Florida Coastal School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLS_user

New

Florida Coastal School of Law

Post by TLS_user » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:02 pm

Law School Programs >> Florida Law Schools

fcsl.edu
Florida Coastal School of Law is located in Jacksonville, FL.

Please "post a reply" and add any comments you have about FCSL. Many generations of prospective law students will benefit by the information you share.

govchs

New

Post by govchs » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:49 pm

They sent me a bunch of flyers telling me that they'd pay $500 of my costs if I come down to Florida (from PA) to visit. I was tempted until I researched their statistics, which weren't that impressive.

I thought about going down there anyway even though I wasn't really going to apply (hell, just to go to the beach and get some sun), but I felt bad for them. Think about it: if they have to bribe people to come to sunny Florida, they're pretty sad already.

I'm not talking about philosophy, just that I didn't feel it was right.

Oh well, that's all I have to say about this school.

mk1soccer

New

FC is better than at first glance

Post by mk1soccer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:44 am

This is what I have heard about FC in the firm that I intern for in Tallahassee. Basically they are a for profit law school, which means they have high interest in producing successful attorneys for prestige and donations. Hence instead of focusing and getting so involved in the world of academia, such as most other law professors at most other law schools, they focus on preparing you for being the best attorney possible.

This is why, i believe, they have dominated the moot courts in Florida and have had very high bar passage rates comparatively. Any time you have kids coming in with 148-154 average LSATs and after 3 years beating out schools with kids coming in at 160+ Lsat scores is a testament to what they are trying to do there in Jacksonville. They are always nearly beating out FSU and UF, although those two are still slightly stronger in the Bar, and sometimes beating all of them outright, such as 2005. I wouldn't be surprised to see this school becoming one of the state's best in the next decade, right up there with UF and FSU. Shit it was just accredited 4 years ago.

Also I just visited there. The Facilities are far superior than the state schools; pretty much the best and newest that I have seen. Right on the water.

tigerlilly17

New

Re: Florida Coastal School of Law

Post by tigerlilly17 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 am

I was sent an acceptance e-mail with a $20,000 scholarship offer. Tempting but I have until June 15th to decide if I want to commit. They are asking for a $200 scholarship/seat deposit before 6/15. Seems a bit shady to me.

It seems if they are willing to give me so much, my chances at FSU or FIU will be good too. At least that is my hope.

(Crossing my fingers....holding my breath for the Dec 2009 LSAT score release....)

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:22 pm

This is what I have heard about FC in the firm that I intern for in Tallahassee. Basically they are a for profit law school, which means they have high interest in producing successful attorneys for prestige and donations. Hence instead of focusing and getting so involved in the world of academia, such as most other law professors at most other law schools, they focus on preparing you for being the best attorney possible.

This is why, i believe, they have dominated the moot courts in Florida and have had very high bar passage rates comparatively. Any time you have kids coming in with 148-154 average LSATs and after 3 years beating out schools with kids coming in at 160+ Lsat scores is a testament to what they are trying to do there in Jacksonville. They are always nearly beating out FSU and UF, although those two are still slightly stronger in the Bar, and sometimes beating all of them outright, such as 2005. I wouldn't be surprised to see this school becoming one of the state's best in the next decade, right up there with UF and FSU. Shit it was just accredited 4 years ago.

Also I just visited there. The Facilities are far superior than the state schools; pretty much the best and newest that I have seen. Right on the water.
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Re: FC is better than at first glance

Post by flhealth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:38 am

mk1soccer wrote:This is what I have heard about FC in the firm that I intern for in Tallahassee. Basically they are a for profit law school, which means they have high interest in producing successful attorneys for prestige and donations. Hence instead of focusing and getting so involved in the world of academia, such as most other law professors at most other law schools, they focus on preparing you for being the best attorney possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Cupidity

Gold

Re:

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:42 am

govchs wrote:They sent me a bunch of flyers telling me that they'd pay $500 of my costs if I come down to Florida (from PA) to visit. I was tempted until I researched their statistics, which weren't that impressive.

I thought about going down there anyway even though I wasn't really going to apply (hell, just to go to the beach and get some sun), but I felt bad for them. Think about it: if they have to bribe people to come to sunny Florida, they're pretty sad already.

I'm not talking about philosophy, just that I didn't feel it was right.

Oh well, that's all I have to say about this school.
Dude, St. Augustine is only 30 minutes south, do it! Free trip to get out of the snow.

karmicgruve

New

Post by karmicgruve » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:46 pm

flhealth wrote:
mk1soccer wrote:This is what I have heard about FC in the firm that I intern for in Tallahassee. Basically they are a for profit law school, which means they have high interest in producing successful attorneys for prestige and donations. Hence instead of focusing and getting so involved in the world of academia, such as most other law professors at most other law schools, they focus on preparing you for being the best attorney possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

This guy isn't bullshitting. I bombed the lsat with a 154 and have a meager 2.84 gpa. I ust got an email inviting me to discuss with their dean or admissions director a 12k/year scholly they want to offer me.

hell i have family in Florida and I would only come out with about 50-60k in debt. Tempting

ChrisC

New

Post by ChrisC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Florida Coastal represents everything wrong with the direction the legal field is heading in. It represents the recklessness with which the ABA accredits and approves schools and the disregard it has for the integrity of the profession. It does, however, further this new and exciting trend of enabling anyone with a 2.5 GPA and a 25th percentile LSAT to become at attorney. Remember when your kindergarten teacher told you "everyone's a winner?" Well, the ABA is making good on that promise.

/Rant

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jay115

Bronze

Re: FC is better than at first glance

Post by jay115 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm sure florida costal will surpass UF as the state's premier law school. The "for-profit" status, I think, doesn't really lend itself to making the best attys possible, but rather milking all the money possible from your enrolled student body.

karmicgruve

New

Post by karmicgruve » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:46 pm

ChrisC wrote:Florida Coastal represents everything wrong with the direction the legal field is heading in. It represents the recklessness with which the ABA accredits and approves schools and the disregard it has for the integrity of the profession. It does, however, further this new and exciting trend of enabling anyone with a 2.5 GPA and a 25th percentile LSAT to become at attorney. Remember when your kindergarten teacher told you "everyone's a winner?" Well, the ABA is making good on that promise.

/Rant
Okay FCL asside, LSAT scores and GPA don't guarantee success in law school and success in law school doesn't guarantee success as an attorney. You can be a book smart genius and graduate with honors but if you have no personality and zero interpersonal skills, you're not going to impress anyone in the real world. I have friends with learning disablities that went on to successful legal practices despit shitty grades and way subpar lsat scores. They simply knew how to network, worked diligently to market themsleves and worked at ways to counter the effects their dixlexia and ADHD had on their focus and concentration. Truth be told I've had conversations with 170+ lsat 4.0 "geniuses" that were painful to my ears.

I had a low gpa because of financial hardships in my first two years. I paid the rent and put food on the table for my family. You can't even begin to imagine how tough it can be to even stay awake and crack open a texy book when you just finished a 10 hour shift. I dropped out and went back and pulled all A's and a B when i returned to complete my 25 remaining classes. SO despite a 2.84 GPA I had a near 4.0 when i returned. THAT is far more indicative of my true potential to earn good marks in school. I find it insulting for you to insinuate that people with low GPAS are not entitled to gain admittance to LAw School. I'm sure there are some 25th percentile GPA students out there that would fuck you up in court. I remember from Kindergarten that we should never judge a book by its cover..........

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:48 pm

ChrisC wrote:Florida Coastal represents everything wrong with the direction the legal field is heading in. It represents the recklessness with which the ABA accredits and approves schools and the disregard it has for the integrity of the profession. It does, however, further this new and exciting trend of enabling anyone with a 2.5 GPA and a 25th percentile LSAT to become at attorney. Remember when your kindergarten teacher told you "everyone's a winner?" Well, the ABA is making good on that promise.

/Rant
Plus a million.

UnderwearModel

New

Post by UnderwearModel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:49 pm

interesting debate

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChrisC

New

Post by ChrisC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:27 pm

karmicgruve wrote:

/Rant
Okay FCL asside, LSAT scores and GPA don't guarantee success in law school and success in law school doesn't guarantee success as an attorney. You can be a book smart genius and graduate with honors but if you have no personality and zero interpersonal skills, you're not going to impress anyone in the real world. I have friends with learning disablities that went on to successful legal practices despit shitty grades and way subpar lsat scores. They simply knew how to network, worked diligently to market themsleves and worked at ways to counter the effects their dixlexia and ADHD had on their focus and concentration. Truth be told I've had conversations with 170+ lsat 4.0 "geniuses" that were painful to my ears.

I had a low gpa because of financial hardships in my first two years. I paid the rent and put food on the table for my family. You can't even begin to imagine how tough it can be to even stay awake and crack open a texy book when you just finished a 10 hour shift. I dropped out and went back and pulled all A's and a B when i returned to complete my 25 remaining classes. SO despite a 2.84 GPA I had a near 4.0 when i returned. THAT is far more indicative of my true potential to earn good marks in school. I find it insulting for you to insinuate that people with low GPAS are not entitled to gain admittance to LAw School. I'm sure there are some 25th percentile GPA students out there that would fuck you up in court. I remember from Kindergarten that we should never judge a book by its cover..........

I love when I hit a nerve :)

I think you let your emotional tirade get in the way of understanding what I wrote. I'm not insinuating that someone is not smart or capable because they have low a low LSAT or GPA. I never said the LSAT was a great predictor of law school success.

I'm saying the legal market is saturated. We're already creating more lawyers than there are jobs. The AMA does a great job, arguably too great, of keeping the supply of doctors balanced with demand in a way that ensures employment and a fruitful career. The ABA should take a hint.

The LSAT isn't a great predictor of law school success, nor is your GPA; but in this world we have to use SOMETHING. Reality may be harsh, but if one's GPA *and* LSAT are both very low, perhaps they should consider other options. A doctor with a 24 MCAT score and a 2.6 GPA isn't getting in to medical school.

Or, we can just let everyone in to law school because everyone should have a shot. I'll see you on the unemployment line.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:41 pm

ChrisC wrote:I love when I hit a nerve :)

I think you let your emotional tirade get in the way of understanding what I wrote. I'm not insinuating that someone is not smart or capable because they have low a low LSAT or GPA. I never said the LSAT was a great predictor of law school success.

I'm saying the legal market is saturated. We're already creating more lawyers than there are jobs. The AMA does a great job, arguably too great, of keeping the supply of doctors balanced with demand in a way that ensures employment and a fruitful career. The ABA should take a hint.

The LSAT isn't a great predictor of law school success, nor is your GPA; but in this world we have to use SOMETHING. Reality may be harsh, but if one's GPA *and* LSAT are both very low, perhaps they should consider other options. A doctor with a 24 MCAT score and a 2.6 GPA isn't getting in to medical school.

Or, we can just let everyone in to law school because everyone should have a shot. I'll see you on the unemployment line.
I see what you are getting at, but if someone choses to study law why should they be displaced by a system that many of view as flawed. Perhaps the ABA realizes that without schools such as FCSL we could potentially be restricting a large pool of talent from practicing simply b/c they had a bad semester or performed poorly on a 5 hour exam. I do not argue against the notion that there are too many law schools, but perhaps the risk of alienating bright law students with lackluster gpa's/lsat's does not outweigh the reward of limiting law schools to 15 or 20.

ace0260

New

Post by ace0260 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:52 pm

this whole florida coastal has the highest bar passage rate in florida thing is flat out bullshit right? though high for a t4, i have never seen it higher than uf or fsu. pretty impressive how this myth spread around ne fla.

karmicgruve

New

Post by karmicgruve » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:01 pm

ChrisC wrote:
karmicgruve wrote:

/Rant

I love when I hit a nerve :)

look i agree that the ABA is accrediting shitty factory cookie cutter schools, but i just think people should have options. grads in unemployment lines is incidental. it was their coice to study law and like in any other industry there is competition. but there are so many options for wannabe attorneys. hell if you have an entrepreneural spirit, start your own practice. i was just offended by the pot shot you took against low scoring individuals. and fyi med student and law students= apples and oranges. sorry for the typos i am on my crackberry mobile phone

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

magicman

New

Post by magicman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 pm

karmicgruve wrote:

/Rant

Your scenario is the exception, not the rule. I would venture to say that most students with C averages (at least in college) didn't get them for any other reason than that they were mediocre students. Granted, I agree that the an LSAT score might not be very indicative of a students ability, but judging a students ability based on their four year body of work as it is reflected in their GPA is hardly judging a book by its cover. A low test score is understandable, it's a one shot deal, and there are plenty of reasons a perfectly smart person might underperform. But a low GPA in most cases would indicate that a person consistently underperfomed. Also, you must've done absolutely fucking horrible your first 2 years to complete 75 credits of an undergraduate program with a near 4.0 and still only end with a 2.84. How the hell did they even let you back for a second year after a first year that must've been an abysmal failure? Yeah, working your way through school is hard, but you're not the only one that's ever had to do it. As someone who has, I can tell you working and maintaining a high GPA is doable, if you don't have your head up your ass. If you can't find it in you to get a cup of coffee and open a textbook after a long shift, there's this thing called student loans, you can use them in lieu of working. If you don't want to carry the debt load like everyone else in this country, then go work on an assembly line.

WizardryPerson

New

Post by WizardryPerson » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:56 pm

magicman wrote:
karmicgruve wrote:

/Rant

Your scenario is the exception, not the rule. I would venture to say that most students with C averages (at least in college) didn't get them for any other reason than that they were mediocre students. Granted, I agree that the an LSAT score might not be very indicative of a students ability, but judging a students ability based on their four year body of work as it is reflected in their GPA is hardly judging a book by its cover. A low test score is understandable, it's a one shot deal, and there are plenty of reasons a perfectly smart person might underperform. But a low GPA in most cases would indicate that a person consistently underperfomed. Also, you must've done absolutely fucking horrible your first 2 years to complete 75 credits of an undergraduate program with a near 4.0 and still only end with a 2.84. How the hell did they even let you back for a second year after a first year that must've been an abysmal failure? Yeah, working your way through school is hard, but you're not the only one that's ever had to do it. As someone who has, I can tell you working and maintaining a high GPA is doable, if you don't have your head up your ass. If you can't find it in you to get a cup of coffee and open a textbook after a long shift, there's this thing called student loans, you can use them in lieu of working. If you don't want to carry the debt load like everyone else in this country, then go work on an assembly line.
I agree, lets face it, that jackass is to dumb for law school. Since we have these shitty schools that cater to douchebags who don't deserve to be in law school, its thinning out employment for the rest of us when we graduate. Not only is the ts not cut out for law, I hope that his family who he had to support through his undergrad career dies in a fire.

eric_mathew15

New

Post by eric_mathew15 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:44 am

It has bad reputation of taking money and do not give you anything in return, so keep away.

Textbooks For Sale

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:44 am

23.7% attrition rate

23.7% attrition rate

also looking at this graph from when the economy wasn't in the toilet:
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf
On page 9, you'll see more of of the class was either attrition, unemployed, or transferred (40%) than were working in law firms (30%).

I do not advise this college

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tigerlilly17

New

Post by tigerlilly17 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:28 am

Just got an e-mail with this information:

Headline: Jacksonville law students gain national respect in courtroom competitions
Florida Coastal School of Law beats Harvard in moot court contest

It might have seemed like they were punching above their weight.

In one corner, the scrappy underdog — Florida Coastal School of Law.

In the other, the dominant heavyweight — Harvard Law School.

When it comes to national moot court competitions, the Ivy League powerhouse boasts millions more in endowments and far more experience than the Jacksonville upstart.

And last week’s tournament was even on Harvard’s storied turf.

That made the upset even sweeter.

“It was a rush walking into their home and bringing back a victory,” said Joseph Grant, one of Florida Coastal’s winning team members.

“Going up against a program with that kind of history is intimidating. But we’d rather test ourselves against the best of the best.”

The Jacksonville school had to earn respect. Even though the size of the team has doubled in recent years, the school has only been open since 1994 and has been competing in faux-courtroom contests for a little over a decade.

But the victory was no fluke. Florida Coastal’s moot court honor board, which has about 60 members who write briefs and deliver oral arguments, is now ranked as one of the nation’s top four programs.

They’ve racked up one victory and five finals appearances in nine competitions so far this scholastic year, with about eight more to go.

The next competition is Thursday at UCLA. The usual setup is that a team is given a topic and told to analyze each side of the issue. The student lawyers aren’t told which viewpoint they’ll support until a coin toss.

“This is our football team,” Florida Coastal spokesman Brooks Terry said. “Only the best compete, and we seem to get better every year.”

The school sent two teams to Harvard for an animal law competition that placed teams on either side of a theoretical argument about keeping a herd of wild horses on an occupied range.

Kelci Paiva’s group didn’t advance as far as Grant’s, but she said the experience was valuable even if she didn’t receive any accolades.

Paiva watched her peers in the winning group beat team after team, each time advancing to another courtroom with different judges.

During the final round, she stared in awe at a courtroom that had been occupied by generations of prominent lawyers. Paintings on the wall were older than all of the team members put together.

“You could feel the weight of tradition in that room,” she said.

Jeremy Paul and Jessica Davis will represent Florida Coastal at the UCLA tournament. They’ve been paired up before, so they know each other’s cues and work well together under pressure.

Paul declined to divulge their game plan for fear of tipping off the competition. But he said he’s operating with only one goal in mind.

“This is Jessica’s last competition, so I want to send her out with a win,” Paul said.

Candace Weeks, president of the moot court board, said the team, made up of second- and third-year students, seems to have a different look every year.

Tryouts are held toward the end of the semester — right around when final exams are scheduled.

“We call that Hell Week,” Weeks said. “It definitely weeds out a few prospects because it’s so hectic.”

About 10 percent of those who try out are selected. The honor board typically hand-picks two to four members to send to each competition.

The moot court practice helps sharpen the students’ brief-writing skills and hones their ability to argue and think on their feet, Weeks said.

“It’s not just fun and games, and it’s not just a sport,” she said. “This is how you get progressively better at your craft. … Once you’re done with this, you’re a better lawyer.”

KD 03

New

Post by KD 03 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Those who want to look at moot court success as an indicator of how good a law school is deserve to go to a school like FGC. The attrition rate alone should raise a question or two. If you really want to base a school on something besides numbers read up on their law journals and law reviews. The fact that the Harvard law review is mentioned in nearly half of my legal search results to FGC's 0 means something. FGC is in a long line of terrible schools in the state that need to be shut down.

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:09 pm

I've been getting messages from their school about promised scholarships and I recently was told that I am pre-qualified...? Anything similar?

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey Everyone,

Here is a sample message: "I hope you are still considering applying to Florida Coastal. Since you have been pre-qualified for admission and a $10,000 scholarship, you only need to submit an application. Please reply to this email or give me a call at (904) 680-7711 for us to talk more about this opportunity.
In order to know more about Florida Coastal, follow us on the social sites below (click on the name of the site to visit)." - Steve

I received my messages on: 12/29, 1/29, 2/10, 2/17, and two on 2/24. Does anybody have schools that are doing the same thing? Has anybody called Steve back?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”