WUSTL Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hwmyones

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Students Taking Questions

Post by hwmyones » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:51 pm

ksp405 wrote:For budgeting purposes, which books will I absolutely HAVE to buy before class starts because of reading assignments? Can I expect to only need to get the casebooks beforehand, or anything like that?
You're not required to buy anything except casebooks. And you probably won't have any reading assignments out of them before class starts, usually just the intro to the book.

guypal

New

Post by guypal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:29 am

hwmyones,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions. Your posts have been extremely informative.
This might have been brought up before, but is the law school exclusively PC/Windows friendly? From what I've gathered on the Admitted students website, WUSTL highly recommends PCs over Macs, but would you say that people keep their Macbooks and simply install some Windows add-ons?

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:50 pm

guypal wrote:hwmyones,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions. Your posts have been extremely informative.
This might have been brought up before, but is the law school exclusively PC/Windows friendly? From what I've gathered on the Admitted students website, WUSTL highly recommends PCs over Macs, but would you say that people keep their Macbooks and simply install some Windows add-ons?
I'm not sure what the website says, but the people who are deadseat on having Macs, and there are plenty of them, all get along just fine. You have to install some sort of Windows emulator for examsoft for finals, but that's about it.

LSBound2012

New

Post by LSBound2012 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Thought this would be a great place to get info on housing.

Perhaps this has been discussed before but has anyone got an idea of where a good amount of 1Ls live? It seems like people are spread out all over the place. I had a chance to visit and saw the West End City apartments(Senate, Congress, Westmoreland). Though I have been advised to avoid these apartments given negative experiences of current students, it also seems pretty accessible to the law school, along the Gold Line on the shuttle, and also has a fair amount law students there.

Does anyone have any suggesstions/thoughts/advice? I am going to try and do without a car if possible so proximity to the school and perhaps living near other law students are both pluses for me.

mikeandike

New

Post by mikeandike » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Ques about housing, what have you heard/know about the West End City Apartments (Congress/Westmoreland)? I am trying to decide between Central West End vs. Clayton vs. U City?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:31 pm

West End City apartments are not in the Central West End. They're between school and the CWE just north of the park, not really walking distance to anything. The people that live there don't seem to hate it, but it's not in the best area and there are a lot nicer places and better areas to live.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:56 am

boo_pragmatism wrote:When you did your applications for WUSTL, did you do the "Why WUSTL" essay? Did any of you that received scholarships have the draconian "Top 1/3 or Top 1/4" requirements? Are the clinical offerings as good as I've heard?
No/No/Don't know yet

Bucwild

New

Post by Bucwild » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:02 pm

I applied in the 09/10 cycle. I didn't have any requirement/restriction on my scholarship, nor did I write a "Why WUSTL" essay.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:04 pm

I posted this in another WUSTL questions thread, but I thought I would post it here as well to see if I could get more people to bite. More replies = better idea of what I'm getting myself into.

1. What is the job outlook for 2Ls? Information on students at 10%, 30%, 50%, and below median would be especially helpful. Obviously the top of the class should be just fine, but I'm curious as to how other students are faring.

2. What are most 1Ls doing? I'd imagine most are going with unpaid work, but I'm curious as to what kind of work people are finding. Anybody finding paid firm work, and if so, what do they do to get it?

3. I've heard that finding work in STL can be difficult, since many firms see people as a flight risk. This concerns me, since my top market choice is St. Louis. What is your perception of WUSTL placing people in St. Louis, and what does the current St. Louis legal market look like?

4. How is the night life/social scene at Wash U? I had a blast at the ASD and enjoyed some of the bars along Delmar, but I'm curious as to whether my one night there was representative of the night life at school.

5. What is your experience like with the CSO? I really liked Dean Spivey during the ASD and I feel like their office seems pretty aggressive in finding students jobs, but I'm curious as to what you think.

Thanks for taking questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”