Job prospects- USF vs. UOP Mcgeorge Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chiajuiteng

New

Job prospects- USF vs. UOP Mcgeorge

Post by chiajuiteng » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 am

Hi everyone,

I know the two schools aren't that much different, but I'm wondering which one gives me a "slightly" better job prospect. I'm opne to both SF and Sacramento.
I'm not a US citizen, and I hope to work in the US for a couple of years before returning to my country. So, as a non-US citizen, which school among to the two is the better one for me. Thank you guys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D Which one will give me a "easier" time looking for jobs?? :?:

jetlagz28

Bronze

Re: Job prospects- USF vs. UOP Mcgeorge

Post by jetlagz28 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:27 am

Which one is better you mean?

Rankings wise they are bound to teeter tot for some time.

Name Recognition? USF would sound good overseas, but so would UOP.

In this case, money and cost of living should be your top priorities.

last00

New

Post by last00 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:59 am

I think USF is better than Mcgeorge given your situation. I heard Mcgeorge grad have many chances to get employement in govenment agency due to shool's location, which is capitol of CA. But, foreign students cannot enjoy this merit, since it is extremely difficult for foreign students to get a govenment job. For example, non-US citizen can not be a foreign district attoreny. Also, I heard that Mcgeorge grad suffered from finding jobs in private sector becuase there are only small private law firms in Sacramento. Moreover, most small firm cannot afford fees for visa sponsor of foreign lawyers.

On the other hands, there are quite many biglaws in SF, although USF grad should compete with better prestigious law schools of Bay areas. Also, given that many foreigners from diverse countries lives in SF, some law firms of this area may want to hire some foreign lawyers.

In light of above mentioned, as far as you maintain top 10% grade, you can grab better chances to practice law in USF than Mcgeorge.

P.S - if you get admissions from NYC or NJ schools near NYC, go there. Notwithstanding worse economy of NYC market, as for foreigners, NYC is still the best place to get chances to practice law.
Last edited by last00 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

chiajuiteng

New

Post by chiajuiteng » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:35 am

Thank you very much last00. Your opinoin is very honest and realistic. And by saying "better," I mean a relatively easier time landing a job. Because of the fact that I'm not a citizen, looking for job will be harder. I already put down deposit on McGeorge, but now I'm more prone to USF. Good luck to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”