Ask a Harvard 1L Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jennglebell

New

Re: Ask a Harvard 1L Questions

Post by jennglebell » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:04 am

Haribo wrote:I have a few questions :)
Do you know anything about the joint JD/LLM program with Cambridge? How hard is it to be selected for the program? Would missing a 3rd year at Harvard significantly impact your ability to get involved with clinics/centers/journals? Does graduating in December rather than June make it more difficult to find employment afterwards?
Haribo,
I thought you might find this interesting:
http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/ ... e_the_hype
There is a long quote from a law student about his/her joint LLM program. It never mentions the school, but there's a decent chance it is Harvard, and it offers an interesting (negative) perspective on the program.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:19 am

Here are some of the questions I asked the 1L who contacted me that I'll repost here for some of you guys:

1. What is the one thing you wish someone told you as a 0L heading to Harvard Law?

2. What is the biggest drawback, in your opinion, to attending HLS?

3. I hate the New England Patriots. Will I be alone?

brokendowncar

Bronze

Post by brokendowncar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 am

3. I hate the New England Patriots. Will I be alone?
Go TITANS! I don't hate the Pats as much as I hate the Colts, but you certainly won't be alone in hating New England sports.

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:04 am

brokendowncar wrote:3. I hate the New England Patriots. Will I be alone?
Go TITANS! I don't hate the Pats as much as I hate the Colts, but you certainly won't be alone in hating New England sports.
I like that--a Titans fan at Harvard. At least I won't be alone if I end up there.
Last edited by drylo on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 am

jennglebell wrote:
Do you know anything about the joint JD/LLM program with Cambridge? How hard is it to be selected for the program? Would missing a 3rd year at Harvard significantly impact your ability to get involved with clinics/centers/journals? Does graduating in December rather than June make it more difficult to find employment afterwards?
Haribo,
There is a long quote from a law student about his/her joint LLM program. It never mentions the school, but there's a decent chance it is Harvard, and it offers an interesting (negative) perspective on the program.
Thanks for this jennglebell. I am also interested in the Joint LLM and I never thought about it being a negative. Good perspective. Again, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm a Steelers' fan. Hopefully there are quite a few of others.

Jay Obee

New

Post by Jay Obee » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:42 pm

1004LSAT wrote:I think all that that chart with the employment trends tells you is that more HLS students than CLS student decide to do something other than biglaw (especially judicial clerkships). I have little doubt that, if those students who chose to do clerkships or public interest decided to apply for biglaw jobs, they would probably be hired. I mean, CLS has a higher % of students who work in "other firms"--those are probably students who failed to get biglaw jobs. Very few HLS students end up working for "other firms"--probably because they are either assured a biglaw job, or they didn't want to do biglaw in the first place.
I think that may be a little unfair to presume that some sort of failure led Columbia grads to choose non NLJ250 firms. But that aside, Chicago seems very similar to Harvard and-this is even more interesting-Duke. Its not that I don't think Harvard should be near the top of any list, it is just it seems like:

Yale

*steep cliff*

Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, NYU, Stanford (alphabetical order)

*cliff*

Rest of T14
1004LSAT wrote: You'll get a great job regardless of where you go in the top 6.
That seems to be correct.

There is no doubt that prestige whoring will play some role in my decision, of course. I am just beginning to think money/class size/city/overall feel are going to weigh more in any t6 decision I get to make, outside of yale.

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:35 pm

iagolives wrote:
jennglebell wrote:
Haribo,
Thanks for this jennglebell. I am also interested in the Joint LLM and I never thought about it being a negative. Good perspective. Again, thanks!
Thanks for the link - very interesting! That being said, I don't think the critical view is the Harvard JD/LLM... probably either Cornell or Columbia's France program, given that it talks about civil law. I have heard similar things about the Cambridge JD/LLM - namely that a later graduate puts you at disadvantage in the job market.

yme16

New

Post by yme16 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:48 pm

What is the least popular major?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yme16

New

Post by yme16 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:40 am

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:25 pm

How does the housing application process work for the on-campus apartments (1637 Mass, Baker, Mellen)?

The apartment application is separate from the other housing application. Can/do I submit both applications?

1004LSAT

New

Post by 1004LSAT » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:55 am

PC vs. Mac at Harvard--what's best/preferable?

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Does anyone from last year remember the schedule for the ASWs? When it starts the first day? What time things finish up the last day? I am looking at making travel arrangements and am interested to hear any additional information/insight about the ASWs...

Edit: I knew I had read something like this somewhere... now I found it... http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w&start=50 ... nonetheless, if anyone has any other advice on how to do the ASW trip, please don't hesitate to share.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brokendowncar

Bronze

Post by brokendowncar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 pm

Sorry guys, but it is getting to crunch time for finals so I will probably not be around to answer questions for a while. Good luck to all of you!

I'll be sure to check back in once finals are over.

Kevin '11

New

Post by Kevin '11 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:26 am

1004LSAT wrote:PC vs. Mac at Harvard--what's best/preferable?
Seems to be split about 50/50. Both are fully supported.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:33 am

Convince me to go to HLS over a Darrow.

1004LSAT

New

Post by 1004LSAT » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:49 am

Kevin '11 wrote:
1004LSAT wrote:PC vs. Mac at Harvard--what's best/preferable?
Seems to be split about 50/50. Both are fully supported.
Cool, thanks for the info. Just wondering, though, when you say Mac is "fully supported," do you mean that the exam programs and stuff can run on it without having to dual-boot (not sure if that is the right term) with Windows? I want to get a Mac, but I don't want to have to deal with loading Windows and crap onto it, too, and risk adding more variables that could screw things up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brokendowncar

Bronze

Post by brokendowncar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:55 am

brokendowncar wrote:The exam software is the only thing that would have requirements outside of what you want from it. Here are the specs. https://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/r ... -faqs.html
Take a look at this link. Hopefully it will help with specifics, but I am pretty sure you don't have to dual boot.

this is my username

New

Post by this is my username » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 am

1-if you bring a car, approx how much is a parking space?
2-do you feel as though the 1st year legal writing class is a beneficial component to your education? (versus somewhere like Yale where this is not part of the curriculum)
3-is there a track at the gym? or just regular cardio machines?
4-are the harvard affiliated housing buildings nice / are they close to school? how close?

yme16

New

Post by yme16 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 am

yme16

New

Post by yme16 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:52 am

How was your exam? :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yme16

New

Post by yme16 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:22 am

BeastCoastHype

New

Post by BeastCoastHype » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Do most 1Ls live in Harvard housing or off campus?

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm

If there are any Harvard 1Ls out there browsing this thread.. is there a cap on the number of HPasses handed out?

PinkTiki

New

Post by PinkTiki » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:17 pm

KP429 wrote:If there are any Harvard 1Ls out there browsing this thread.. is there a cap on the number of HPasses handed out?
Supposedly there is a curve, but no one has gotten grades yet - I just finished exams today!
BeastCoastHype wrote:Do most 1Ls live in Harvard housing or off campus?
In my section it's about half and half.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”