Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ymmv

Diamond

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by ymmv » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:10 pm

DCNTUA wrote:Hello again,

Does anyone know if there are major differences between the four-credit Corporations classes in the fall versus the three-credit Corporations class in the spring? I assume it covers less material, but any insight would be great. Also, these are the professors, if anyone wants to weigh in:

Bratton
Fisch
Paredes (three credit)
Skeel
Some people believe the 3-credit course is just as much work, but since no one's taken both who knows.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Skeel is awesome and the most recommended

Bratton is funny and smart but is difficult to follow at times

Fisch is clear and an excellent teacher but you will not have fun at all

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Bratton is entertaining, but Skeel is widely regarded as a great lecturer. Also the main (maybe only) difference between a 3 and 4 credit class is how many class hours per week there are. You'll still have to take an exam either way. The amount covered in most 3 credit classes is usually almost as much/as much as a 4 credit class so the 4th credit is usually a freebie (at least in terms of the amount of shit you have to learn for the exam) assuming you don't mind going to more classes and/or don't go to class that much in general.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm

SKEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL

Also, apparently most of the LLMs take Corps with Fisch, so although the class itself is hard it has a reputation for having an easier curve (I didn't take it with her, so can neither confirm nor deny this).

Penn16

New

Post by Penn16 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 pm

No13baby wrote:SKEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL

Also, apparently most of the LLMs take Corps with Fisch, so although the class itself is hard it has a reputation for having an easier curve (I didn't take it with her, so can neither confirm nor deny this).
I'll just jump in here since I took Fisch for Corps last fall. She is tough but clear, and you will learn a lot. And yes, she picks on the LLMs all the time in cold-calling and I'm convinced their presence helped me with the curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:14 pm

I think corporations is just a class a lot of LLMs take. I didn't have Fisch but my class was at least 1/4 LLMs.

DCNTUA

Bronze

Post by DCNTUA » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for all the helpful tips. It's nice to hear from people who have had these professors.

How do people feel about Robinson? He is teaching an Advanced Criminal Law class that seems cool, but I hear he likes to drop Cs on people.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:55 am

DCNTUA wrote:Thanks for all the helpful tips. It's nice to hear from people who have had these professors.

How do people feel about Robinson? He is teaching an Advanced Criminal Law class that seems cool, but I hear he likes to drop Cs on people.
Do something more fun with your life

New

Post by 1880 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi, excited to be an incoming 1L in a few weeks!
I've looked back through this thread a decent amount, so apologies if this has already been asked, but I'd love to hear from somebody that's taken language courses while at penn, if anyone here has any experience with that.

Was pretty excited about the whole cross-disciplinary thing at first, but tbh it sounds a little limiting (though I'm a bit biased. At my UG there were no restrictions about classes taken between schools whatsoever). Right, languages. I want to keep up with learning Mandarin if at all possible, but I haven't really heard anyone talk about those few outside penn law credits being used towards languages...
Couldn't fit it in my schedule as a senior UG, took a year off, now afraid if I stay away for too long I'll lose it completely and I'd love to have it on my resume and, uh, not be completely lying. I know 1L obviously this is not a thing but 3L at the very least?
Any comments in general about the quality of language instruction? Speaking specifically to the Mandarin program +1, though pretty sure that's too much to hope for. TYIA!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:16 pm

1880 wrote:Hi, excited to be an incoming 1L in a few weeks!
I've looked back through this thread a decent amount, so apologies if this has already been asked, but I'd love to hear from somebody that's taken language courses while at penn, if anyone here has any experience with that.

Was pretty excited about the whole cross-disciplinary thing at first, but tbh it sounds a little limiting (though I'm a bit biased. At my UG there were no restrictions about classes taken between schools whatsoever). Right, languages. I want to keep up with learning Mandarin if at all possible, but I haven't really heard anyone talk about those few outside penn law credits being used towards languages...
Couldn't fit it in my schedule as a senior UG, took a year off, now afraid if I stay away for too long I'll lose it completely and I'd love to have it on my resume and, uh, not be completely lying. I know 1L obviously this is not a thing but 3L at the very least?
Any comments in general about the quality of language instruction? Speaking specifically to the Mandarin program +1, though pretty sure that's too much to hope for. TYIA!
You can slot it into 2L/3L but it comes out of your cocurricular credits that you may want to use for other things (clinic etc.). They're pretty casual about taking cocurricular classes all you need to do is get permission (from the other department and from the law school) and then work it into your schedule (which can be tough because the other schools use a different schedule). I know someone who took chemistry classes. No info on languages specifically, but Penn's a pretty big university so I'm sure you can find something.

New

Post by 1880 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 pm

Nelson wrote: You can slot it into 2L/3L but it comes out of your cocurricular credits that you may want to use for other things (clinic etc.). They're pretty casual about taking cocurricular classes all you need to do is get permission (from the other department and from the law school) and then work it into your schedule (which can be tough because the other schools use a different schedule). I know someone who took chemistry classes. No info on languages specifically, but Penn's a pretty big university so I'm sure you can find something.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Sounds like it'd just take time away from clinics/maybe getting a certificate, so maybe not.

On a completely different note... I know this probably seems like a silly question, but come exam time are there enough outlets for everyone to stay plugged in the whole time? Just checking because I know a lot of people seem to love their macs and some of them have pretty great battery life, so might not be an issue people consider. I, on the other hand, have a power-hungry thing that really needs to be plugged in the whole time, so...
I'd imagine this isn't an issue for exams, but at my UG there were outlets everywhere and I've come to find this isn't always a thing. How about in every classroom?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:31 pm

1880 wrote: On a completely different note... I know this probably seems like a silly question, but come exam time are there enough outlets for everyone to stay plugged in the whole time? Just checking because I know a lot of people seem to love their macs and some of them have pretty great battery life, so might not be an issue people consider. I, on the other hand, have a power-hungry thing that really needs to be plugged in the whole time, so...
I'd imagine this isn't an issue for exams, but at my UG there were outlets everywhere and I've come to find this isn't always a thing. How about in every classroom?
There's one outlet per seat in all of the classrooms (except maybe a couple of tiny seminar rooms), which are where the exams are. For exams, everyone is plugged in regardless.

New

Post by 1880 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Nelson wrote: There's one outlet per seat in all of the classrooms (except maybe a couple of tiny seminar rooms), which are where the exams are. For exams, everyone is plugged in regardless.
Awesome, sounds good. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:03 am

can anyone talk to the Distressed Dealmaking Course taught by the Kirkland partners?

BangShootBang

New

Post by BangShootBang » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Any opinions on Amy Wax for CivPro?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:24 pm

BangShootBang wrote:Any opinions on Amy Wax for CivPro?

I was talking to a 2L today so described her as a very controversial and driven prof. He didn't go that much into her teaching style etc, just mentioned she was a little infamous for jet views.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Haha oh you'll get opinions

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BangShootBang

New

Post by BangShootBang » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Clearly wrote:
Care to go into more detail....

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:44 pm

BangShootBang wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Care to go into more detail....
I would not. I didn't have her for Civ Pro and so I'll let those who experienced it first hand share their experiences, but she's certainly considered a polarizing professor here.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:45 pm

I would love any opinions etc. on
Baker (Torts)
Gelbach (CivPro)
and Galbraith (contracts)

Thanks

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Auxilio wrote:I would love any opinions etc. on
Baker (Torts)
Gelbach (CivPro)
and Galbraith (contracts)

Thanks
Baker is excellent. A little quirky as an individual, but a great guy and a great professor. PM me and when I get back to philly I'll send you the magic outlines.
Oh. The 24 hour take-home exam is actual torture.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 pm

no one knows anything about distressed dealmaking?

purplepotatopie

New

Post by purplepotatopie » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 am

What a great resource of a thread.

Does anyone 2L or beyond have helpful input on section 1 (Wax for Civil Procedures, Wilkinson-Ryan or Hoffman for Contracts, Feldman for Torts)?

Feel free to PM as well.

Also out of curiosity, how does the legal practice skills class work? What is the difference between the professor part of the class and the 3L part?

And finally, is it okay to get old editions of books where they are a much more reasonable price (i.e. is it a significant disadvantage, and if so, is it surmountable with a little extra work)?

Thanks for any info.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:32 pm

purplepotatopie wrote: Also out of curiosity, how does the legal practice skills class work? What is the difference between the professor part of the class and the 3L part?
The "professor part" is having PowerPoints read aloud to you. It's a colossal waste of time. The "3L part" can be tremendously helpful if you have a good Littleton fellow, as they can give genuinely useful research tips, job app advice, that sort of thing.
purplepotatopie wrote: And finally, is it okay to get old editions of books where they are a much more reasonable price (i.e. is it a significant disadvantage, and if so, is it surmountable with a little extra work)?
Depends on the area of law and how much you mind having to do a little page-flipping in class (which is not a big deal if you aren't a trigger-happy gunner type). I would generally say you can safely use old editions for common law courses that rarely change the cases taught - like Contracts, Torts, Crim, and Property - but you should probably stick with more recent editions for Con Law and Admin.

Also consider renting. And after 1L odds are good you won't need casebooks at all.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:33 pm

ymmv wrote:
purplepotatopie wrote: Also out of curiosity, how does the legal practice skills class work? What is the difference between the professor part of the class and the 3L part?
The "professor part" is having PowerPoints read aloud to you. It's a colossal waste of time. The "3L part" can be tremendously helpful if you have a good Littleton fellow, as they can give genuinely useful research tips, job app advice, that sort of thing.
purplepotatopie wrote: And finally, is it okay to get old editions of books where they are a much more reasonable price (i.e. is it a significant disadvantage, and if so, is it surmountable with a little extra work)?
Depends on the area of law and how much you mind having to do a little page-flipping in class (which is not a big deal if you aren't a trigger-happy gunner type). I would generally say you can safely use old editions for common law courses that rarely change the cases taught - like Contracts, Torts, Crim, and Property - but you should probably stick with more recent editions for Con Law and Admin.

Also consider renting. And after 1L odds are good you won't need casebooks at all.
Not necessary during 1L either so long as you have good outlines.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”