Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
runthetrap1990

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Lavitz wrote:
counttoten wrote:FWIW, Uber/Lyft and other ride-sharing services should be coming to Ithaca over the summer. There had been a gov't restriction on upstate NY that got lifted very recently.
About time.
Huge. Of course it comes after I graduate.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:19 am

one way flights in early august are so expensive (350+ for 2 layovers and 550+ for 1 layover) Is it better just to fly into nyc or syracuse and take a shuttle?
Last edited by charles117 on Sun May 07, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Sun May 07, 2017 7:01 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
counttoten wrote:FWIW, Uber/Lyft and other ride-sharing services should be coming to Ithaca over the summer. There had been a gov't restriction on upstate NY that got lifted very recently.
About time.
Huge. Of course it comes after I graduate.
Yes, but also I am sure I saved hundreds of dollars not having Uber and just walking.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sun May 07, 2017 12:43 pm

charles117 wrote:flights in early august are so expensive (350+ for 2 layovers and 550+ for 1 layover) Is it better just to fly into nyc or syracuse and take a shuttle?
Hate to break it to you, flights are that expensive year round. Fly into NYC and bus it up here. Flights into Syracuse and Tompkins Regional are notoriously unreliable.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
charles117 wrote:flights in early august are so expensive (350+ for 2 layovers and 550+ for 1 layover) Is it better just to fly into nyc or syracuse and take a shuttle?
Hate to break it to you, flights are that expensive year round. Fly into NYC and bus it up here. Flights into Syracuse and Tompkins Regional are notoriously unreliable.
do you have a preferred bus line? (greyhound, big bus etc?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 pm

charles117 wrote:
do you have a preferred bus line? (greyhound, big bus etc?)
I've been using shortline (it's this region's version of greyhound) because I'm broke, but the customer service is fucking terrible and the last driver I had was visibly hungover (to the point of being incapacitated) and swerved all over the road, nearly hitting other vehicles on several occasions. Next time I go, I'm going to try BRB, but Cornell also has a "campus-to-campus" service. It's a bit pricier, and I'm not sure if you can use it if you're not already a student, but I suspect it will be the highest quality option. Or you can rent a car, but that's a boring 4 hour drive.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sun May 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Anyone can take Campus to Campus its just more expensive if you're not a current student. It's nice but costs 180 roundtrip for non-students.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:01 pm

is there a law school softball or law school intramural sports team like at uva?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:57 pm

charles117 wrote:is there a law school softball or law school intramural sports team like at uva?
We've sent a team for the last few years to UVA for the UVA softball tournament, but there isn't a formal team that plays in a softball league in Ithaca. There is also a law school indoor soccer team that plays in a local Ithaca co-ed rec league. Both of those though pop up during the winter time.

Students will usually put together their own IM teams that compete on campus in Cornell IM leagues (soccer, basketball, volleyball, etc.), but those aren't officially sponsored by the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Also do all of the 1L classes use the same textbooks or do they change from professor to professor and year to year? Could I just buy all the used books of a 1L and expect them to be the same for next year?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sun May 07, 2017 6:55 pm

charles117 wrote:Also do all of the 1L classes use the same textbooks or do they change from professor to professor and year to year? Could I just buy all the used books of a 1L and expect them to be the same for next year?
Depends on the class. As far as I can tell, all Civ Pro classes use the same textbook, but other course textbooks vary by professor and year. Some professors just throw together a packet of cases instead of use a casebook. You won't know until you know your schedule, unfortunately. You'll probably be able to buy some books off of rising 2Ls, but some classes may switch to newer editions next year.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 pm

hey does anyone know any studio apartments offering 10 month leases (under 800 per month)?
i found a couple of studios at that price but they require 12 month leases.
i dont plan on staying in ithaca during the summer.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Has anyone here signed up for one of the on campus meal plans before? is the food any good? would you recommend it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu May 11, 2017 5:14 pm

charles117 wrote:Has anyone here signed up for one of the on campus meal plans before? is the food any good? would you recommend it?
Read through the last two pages.

My own answer is that the campus food is fine, but the meal plan's more expensive than it's worth.

ReadyToStart

New

Post by ReadyToStart » Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 am

Does anybody have any experience living in CTT 115 S Quarry Street? It seems to be more of a dorm style complex, but it's much cheaper so I was just curious how it works.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

ReadyToStart wrote:Does anybody have any experience living in CTT 115 S Quarry Street? It seems to be more of a dorm style complex, but it's much cheaper so I was just curious how it works.
I looked into that but theres only one small kitchen for the floor so cooking will be kind of hard. coupled with the fact that the university dining hall is pretty far away, it seems like people living there would probably just eat out most days or something.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon May 15, 2017 7:00 am

charles117 wrote:Has anyone here signed up for one of the on campus meal plans before? is the food any good? would you recommend it?
I signed up for it, along with a few of my friends. The food is great. I bought the "45-meal w/ $150 CU bucks" or whatever plan, and it was fine. When you factor in the CU bucks (to be used at vending machines or basically any on-campus cafe/restaurant), it really came out to like ~$11 a meal, which is what I was spending in Collegetown anyway. I didn't really have access to a kitchen though, or else I would've cooked all my meals instead.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 am

- When do we get to know our sections?
Any insight into:
- How does the school constitute 1L sections? LSAT/GPA/diversity/age/other factors?
- Do people get to switch sections, at least before start of classes?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu May 18, 2017 10:10 am

freekick wrote:- When do we get to know our sections?
Any insight into:
- How does the school constitute 1L sections? LSAT/GPA/diversity/age/other factors?
- Likely not until August.
- No idea. I believe it's supposed to be random. Maybe they adjust for diversity. In any case, it should turn out to be fairly representative, and they won't stack all the high LSAT/gpa people in one section.
- No. You're stuck with the section they give you.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 am

Lavitz wrote:
Any insight into:
- No idea. I believe it's supposed to be random. Maybe they adjust for diversity. In any case, it should turn out to be fairly representative, and they won't stack all the high LSAT/gpa people in one section.
Is it a practice anywhere to assign sections by admissions criteria or age? That would seemingly be scandalous?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 am

mt2165 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Any insight into:
Is it a practice anywhere to assign sections by admissions criteria or age? That would seemingly be scandalous?
Section-stacking is a phenomenon at trap schools where they put all the people with scholarships in the same section and then they can rescind scholarships to whoever fails to meet the stipulations to keep the scholarships (e.g., top 50%, top 75%). Since the people with scholarships presumably have higher LSAT/GPA, that's at least a de facto assignment based on admissions criteria.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Any insight into:
When they send out your schedule, check it against the Fall 2017 academic schedule (http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/registrar/calendar.cfm). Note the capital letter(s) in parentheses after each of your classes. The one that matches every class you have is your section.

Side note: I found it helpful to reach out to my sectionmates early; we maintained a group chat all year, which got pretty amusing during a couple classes.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 am

Any insight into:
When they send out your schedule, check it against the Fall 2017 academic schedule (http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/registrar/calendar.cfm). Note the capital letter(s) in parentheses after each of your classes. The one that matches every class you have is your section.

Side note: I found it helpful to reach out to my sectionmates early; we maintained a group chat all year, which got pretty amusing during a couple classes.
Thanks. Group chat with section mates sounds like a good idea. :)

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Sat May 20, 2017 12:39 pm

How late do the buses run to and from campus?

cornell2020

New

Post by cornell2020 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm probably getting an unfurnished place... what's the best option for furniture?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”