Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lim

New

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by lim » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:28 pm

I'm also in section 3 (Baker, Gelbach, Galbraith), so if there are any great insights anyone has, I wouldn't say no to a pm :)

Thanks again for all the answers in this thread, and, more specifically, with regards helping me make my choice a few months back.

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Hey upperclassmen,

I'm a 2L looking to round out a tough schedule (I'm taking Fisch for corporations) with some easy classes. Any suggestions?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:33 pm

0heL wrote:Hey upperclassmen,

I'm a 2L looking to round out a tough schedule (I'm taking Fisch for corporations) with some easy classes. Any suggestions?
Assuming biglaw, remove all tough classes and only take easy ones?

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Which are the easy ones?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:26 pm

PennBull wrote:
0heL wrote:Hey upperclassmen,

Assuming biglaw, remove all tough classes and only take easy ones?
Amen brother...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tigersaresexy

Bronze

Post by tigersaresexy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Anyone who took Bratton for corp have a supplement recommendation? That class is just the worst and I'd like to stop going if that's possible

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:37 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:Anyone who took Bratton for corp have a supplement recommendation? That class is just the worst and I'd like to stop going if that's possible
should be plenty of old outlines available and I found the E&E helpful. Also study the old exams. Good enough for a B+ at least.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:12 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:Anyone who took Bratton for corp have a supplement recommendation? That class is just the worst and I'd like to stop going if that's possible
Dude add drop...

tigersaresexy

Bronze

Post by tigersaresexy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 am

Clearly wrote:
Dude add drop...
No I'm too lazy to actually make major changes to my schedule

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:40 am

so what's the deal with Bratton? how do you do well in his class?

NoChainz

Bronze

Post by NoChainz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:39 pm

BangShootBang wrote:
Clearly wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:Any opinions on Amy Wax for CivPro?
Haha oh you'll get opinions
Care to go into more detail....
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... rocreation

http://www.middbeat.org/2013/11/21/toda ... d-parents/

http://middleburycampus.com/article/wax ... ntroversy/

T-forteenager

New

Post by T-forteenager » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Firms Still Hiring:

Weil Gotshal - NY
Kirkland - Chicago
Schiff Hardin - Chicago
DLA Piper - Silicon Valley
mcguirewoods - Chicago
Morgan Lewis Bockius - Miami
Potter Anderson - Delaware
Young Conway - Delaware
Morris Nichols - Delaware
K&L Gates - Chicago (and probably Pittsburgh)
Clifford Chance - London

...And honestly probably Greenberg Traurig - Miami too. They do callbacks really late.

sosofla

New

Post by sosofla » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:16 pm

How is the final for Brotman's Accounting class? What is he looking for in it? Can't really seem to get into the class...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Hey, haven't posted ITT (or on this site, really) in a while! :D
Anyway, if any potential/current students have any questions for a recent grad (and now member of the PA bar) I'll feel free to answer them.
Quick background on myself, I struck out back during OCI but am going to be starting a PI/government job really soon that I'm extremely excited about (well, assuming PSLF+TolLRAP actually works out for me haha). So I think I definitely have a different perspective on things than a lot of Penn students, since I didn't end up going the biglaw route. Feel free to PM me whatever as well.

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:22 am

I'm a 3L and looking to spend significant portions of my last semester away from Penn.

Does anyone know of any classes for Spring semester where the professor does not care at all about attendance? Where I could theoretically just show and take the final. I was thinking maybe some of the 1L electives?

If anyone could suggest me any classes you've taken that fit this bill, I would really appreciate it.

Some classes that I felt might work, if anyone could confirm/deny on these?
Corporations w/ Hoffman
Federal Income tax w/ Shuldiner
Admin w/ Zaring
International Law w/ DeLisle
Property w/ Balganesh
Antitrust w/ Langer
Legislation w/ Gelbach
Trusts & Estates w/ Wilkinson-Ryan
Family Law w/ Mayeri

Open to literally anything, so thank you.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:37 am

have you already taken copyright, trademark, and the bootcamps? or if you haven't taken the wharton cert its now a 5 day all day bootcamp before the next semester. All of those options range from a few intense days to 5 week classes, although I don't know whats offered when.

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:41 am

Clearly wrote:have you already taken copyright, trademark, and the bootcamps? or if you haven't taken the wharton cert its now a 5 day all day bootcamp before the next semester. All of those options range from a few intense days to 5 week classes, although I don't know whats offered when.
Good thought on the bootcamps! Unfortunately I doubt I can get into one now having missed registration =\ I took Wharton already and Parchemovsky isn't gonna be at Penn this semester, so no Copyright/TM.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:50 am

wildcatatpenn wrote:
Clearly wrote:have you already taken copyright, trademark, and the bootcamps? or if you haven't taken the wharton cert its now a 5 day all day bootcamp before the next semester. All of those options range from a few intense days to 5 week classes, although I don't know whats offered when.
Good thought on the bootcamps! Unfortunately I doubt I can get into one now having missed registration =\ I took Wharton already and Parchemovsky isn't gonna be at Penn this semester, so no Copyright/TM.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Ah damn, tough break. Sorry!

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:47 pm

NoChainz wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:
Clearly wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:Any opinions on Amy Wax for CivPro?
Haha oh you'll get opinions
Care to go into more detail....
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... rocreation

http://www.middbeat.org/2013/11/21/toda ... d-parents/

http://middleburycampus.com/article/wax ... ntroversy/
Yeesh.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Does Penn allow students from other schools to use/check out books from their library? (I am talking about the undergrad library).

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:02 pm

Manali wrote:Does Penn allow students from other schools to use/check out books from their library? (I am talking about the undergrad library).
Yes

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bbbrian

New

Post by Bbbrian » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:52 pm

I have a random question that I know there isn't a perfect answer for, but I was wondering about how generous the law school is with handing out need-based grants? I know you have to complete a FAFSA and Need Access application, but assuming my FAFSA gives me a 0 EFC and Need Access form is filled out by a single mother, on disability, with no other income and little savings, how much NEED BASED fin aid could someone expect?

I'm assuming the higher need based grants for the most in-need students is around 15k/year, but before I apply ED with the understanding that I won't receive any merit based scholarship, I'm trying to get the best measure of the likelihood that I could get offered some type of need based grant. Even 5k a year would be helpful. Any personal experience with need-based aid from Penn Law would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:02 pm

Bbbrian wrote:I have a random question that I know there isn't a perfect answer for, but I was wondering about how generous the law school is with handing out need-based grants? I know you have to complete a FAFSA and Need Access application, but assuming my FAFSA gives me a 0 EFC and Need Access form is filled out by a single mother, on disability, with no other income and little savings, how much NEED BASED fin aid could someone expect?

I'm assuming the higher need based grants for the most in-need students is around 15k/year, but before I apply ED with the understanding that I won't receive any merit based scholarship, I'm trying to get the best measure of the likelihood that I could get offered some type of need based grant. Even 5k a year would be helpful. Any personal experience with need-based aid from Penn Law would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I only got need based aid by negotiating with offers from other schools (which makes the need-based part a little suspect). I don't recommend applying ED. While I'm sure its possible to get a need based grant, you should assume you would get nothing if you're going ED.

Bbbrian

New

Post by Bbbrian » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:28 am

Clemenceau wrote:
Bbbrian wrote:I have a random question that I know there isn't a perfect answer for, but I was wondering about how generous the law school is with handing out need-based grants? I know you have to complete a FAFSA and Need Access application, but assuming my FAFSA gives me a 0 EFC and Need Access form is filled out by a single mother, on disability, with no other income and little savings, how much NEED BASED fin aid could someone expect?

I only got need based aid by negotiating with offers from other schools (which makes the need-based part a little suspect). I don't recommend applying ED. While I'm sure its possible to get a need based grant, you should assume you would get nothing if you're going ED.
Can I ask how much you received for need based aid?

rndm2

New

Post by rndm2 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:42 am

Has anyone had Chang for any course or know anything about him even 2nd hand (please PM me)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”