The University of Tulsa College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLS_user

New

The University of Tulsa College of Law

Post by TLS_user » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:24 pm

Law School Programs >> Oklahoma Law Schools

law.utulsa.edu
The University of Tulsa College of Law is located in Tulsa, OK.

Please "post a reply" and add any comments you have about Tulsa Law. Many generations of prospective law students will benefit by the information you share.

ashleighlauren

New

Re: The University of Tulsa College of Law

Post by ashleighlauren » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:32 pm

I have been accepted to TU but am worried about job opportunities because of its rankings. I've been accepted to the University of denver and the University of San Diego which are better schools, but neither offered me the money that TU did. Any alumni from TU Law or other people in the same situation?? I am worried about job opportunities if I choose Tulsa. Also, I've never even been to Oklahoma, it was just kind of a safety school that I am now actually considering...

--ash

Mellojello7

New

Post by Mellojello7 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:39 am

I'm pretty familiar with the school since it is my undergrad. I'll tell you what I know.

It's pretty much like every other tier 4. If you can graduate near the top of the class, you should be able to find a decent job within the Tulsa/Northeast Oklahoma area. I know two graduates. One graduated median and is working as a state child support attorney and other is working in a surrounding county's DA's office. Both said they weren't making much money and that they found their jobs through networking. I've heard of others who seem to have done decently and landed private firm jobs. I don't know how much they are making. Big law firms don't have offices in Oklahoma so that is pretty much out of the question.

The city of Tulsa offer a low cost of living. Tulsa is not for you though if you like urban, progressive type cities. Definitely visit and check it out for yourself.

Bottom line, coming to TU is fine if it is not going to cost you much,if you are completely happy practicing/living in Tulsa, and if you have no big law aspirations. Personally, I did not even apply.

I hope that helped. I'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have about the school/area.

ashleighlauren

New

Post by ashleighlauren » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Mellojello7 wrote:I'm pretty familiar with the school since it is my undergrad. I'll tell you what I know.

It's pretty much like every other tier 4. If you can graduate near the top of the class, you should be able to find a decent job within the Tulsa/Northeast Oklahoma area. I know two graduates. One graduated median and is working as a state child support attorney and other is working in a surrounding county's DA's office. Both said they weren't making much money and that they found their jobs through networking. I've heard of others who seem to have done decently and landed private firm jobs. I don't know how much they are making. Big law firms don't have offices in Oklahoma so that is pretty much out of the question.

The city of Tulsa offer a low cost of living. Tulsa is not for you though if you like urban, progressive type cities. Definitely visit and check it out for yourself.

Bottom line, coming to TU is fine if it is not going to cost you much,if you are completely happy practicing/living in Tulsa, and if you have no big law aspirations. Personally, I did not even apply.

I hope that helped. I'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have about the school/area.
Thank you, that insight definitely helped. While the cost of living is attractive, I'm not sure if i could handle not living in a larger city. I am in Tucson right now and I think it is too small. I want to practice family law, but I also would like to keep my options open if I change my mind and want to work for larger and more well-known firms.

sooner25

New

Post by sooner25 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 pm

if tucson is too small for you dont go to tulsa. i live in okc but visit tulsa cause of family, there's really not much there. a tulsa degree is highly unlikely to get you anywhere outside oklahoma and even in oklahoma people struggle to find jobs, i knew a guy who graduated from there 3 years ago in the middle of his class and he just now got a legal job and its not paying much. i think san deigo would be a much much better option not only cause its san diego but you've actually got a chance of getting a big law job if you finish in top of you class, also you should probably visit any law school before you decide to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”