Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
politicaljungle

New

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by politicaljungle » Thu May 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Auxilio wrote:You can usually find a decent priced used one on amazon or similar, then can resell it again (I use amazon).

Try to be fast to make sure it gets to you on time and you get one of the cheaper ones.

Don't buy that LPS book, it's useless.
Thanks! What's the LPS book?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu May 19, 2016 7:35 pm

politicaljungle wrote:
Auxilio wrote:You can usually find a decent priced used one on amazon or similar, then can resell it again (I use amazon).

Try to be fast to make sure it gets to you on time and you get one of the cheaper ones.

Don't buy that LPS book, it's useless.
Thanks! What's the LPS book?
A lawyer writes or something, I followed someone on here telling not to buy it and felt like I missed nothing. Others agreed with me after they had thrown the money away.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu May 19, 2016 10:26 pm

The LPS book is a collection of all the powerpoints you will have distributed to you in LPS, but for $80 or something.

politicaljungle

New

Post by politicaljungle » Thu May 19, 2016 10:46 pm

ymmv wrote:The LPS book is a collection of all the powerpoints you will have distributed to you in LPS, but for $80 or something.
Damn ok, thanks for the heads up!

When's the best time to start looking for housing?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu May 19, 2016 11:20 pm

politicaljungle wrote:
ymmv wrote:The LPS book is a collection of all the powerpoints you will have distributed to you in LPS, but for $80 or something.
Damn ok, thanks for the heads up!

When's the best time to start looking for housing?
If you want an apartment then now basically (usually they have to give 60 days notice). If not then start looking around now but no rush.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Ok, so now that I finally got my last grade back and it is a bit too early to start worrying about jobs, journal will have to be the nervous bone I gnaw at in my head. Does anyone know roughly when Penn's journals get released?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Hey, has anyone taken Corporations (or a related class) with Edward Rock? He's visiting NYU this fall and I'm wondering what he's like.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Hey, has anyone taken Corporations (or a related class) with Edward Rock? He's visiting NYU this fall and I'm wondering what he's like.
I absolutely adore Ed Rock and wholeheartedly recommend you take anything he's teaching

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:25 pm

Clearly wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Hey, has anyone taken Corporations (or a related class) with Edward Rock? He's visiting NYU this fall and I'm wondering what he's like.
I absolutely adore Ed Rock and wholeheartedly recommend you take anything he's teaching
Great to hear!!! Does Penn have any outlines for his Corporations class?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Great to hear!!! Does Penn have any outlines for his Corporations class?
He hasn't taught corporations in a while at Penn. I have his outlines for M&A though. I'll try to track down when he taught corps and see what I can dig up for you. Pm me

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Clearly wrote:

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:14 am

Suggestions on easy classes for 3Ls?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:28 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:Suggestions on easy classes for 3Ls?
depends on your style, really. I signed up for what most would consider "hard" classes but they were the largest classes with hordes of good, past outlines

Fed Courts, Admin, Evidence, Criminal Procedure...sure they're classes with real exams at the end but all it really takes is (i) studying a couple good outlines for a couple days and (ii) ripping off the bandaid with a 3 hour test

Too many people end up taking "easy" seminars but then you're stuck having to write a goddamn paper for shit you don't care about

In the big classes you can also be entirely ignored and surf the internet at your leisure

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:50 am

PennBull wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:Suggestions on easy classes for 3Ls?
depends on your style, really. I signed up for what most would consider "hard" classes but they were the largest classes with hordes of good, past outlines

Fed Courts, Admin, Evidence, Criminal Procedure...sure they're classes with real exams at the end but all it really takes is (i) studying a couple good outlines for a couple days and (ii) ripping off the bandaid with a 3 hour test

Too many people end up taking "easy" seminars but then you're stuck having to write a goddamn paper for shit you don't care about

In the big classes you can also be entirely ignored and surf the internet at your leisure
100% with you. I'll never seminar again. You have to actually go, then you have to write some nonsense. I'd rather stay home and cram for a final

jjking

New

Post by jjking » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Rising 2L here...what are the classes I absolutely should take for the NY bar?

So far have:
Evidence
Corporations

Is not taking Tax and Property a bad life decision (lit-focused)?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:54 am

jjking wrote:Rising 2L here...what are the classes I absolutely should take for the NY bar?

So far have:
Evidence
Corporations

You don't HAVE to take anything. Bar exam materials give you everything you need. Do whatever makes your schedule and you happiest

hunt godlink

Bronze

Post by hunt godlink » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:15 am

Last edited by hunt godlink on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 pm

PennBull wrote:
jjking wrote:Rising 2L here...what are the classes I absolutely should take for the NY bar?

So far have:
Evidence
Corporations

You don't HAVE to take anything. Bar exam materials give you everything you need. Do whatever makes your schedule and you happiest
Very true, but I'm glad I took Property. It's such a massive subject and I would have been even more stressed and lost without the earlier exposure I had to it. Still, you'll be fine without it.

scandk

Bronze

Post by scandk » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 am

soon-to-be 1L here, does anyone know if it's possible to take undergraduate classes at Penn (language classes)? If so, how?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:53 am

scandk wrote:soon-to-be 1L here, does anyone know if it's possible to take undergraduate classes at Penn (language classes)? If so, how?

https://www.law.upenn.edu/registrar/cou ... school.php

"The Law School does not grant credit for introductory language study, but will consider petitions for intermediate or advance language courses."

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 am

So far have:
Evidence
Corporations

I know it's too late, but add drop is a magical thing. I wouldn't worry about property, Parcho teaching property is a godsend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:43 am

scandk wrote:soon-to-be 1L here, does anyone know if it's possible to take undergraduate classes at Penn (language classes)? If so, how?
Many classes at Penn are dual listed UG/G. I am sure if you want to take a non-intro class you can get around that by making an individual proposal.

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:13 pm

Anyone have an outline for Fisch's corporations class that they would be willing to share with me?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:43 pm

fra wrote:Anyone have an outline for Fisch's corporations class that they would be willing to share with me?
Bahaha have fun with that one. I'll pm you tomorrow and send you every outline ever.

Iustis

New

Post by Iustis » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Can anyone speak to roughly what GPA (I assume it changes every year) is required for the Barenkopf Scholarship? Or at least how much it is for? The description on the site is pretty useless.

I'm trying to find motivation to put effort into this year and if a good chunk of money is in reach that will do it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”