come together

4. I know someone doing this. It's fairly competitive, you should have some strong UG history credentials. Not too much extra work, maybe less if you prefer writing papers to cramming for exams for hours. Downside is you will have basically no flexibility in scheduling, and honestly the degree is pretty worthless to employers, so unless you're planning on going into academia I don't see the point. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your thesis for a note submission.

5. Very very few, highly selective judges (the kind the school basically applies to for you) will start grabbing people after 1L fall grades. Many judges are now saying they won't take anyone who doesn't have 2 years of practice. The process is scattered, idiosyncratic, and changes every year. There used to be a gentleman's agreement among judges on a much more uniform process, then it broke down a couple years ago. Ruth Payne seems to think a system will reform soon, so you might have a much easier time.

As for the goal, there is a general preftige hierarchy, but if you're in the running for the kinds of clerkships where this really actually matters (ex: feeder v. nonfeeder CoAs), the right people will approach you. Also, if you have specific practice area interest, state courts or district courts may be the better option over a CoA (DE SC, EDTX, SDNY). In any other case, it's going to be a matter of fit with your judge, where you think you're going to learn/grow the most, etc. In other words, it's highly situation dependent and you are way jumping the gun here.

6. Most 1L SAs are diversity/patent/etc, but I know a few "non-diverse" guys who got SAs even without stellar grades. It's a lot about hustle and a lot about your interviewing skills. No one clerks 1L summer, you can intern for a judge. Otherwise people go to literally any legal job you can think of.

7. Every class is different. I approach a class with 30 short answer questions completely different than an issue spotter with massive fact patterns. Generally, I would write your own outlines, then compare to old ones for ideas, completeness, etc. Using old outlines doesn't make you reprocess the info and make sure you can understand it in a way that allows you to put the info into your own words. Listening to the prof is key. Use the same steps of analysis they do, use the cases they like/cite a lot. Write down the little hints and examples they use, as they often appear on the test (I've had at least two finals where an offhand comment about what the law is in VA ended up on the exam). As you're going over the material, try to figure out how you would ask a question that would really press on the distinctions in the material. If two cases are at odds, how would you create a fact pattern that really stresses that tension, and how would you resolve it? This is heresy, but I find study groups are largely either a waste of time, or a security blanket to relieve the stress of uncertainty about where you stand. Your time is better spent actually going over the material, finding out what you don't know, and talking to your prof about any confusion.

8. To add to UVA2B's response, there is also a bookstore with a good selection of snacks, and there is almost always some free food at some group function. You could easily live off of free food 1L year if you're not picky. I also use orderup quite a bit to get stuff delivered to the school.

9. That depends on you, and your goals. At the end of the day, grades >> interview ability >>> filling out your resume with a ton of bells and whistles, unless you have particularized goals. My approach was to spend the first semester focused on grades, and then reassess my ability to juggle more from there. You won't know about LR until after 1L, you can pick up the MA in history second semester, and moot court will always be there.
Nothing to add, just wanted to say this is all spot-on. Great advice.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Fri May 05, 2017 9:45 am

Thank you so much!

Everybody else has made some great comments, so I just have a couple things to add:

2) There's two types of moot court at UVA: extramural and Lile. UVA is one of (if not the only) school that lets 1Ls do extramural moot court. There's a tryout within the first month or so that involves reading some pre-prepared materials and then signing up for a 10 minute tryout argument. The tryout isn't meant to be a lot of work since they're just looking for people with a knack for oral advocacy. If you make the team you get sent to a competition the next semester. Most 1Ls get paired with a 2L or a 3L (it's completely random) who will help you learn how to draft a brief (before your peers in LRW!) and prepare for arguments. You also get a 2l or 3L coach and a JAG coach for when you start mooting. I did this 1L year and I would highly recommend it. It significantly improved my legal writing and analysis. That being said, it was a lot of extra work during second semester of 1L year (there's no competitions first semester), so you have to be committed. As far as whether or not it's worth it, that's your own decision. I see it more as a hedge: I ended up with decent grades coming out of 1L fall and even better ones coming out of 1L spring, but if I hadn't my EXMC experience would have been more important. Did EXMC get me a callback/offer? Probably not. But I'm sure it contributed to at least one. And if I was sitting well below median I would sure want to have something else on my resume (be it EXMC, a leadership position, or something else) to distinguish me.

The other moot court option at UVA is the Lile Competiton. Lile is intramural, meaning it's only UVA students. It's been going on for around 90 years, and it has a really great reputation. There's no tryout - you sign up at the end of 1L or the beginning of 2L, pay a small fee, and then get started writing a brief and arguing during 2L fall. I think they are changing the structure of the competition around, but you start out in the first round competing individually. Then the top performers move on and form teams for the next rounds. The field gets whittled down until the finals, where two teams duke it out in front of some really prestigious judges for the title. If you're planning on gunning for grades and don't want the extra work from EXMC this might be a better option, since it doesn't start until 2L. That being said, there's people who do EXMC and Lile AND mock trial (or people who do VLR/Lile/History MA for that matter), so it's all about how much you want on your plate.

One general point (read: unsolicited advice): There's no set guideline for what's "doable," or what you should do in law school for that matter. The EIC of VLR (generally considered one of the busiest people at the law school) this year made it to the final round of Lile along with some other leadership positions. It's all "doable," the question is what you want to do, and how much work you're willing to put into it. Although there's some great advice on here, there's no way to figure out what's best for your interests, abilities, and career path just by asking questions of fellow TLSers. Re: 2-8, there's a lot of contingencies involved in these that you just can't plan for. I'd say give it your all, and try out for whatever interests you. When you get to law school, wherever that may be, talk to upperclassmen and find out what worked for them. Your PAs will have a lot of advice on different study techniques and how to prioritize your time. So while it's good to come in with a plan, law school is really about rolling with the punches and adjusting what you do based on all of the information you hear and what outcomes you see based on your own work. Finally, law school isn't just about VLR/moot court/1L SAs/masters degrees. Finding a good group of friends and building a professional network is just as important. A+ on the planning front, but make sure you have some fun too!

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Sun May 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Last edited by VirginiaFan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:Do UVA's PILA grants cover judicial internships?
No

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:35 am

UVA2B wrote:

1. J-term is open to 1Ls. I would caution against participating unless it's a fun trip or something like that. You'll be burned out by fall semester, will need a mental break, and should be focused on summer 1L employment. Post-exams is when you do your most work getting Summer 1L employment.
J-term doesn't count toward your 1L credit hours required, right? Like, I can't take one fewer class in the spring if I take a J-term course?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 08, 2017 12:16 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

1. J-term is open to 1Ls. I would caution against participating unless it's a fun trip or something like that. You'll be burned out by fall semester, will need a mental break, and should be focused on summer 1L employment. Post-exams is when you do your most work getting Summer 1L employment.
J-term doesn't count toward your 1L credit hours required, right? Like, I can't take one fewer class in the spring if I take a J-term course?

No it does. Take a 1L J term if (or if you predict) your GPA will be below median because J Term grades are pretty much B+ across the board (obviously with variation, but I wouldn't risk it if you're gpa is above median, unless you absolutely love a certain class offering or something).

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Mon May 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Last edited by VirginiaFan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:
Br3v wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

No it does. Take a 1L J term if (or if you predict) your GPA will be below median because J Term grades are pretty much B+ across the board (obviously with variation, but I wouldn't risk it if you're gpa is above median, unless you absolutely love a certain class offering or something).
Do you know grades by the time you register for J Term?
I don't think so. You might be able to drop once grades start coming in though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 12:59 pm

cornerstone wrote:
VirginiaFan wrote:
Br3v wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

I don't think so. You might be able to drop once grades start coming in though.
I wouldn't bank on being able to drop since grades are generally due in the last week of J term, and professors nearly never get grades out that early.

Anxious-Undergrad

New

Post by Anxious-Undergrad » Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm

What electives do most 1Ls opt to take in the spring?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Anxious-Undergrad wrote:What electives do most 1Ls opt to take in the spring?
It's literally whatever you want that is open to 1Ls, but I'll list a few of the favorites:

1. Corporations
2. Accounting/Corporate Finance
3. Evidence
4. Federal Income Tax
5. International Law

I'm probably leaving out a couple because I'm listing off the top of my head, but it's a good starting list. It really depends on what you'll be doing for the summer (Evidence if you're going to the DOJ for instance) and what your particular interests are in.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon May 08, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm fairly certain this has already been asked somewhere ITT, but how much did you guys put into studying/reading outside of class during 1L? Particularly in the beginning of the semester? I have multiple events going on during the weekends of the first 2 months of 1L at UVA and I'm unsure as to whether to cancel some of these because of the workload

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anxious-Undergrad

New

Post by Anxious-Undergrad » Mon May 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Also, when do most students take Federal Courts?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 pm

RParadela wrote:I'm fairly certain this has already been asked somewhere ITT, but how much did you guys put into studying/reading outside of class during 1L? Particularly in the beginning of the semester? I have multiple events going on during the weekends of the first 2 months of 1L at UVA and I'm unsure as to whether to cancel some of these because of the workload
You won't need to cancel events during the first couple of months due to the workload. As long as they're before ~Thanksgiving, you'll be able to front-load/catch up if you take a weekend off. 1L is a grind, but it's not "put your entire life on hold for 9 months" bad. Just work smartly and it'll be completely manageable.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Anxious-Undergrad wrote:Also, when do most students take Federal Courts?
Entirely depends on when you want to take it. The only real planning you should do with regard to planning your academic calendar is when you take PR, when you satisfy your writing requirement, and planning for any particular clinics you'll want to do as a 2L or 3L (like taking patents in the fall prior to doing the patent clinic in the spring, for instance). Otherwise you really don't need to be planning your elective schedule anytime soon.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 08, 2017 5:04 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:
Br3v wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Probably not all of them (which is why I added "predict") but you will likely have a few data points in time to drop. J Term is 1 credit though so this isn't a huge decision you should overly stress about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon May 08, 2017 5:06 pm

UVA2B wrote:
RParadela wrote:I'm fairly certain this has already been asked somewhere ITT, but how much did you guys put into studying/reading outside of class during 1L? Particularly in the beginning of the semester? I have multiple events going on during the weekends of the first 2 months of 1L at UVA and I'm unsure as to whether to cancel some of these because of the workload
You won't need to cancel events during the first couple of months due to the workload. As long as they're before ~Thanksgiving, you'll be able to front-load/catch up if you take a weekend off. 1L is a grind, but it's not "put your entire life on hold for 9 months" bad. Just work smartly and it'll be completely manageable.
Yeah that was my thought process as well but didn't want to plan a bunch of weekend trips and then realize I'm gonna be hurting grade wise.

Btw, appreciate all of you do here man. Super helpful!

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm

RParadela wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Yeah that was my thought process as well but didn't want to plan a bunch of weekend trips and then realize I'm gonna be hurting grade wise.

Btw, appreciate all of you do here man. Super helpful!
Second on it being manageable to have a bunch of busy weekends away from the law school. I avoided work on almost every Friday and Saturday and it worked out fine. The one caveat I'd add is that half of law school is meeting people and building your network. Not all of that happens on the weekends, but you'll want a couple free to do some section bonding, etc.

SaigonGin

New

Post by SaigonGin » Tue May 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi y'all,

Lots of great info in here. I've got a question regarding final undergraduate transcripts — does UVA care/make you send them in? I'm already deposited, but have been undergoing some medical issues this semester that led to a .1 drop in overall GPA. I would gladly explain if necessary, but obviously would prefer to just let it ride.

Thanks!

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm

SaigonGin wrote:Hi y'all,

Lots of great info in here. I've got a question regarding final undergraduate transcripts — does UVA care/make you send them in? I'm already deposited, but have been undergoing some medical issues this semester that led to a .1 drop in overall GPA. I would gladly explain if necessary, but obviously would prefer to just let it ride.

Thanks!
I'm a lowly 0L, but can confirm that UVA requires that you furnish them with a final transcript showing the award of a bachelor's degree. It is sent directly to the law school via mail, and not via LSAC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks!
They wont care, don't stress

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Nagster5 wrote:

Thanks!
They wont care, don't stress
This, just turn them in and be done with it. They are required to show all of their students are carrying a bachelors degree and they do that with your transcripts. This won't be admissions/financial aid decision 2.0.

Finickywalrus

New

Post by Finickywalrus » Sun May 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Random question but how are exams submitted? Are they done in word and we just send a pdf to an account when we're done? Or is there an exam program/software that we install on our computer and we submit through that? If the latter is the case, are there any storage requirements (such that I couldn't get a chromebook or something like that)?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun May 14, 2017 12:49 pm

Finickywalrus wrote:Random question but how are exams submitted? Are they done in word and we just send a pdf to an account when we're done? Or is there an exam program/software that we install on our computer and we submit through that? If the latter is the case, are there any storage requirements (such that I couldn't get a chromebook or something like that)?
We use a system called expo that submits the word document online. As long as your OS is compatible with it (and I'd imagine a chromebook would be fine for this), you'll be fine.

That being said, easily 75% of students use some form of mac. Take that for what it is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”