Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PennBull

Diamond

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by PennBull » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Clearly wrote:
kennethparcell wrote:my SO lives in a small city not too far away that's not easily accessible by mass transport but that is easily accessible by car.
Cool, if you Google Philly and parking just make sure you live in an area that has free street parking and you're fine.
Fuck I'd park it somewhere safe and accessible that's reasonably nearby even via public transpo. Like here in NYC I have friends who just park their cars in Queens.

kennethparcell

New

Post by kennethparcell » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:48 pm

PennBull wrote:
Clearly wrote:
kennethparcell wrote:my SO lives in a small city not too far away that's not easily accessible by mass transport but that is easily accessible by car.
Cool, if you Google Philly and parking just make sure you live in an area that has free street parking and you're fine.
Fuck I'd park it somewhere safe and accessible that's reasonably nearby even via public transpo. Like here in NYC I have friends who just park their cars in Queens.
That's a great idea! Thank you!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 pm

PennBull wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Haha when I moved to center city I left my car in west philly and would take the MFL to it if I needed to drive somewhere. Problem was I never needed to drive anywhere so I found myself taking the train just to start it or move it every 2 weeks and I eventually got rid of it.

TheGoat18

New

Post by TheGoat18 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Just to be clear, no one has ever heard of anyone successfully negotiating a scholarship bump with an acceptance to HYS in hand after 1L? I'm here with a pittance of a scholly and I would almost certainly end up in the black if I transferred. I don't want to go, but I don't see how it makes any sense to stay when I can graduate from Harvard or Yale with less debt--assuming I don't fuck up my GPA this semester of course.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:09 pm

Do you guys think Aug 22 is too late to move into Philly? I'm pretty sure orientation/classes start on the 31st, not sure if that's crunching too much :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 pm

slizerd wrote:Do you guys think Aug 22 is too late to move into Philly? I'm pretty sure orientation/classes start on the 31st, not sure if that's crunching too much :/
Sounds like plenty of time to me. Why would you need more than 9 days to move?

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:30 pm

ymmv wrote:
slizerd wrote:Do you guys think Aug 22 is too late to move into Philly? I'm pretty sure orientation/classes start on the 31st, not sure if that's crunching too much :/
I mostly just want the extra time to familiarize myself with the city since I've never lived in a big(ish) city before and am a little intimidated :oops: is 9 days enough for getting books, acclimating to philly, etc?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:14 pm

slizerd wrote:
ymmv wrote:
I mostly just want the extra time to familiarize myself with the city since I've never lived in a big(ish) city before and am a little intimidated :oops: is 9 days enough for getting books, acclimating to philly, etc?
yes; be less intimidated

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 am

How does Penn compare to the local schools (Drexel, Temple, etc.) in PA public interest hiring? (i.e. PD, DA, Legal Aid)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Manali wrote:How does Penn compare to the local schools (Drexel, Temple, etc.) in PA public interest hiring? (i.e. PD, DA, Legal Aid)
I think if you can convince them you want to stay in Philly you will be ahead of the rest easily. I know quite a few people who are doing things like CLS in Philly.

Also to slizerd, while August 22 is in no way too late, I think coming earlier has benefits.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Manali wrote:How does Penn compare to the local schools (Drexel, Temple, etc.) in PA public interest hiring? (i.e. PD, DA, Legal Aid)
Much better.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:01 pm

PennBull wrote:
Much better.
Can you provide stats? Thanks. I transferred from BC to Drexel and I'm just curious about the competition I'm going to face from neighboring schools.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Manali wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Much better.
Can you provide stats? Thanks. I transferred from BC to Drexel and I'm just curious about the competition I'm going to face from neighboring schools.
No. Ask the "Drexel Students Taking Questions" thread for your inquiry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Does anyone have experience or know anyone who lived in the Axis? http://www.universitycityaxis.com/. I'm currently looking at the place but wanted to know if anyone had firsthand experience with the place. Thanks!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:16 pm

penn19 wrote:Does anyone have experience or know anyone who lived in the Axis? http://www.universitycityaxis.com/. I'm currently looking at the place but wanted to know if anyone had firsthand experience with the place. Thanks!
No but the pizza next door is pretty good

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:26 pm

PennBull wrote:
penn19 wrote:Does anyone have experience or know anyone who lived in the Axis? http://www.universitycityaxis.com/. I'm currently looking at the place but wanted to know if anyone had firsthand experience with the place. Thanks!
Well that can only be a plus. Thanks :P Also the 4 min walk to campus.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:31 pm

penn19 wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Well that can only be a plus. Thanks :P Also the 4 min walk to campus.
I'm one of those people who think being too close to campus is a bad thing, but different strokes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:17 am

PennBull wrote:
I take it you haven't been to axis recently :lol: I will say tho that outside of actual pizza their dishes are good and 24/7 is sweet.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Have any of you Penn students done the JD/MCIT program? Looks interesting.

Trying to find out if there's any value in it/what opportunities (if any) it leads to.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:56 am

acr wrote:Have any of you Penn students done the JD/MCIT program? Looks interesting.

Trying to find out if there's any value in it/what opportunities (if any) it leads to.
I'm a firm believer that jd/other thing is blanket dumb if it's not free. People end up using one or the other and wasting money on both, because there aren't really jobs that require both. I've never even heard of that dual degree program so I don't think its popular. Penn students overwhelmingly go to firms, if you want to go to a firm get a jd from Penn. If you want to do some other thing with computers you should prob just get a degree in that without a jd. The only exception I can think of might be if it opens up the patent bar, which I'm skeptical of because it has low credit hours, but l if it did, and you had some yearning to do IP, maybe it'd be a decent play? Even then IP isn't what it used to be apparently.

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:39 am

Does anyone know any Penn students who studied abroad either for a semester or for a year? If so, did any of them do an ad-hoc program (not one of the official study abroad programs organized by Penn)? Any wisdom at all of the value of studying abroad while in law school?

Thanks! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

politicaljungle

New

Post by politicaljungle » Fri May 13, 2016 4:21 pm

penn19 wrote:Does anyone know any Penn students who studied abroad either for a semester or for a year? If so, did any of them do an ad-hoc program (not one of the official study abroad programs organized by Penn)? Any wisdom at all of the value of studying abroad while in law school?

Thanks! :)
Interested in knowing about this, as well!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri May 13, 2016 4:37 pm

I know people who did both and loved it. If you're single, not heavily involved in student orgs, not interested in a 3L externship, have the money to afford living wherever you want to study, and already have a job lined up after graduation, studying abroad sounds pretty great to me.

politicaljungle

New

Post by politicaljungle » Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 pm

I know it's still early but what is the best way to buy/rent textbooks? Is it like undergrad where you can find textbooks for cheap online or do you have to buy them on campus before school starts? #clueless

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu May 19, 2016 7:28 pm

You can usually find a decent priced used one on amazon or similar, then can resell it again (I use amazon).

Try to be fast to make sure it gets to you on time and you get one of the cheaper ones.

Don't buy that LPS book, it's useless.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”