Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Go_Cardinals

New

Re: Berkeley 1Ls taking Qs...

Post by Go_Cardinals » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:20 pm

southernlady, and other 1L's, would you mind elaborating on the mindset of the school itself? Where does the school consider itself amongst other schools? do you feel it has the same prestige as a school like Columbia? I know i'm coming off as a total tool, and I apologize. It's just that as much as a I love CAL, and I do, its a big decesion.

you rebel scum

New

Post by you rebel scum » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 am

go_cardinals, when you ask about what Boalt thinks of itself in terms of prestige, i'm a bit confused as to what you mean. are you asking about the attitudes of the students themselves? about the faculty? the administration? there are probably few schools who are characterized by the administration as inferior or somehow less prestigious.

it's a hard question to answer because, believe it or not, people who are not going through the admissions process don't tend to talk about law school prestige very much - or at least, they don't do it out loud.

i would guess that most students do feel they are being educated at an institution that counts Chicago and Columbia among its peers. professors refer to the school's excellence when they have occasion to do so. and of course the administration will tell you that there is no better law school in the nation.

if you want to get the opinion of the "school itself," the entity that most closely fits that description is Uncle Zeb.

i hope you're not a troll, by the way. i don't know how i feel about someone being "concerned" that a Boalt student mentioned Duke/Georgetown/Penn/UVA as being similar schools.. actually, i do know how i feel, but i'm in a helpful mood right now.

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 am

Go_Cardinals wrote:southernlady, and other 1L's, would you mind elaborating on the mindset of the school itself? Where does the school consider itself amongst other schools? do you feel it has the same prestige as a school like Columbia? I know i'm coming off as a total tool, and I apologize. It's just that as much as a I love CAL, and I do, its a big decesion.
I don't think tool is the correct word, limited is the word I would go with. Within the T-14 all the schools are peer institutions. Are there minor differences in prestige? Yes, should you be resting your decision on that? I really, really don't think so. Each law school will have a different feel; that's why it's important to visit the school and spend time with the students, ask questions, find out if the vibe fits your personality. You will be at the school for 3 years. The joy of minor prestige differences will run out pretty quick.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:32 am

Go_Cardinals wrote:southernlady, and other 1L's, would you mind elaborating on the mindset of the school itself? Where does the school consider itself amongst other schools? do you feel it has the same prestige as a school like Columbia? I know i'm coming off as a total tool, and I apologize. It's just that as much as a I love CAL, and I do, its a big decesion.
No one cares about prestige (or at least not enough to talk about it). Once you are in at a good school it comes down to grades, work experience and interview/networking skills. I suggest that you go to the school where you think this is most likely to happen.

tobey2

New

Post by tobey2 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:08 am

Hey Berkeley 1Ls... I posted this in a different forum but it was suggested that I ask it here instead. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get off the waitlist? How many people ended up getting off the waitlist last year? I'm thinking of sticking it out, but curious/anxious about my chances :) any help would be much appreciated! thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi 1Ls....I am happy to be joining you all in August. The ASD was amazing and only confirmed that Berkeley is the right place for me to study law. Question:

I am interested in joining CARC, a journal, and an organization during my first semester. Is this putting too much on my plate? I want to make sure that I have enough time to do my best on exams and get good grades, but I also want to take advantage of the opportunities that 1Ls have at Berkeley. What do you guys think? Is this manageable, or should I just do CARC and join a journal later? Thanks!!

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:56 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Hi 1Ls....I am happy to be joining you all in August. The ASD was amazing and only confirmed that Berkeley is the right place for me to study law. Question:

I am interested in joining CARC, a journal, and an organization during my first semester. Is this putting too much on my plate? I want to make sure that I have enough time to do my best on exams and get good grades, but I also want to take advantage of the opportunities that 1Ls have at Berkeley. What do you guys think? Is this manageable, or should I just do CARC and join a journal later? Thanks!!
I'm interested in joining a journal and playing on an intramural football team so any advice on whether this is doable will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:24 pm

tobey2 wrote:Hey Berkeley 1Ls... I posted this in a different forum but it was suggested that I ask it here instead. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get off the waitlist? How many people ended up getting off the waitlist last year? I'm thinking of sticking it out, but curious/anxious about my chances :) any help would be much appreciated! thanks.
Sorry nobody's responded, but I don't think anyone here really knows. I personally can't tell a waitlist admit from any other admit on sight. I do know that the number enrolled from the waitlist fluctuates, and that it ranges from about 2 to 30 people in a given year.

IzziesGal wrote:Hi 1Ls....I am happy to be joining you all in August. The ASD was amazing and only confirmed that Berkeley is the right place for me to study law. Question:

I'm glad you enjoyed ASD! I would recommend you make one big commitment (CARC or a journal) your first semester and a couple of smaller (organization) commitments. I did two journals my first semester. It was very exhausting, but I ended up doing all right in my classes. If you're willing to do a lot of work, it's possible...but first semester is the most difficult in the lot of ways academically.
TheNerdProject wrote: I'm interested in joining a journal and playing on an intramural football team so any advice on whether this is doable will be greatly appreciated. TIA!
How much of a time commitment is an intramural football team?

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Formerbruin wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote: I'm interested in joining a journal and playing on an intramural football team so any advice on whether this is doable will be greatly appreciated. TIA!
I think it's one night a week (Wednesday nights). Journals are 20 hours per week (or semester?) right? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Formerbruin wrote:
tobey2 wrote:Hey Berkeley 1Ls... I posted this in a different forum but it was suggested that I ask it here instead. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get off the waitlist? How many people ended up getting off the waitlist last year? I'm thinking of sticking it out, but curious/anxious about my chances :) any help would be much appreciated! thanks.
Sorry nobody's responded, but I don't think anyone here really knows. I personally can't tell a waitlist admit from any other admit on sight. I do know that the number enrolled from the waitlist fluctuates, and that it ranges from about 2 to 30 people in a given year.

I'm glad you enjoyed ASD! I would recommend you make one big commitment (CARC or a journal) your first semester and a couple of smaller (organization) commitments. I did two journals my first semester. It was very exhausting, but I ended up doing all right in my classes. If you're willing to do a lot of work, it's possible...but first semester is the most difficult in the lot of ways academically.
In your opinion, which helps to better prepare you? CARC or a journal? I am definitely drawn to CARC, but I also want to join a journal so that I can get some experience with legal writing and sharpen my skills for the CLR competition. So torn!!! Damn you, Berkeley, and your abundance of 1st year activities!!!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:35 pm

I think it's one night a week (Wednesday nights). Journals are 20 hours per week (or semester?) right? Thanks!
Definitely won't be a problem.

In your opinion, which helps to better prepare you? CARC or a journal? I am definitely drawn to CARC, but I also want to join a journal so that I can get some experience with legal writing and sharpen my skills for the CLR competition. So torn!!! Damn you, Berkeley, and your abundance of 1st year activities!!!
I think CARC is great for getting real clients and hands-on experience, and working on your lawyering skills. I think the journal is great for being exposed to legal writing and editing/bluebooking skills, which are very useful in the CLR competition.

I would probably go to a meeting of each first/second week, and deciding then.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks FormerBruin!

BTW - the journal I'm interested in requires 20 hours per semester. Would you say 20 hours per semester is average for most journals? If not, do you have an idea of what the average is (perhaps the number of hours you spent working on each of the two journals you joined first semester)?

Thanks again! You're a great resource!

you rebel scum

New

Post by you rebel scum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:56 am

20 hours/semester is pretty common, though there are many that require more. it's also common to let you count everything you do that is journal related, such as sitting in meetings, preparing for meetings, and even going to journal social events.

i know a lot of people who did both CARC and a journal (i am one of them!). i've found it manageable, but just barely. depends on the journal, though - some will bluebook you to death and others will be fairly relaxed with forcing assignments upon members.

the time commitment for CARC varies from case to case, but there are quite a lot of mandatory training sessions you will have to attend at the beginning of the semester.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:33 am

In my journal, it's 20 hours/semester if you want masthead credit, which is really not a big deal. The main requirement is to pay dues of $40/year.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:17 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I know parking is expensive (from looking at the Berkeley transportation website, they are just marginally more than what I pay now for parking), but is it relatively easy for a law student to get a parking pass if they are willing to pay for it? (I'll be commuting.)
I certainly don't know anyone who has had a problem with it. I was honestly surprised when I found out it was pricier than back home...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:44 pm

you rebel scum wrote:20 hours/semester is pretty common, though there are many that require more. it's also common to let you count everything you do that is journal related, such as sitting in meetings, preparing for meetings, and even going to journal social events.

i know a lot of people who did both CARC and a journal (i am one of them!). i've found it manageable, but just barely. depends on the journal, though - some will bluebook you to death and others will be fairly relaxed with forcing assignments upon members.

the time commitment for CARC varies from case to case, but there are quite a lot of mandatory training sessions you will have to attend at the beginning of the semester.
which did you find more fulfilling, journal or CARC?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 am

I'm going to be really annoying and re-post this here, since I think most of us 0Ls have never used GradPlus and I'm hoping some of you current 1Ls have:

Does anyone know what we're supposed to do about GradPlus? I was told by admissions to let them know if I want those loans, and then they would add them to my package. Does this mean that Berkeley will be doing the paperwork for me? I'm so confused, because someone on another thread applied for GradPlus himself. Maybe it's because his school did it differently?

I have already signed my promissory note and done the entrance counseling, but I don't know what to do from here...and Finaid hasn't been responsive because of the office move.

Anyone know? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

you rebel scum

New

Post by you rebel scum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 am

legends159 wrote:
you rebel scum wrote:20 hours/semester is pretty common, though there are many that require more. it's also common to let you count everything you do that is journal related, such as sitting in meetings, preparing for meetings, and even going to journal social events.

they were very different experiences - in fact, the sort of work involved with CARC is different from anything else you'll likely do in your 1L year. the time put into CARC is very client-focused, with an emphasis on fact finding. there is a support structure but for the most part you and your partner get to work independently. i think CARC was more fulfilling, but i don't say this to the detriment of the journal at all, because that was a great experience too.
IzziesGal wrote:I'm going to be really annoying and re-post this here, since I think most of us 0Ls have never used GradPlus and I'm hoping some of you current 1Ls have:

Does anyone know what we're supposed to do about GradPlus? I was told by admissions to let them know if I want those loans, and then they would add them to my package. Does this mean that Berkeley will be doing the paperwork for me? I'm so confused, because someone on another thread applied for GradPlus himself. Maybe it's because his school did it differently?

I have already signed my promissory note and done the entrance counseling, but I don't know what to do from here...and Finaid hasn't been responsive because of the office move.

Anyone know? Thanks!
what you do about gradplus: email finaid and say "I would like to apply for $XX,XXX in Grad Plus loans for the 2009-10 academic year." they do everything else for you and that money will be dispersed with everything else on august whatever.

i do believe other schools have you apply for it on your own, but don't be confused by that. hope that helps

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:52 am

you rebel scum wrote:
legends159 wrote:

they were very different experiences - in fact, the sort of work involved with CARC is different from anything else you'll likely do in your 1L year. the time put into CARC is very client-focused, with an emphasis on fact finding. there is a support structure but for the most part you and your partner get to work independently. i think CARC was more fulfilling, but i don't say this to the detriment of the journal at all, because that was a great experience too.
IzziesGal wrote:I'm going to be really annoying and re-post this here, since I think most of us 0Ls have never used GradPlus and I'm hoping some of you current 1Ls have:

Anyone know? Thanks!
what you do about gradplus: email finaid and say "I would like to apply for $XX,XXX in Grad Plus loans for the 2009-10 academic year." they do everything else for you and that money will be dispersed with everything else on august whatever.

i do believe other schools have you apply for it on your own, but don't be confused by that. hope that helps
Thanks a lot - it definitely does help!!! And here I thought that once I got admitted, all the worrying over things would stop.........

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Sorry to keep being a pain, but some of us from the Berkeley 2012 thread have lots of questions about loans.

Is the EFC figure covered by GradPlus (or whatever loan the student chooses), or is the EFC left out of all the calculations?? If it is left out, what did you guys do to pay that amount?? Thanks!!!

corsii

New

Post by corsii » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:16 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
IzziesGal wrote: Thanks a lot - it definitely does help!!! And here I thought that once I got admitted, all the worrying over things would stop.........
Thanks....that seems incredibly simple..... :)

Wow, I'm -so- glad that's all that there is to it! Here I am, working full time, moving, studying, volunteer coordinating a soup kitchen-esque program... I'm so glad at least that GradPLUS can be arranged with limited stressors for now :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

corsii

New

Post by corsii » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:18 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Sorry to keep being a pain, but some of us from the Berkeley 2012 thread have lots of questions about loans.

Is the EFC figure covered by GradPlus (or whatever loan the student chooses), or is the EFC left out of all the calculations?? If it is left out, what did you guys do to pay that amount?? Thanks!!!

+1

My student contribution amount is more than my checking, savings, certificates of deposit, and pocket change combined, and I have to cover rent through the summer somehow.

doomswitched

New

Post by doomswitched » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Sorry no one has gotten to this question yet. Basically, we are all in finals-mode and strapped for time. In short, relax, everything will get taken care of. All that EFC does is reduce the need-based aid that you can receive. Grad PLUS loans are not need-based, so you can take out loans to cover anything that need based aid, which includes Stafford loans, does not cover. After May 12, finals will be done and folks will return to something approaching normalcy.

link explaining fin aid (LinkRemoved)

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 am

Hello, everyone!

Hopefully there are still some current Boalt students willing to take questions...because here's mine :)

I went to Berk for UG and, honestly, chose Boalt for a lot of the reasons I'm sick of being an undergrad here (small class sizes, low student/faculty ratio, accessible professors, etc.)...but at this point, I'm wondering what your experience has been like with career services.

As much as I love Boalt and was impressed by everyone I met at ASD, I'm kind of afraid of still going to "public" school...I know this sounds awful and entitled, but for all the money I'm paying to go to law school, I would really like some individualized or at least small group attention. At UG here, it's incredibly easy to fall through the cracks, and those of us that do go on to good professional or graduate schools do it completely on our own (except maybe engineers, since that program is so strong at the UG level). So...are the career / study abroad / field placement / etc. staff actually good at what they do and willing to spend time with students on an individual level?

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:27 am

heyyitskatie wrote:Hello, everyone!

Hopefully there are still some current Boalt students willing to take questions...because here's mine :)

I went to Berk for UG and, honestly, chose Boalt for a lot of the reasons I'm sick of being an undergrad here (small class sizes, low student/faculty ratio, accessible professors, etc.)...but at this point, I'm wondering what your experience has been like with career services.

As much as I love Boalt and was impressed by everyone I met at ASD, I'm kind of afraid of still going to "public" school...I know this sounds awful and entitled, but for all the money I'm paying to go to law school, I would really like some individualized or at least small group attention. At UG here, it's incredibly easy to fall through the cracks, and those of us that do go on to good professional or graduate schools do it completely on our own (except maybe engineers, since that program is so strong at the UG level). So...are the career / study abroad / field placement / etc. staff actually good at what they do and willing to spend time with students on an individual level?
I went to UCLA undergrad, so I probably had a similar experience in terms of bureaucracy. The difference is night and day. It feels like a private school (at least to me) in terms of responsiveness and getting things done. The CDO (Career Development Office) has not been short of stellar, and field placement is easy, especially if you're going to be in CA or participating in the UCDC program.

Study abroad programs are lacking, but I am not a particular fan, considering all the missed opportunities if you go abroad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”