Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Clamence

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Clamence » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:10 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Pick whatever elective has the best curve has been my go to advice. Whether you take BizOrgs or Evidence will depend on who teaches because that impacts the curve of the class and your probabilities for falling on the right side of it
cantexplaingottago wrote:it's really dependent on who's teaching it
Thanks for the advice all. Evidence is with Weyble and Business Organizations is with Rachlinski if that makes a difference.

Strangeland

New

Post by Strangeland » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Has anyone had experience with Szabla (Public International Law) or Kallaugher (Comparative Antitrust Law)? Don't know if they've taught before.
Also curious whether BizOrgs with Rachlinski is a good idea.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Rachlinski is an incredibly engaging professor, but has ridiculously hard exams. I don't recommend, especially as a 1L. You'll be with 2Ls and 3Ls who have CHOSEN to take a Friday class. Think about that.

stuffs

New

Post by stuffs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm

What is the best way to study for Hillman's multiple choice? Would getting an E&E be useful? Looking at MBE MC questions?

Thanks!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:36 am

stuffs wrote:What is the best way to study for Hillman's multiple choice? Would getting an E&E be useful? Looking at MBE MC questions?

Thanks!
In my experience, outside supplements are of little value in that class. At least, I never used any, and I got an A+. Just know everything covered in the casebook and hornbook backwards and forwards. Outline them, tab them, whatever helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stuffs

New

Post by stuffs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Lavitz wrote:
stuffs wrote:What is the best way to study for Hillman's multiple choice? Would getting an E&E be useful? Looking at MBE MC questions?

Thanks!
In my experience, outside supplements are of little value in that class. At least, I never used any, and I got an A+. Just know everything covered in the casebook and hornbook backwards and forwards. Outline them, tab them, whatever helps.
Great - thanks, Lavitz!

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?
I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Lincoln wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?
I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.
Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
I agree. But, for example, WLRK has one associate who is a Cornell Law grad and 14 Columbia Law grads, so there's at least a material difference if you absolutely have to work there.

Less of a difference for CSM, S&C, DPW etc.

Edited to avoid the appearance that I work at WLRK; I am not the lone Cornell associate.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
I agree. But, for example, WLRK has one associate who is a Cornell Law grad and 14 Columbia Law grads, so there's at least a material difference if you absolutely have to work there.

Edited to avoid the appearance that I work at WLRK; I am not the lone Cornell associate.
Yeah, WLRK is the one that's closest to being "impossible," but even they have made offers recently; people have just not accepted. And wanted to make sure it was clear that it's definitely not impossible to get any of the other firms mentioned.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Yeah, WLRK is the one that's closest to being "impossible," but even they have made offers recently; people have just not accepted. And wanted to make sure it was clear that it's definitely not impossible to get any of the other firms mentioned.
Back in my day, some boutiques were essentially impossible to get from Cornell. Has that changed? I know Kellogg Hansen is about half-Cornell now but, other than that oddity, what about places like Susman, Keker, etc.?

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Lavitz wrote: Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.
Thanks for the info. Just assumed WLRK was not a possibility since they don't do OCI at Cornell (not like I'm expecting to even be considered for WLRK regardless of where I go). Only reason I even care about firm "prestige" is because I'm interested in lateraling to USAO/SEC after a few years and figure that'll help my chances
Last edited by OakBrook2021 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Back in my day, some boutiques were essentially impossible to get from Cornell. Has that changed? I know Kellogg Hansen is about half-Cornell now but, other than that oddity, what about places like Susman, Keker, etc.?
Afaik, Susman still doesn't have a Cornell grad besides a partner in the Seattle office. But they just had their reception tonight, and I came away from it with the impression that they would be open to hiring any of us Cornell people. Of course, a big obstacle with the lit boutique hiring is getting the prestigious clerkships that serve as a de facto prerequisite. Most of the Susman NY associates have 2d Cir./SDNY. As you noted, getting prestigious clerkships from Cornell was pretty difficult, but it's been getting better, and there were about 7 of us at the reception. At the very least, I'm confident that certain Cornell grads in my class could get hired at Susman if they applied.

Keker is trickier to say, because now you need a top Cornell grad with prestigious clerkships who wants to work in SF. Honestly don't know anyone who fits that criteria. I know I'm not going to bother applying.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:
Lavitz wrote: Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.
Thanks for the info. Just assumed WLRK was not a possibility since they don't do OCI at Cornell (not like I'm expecting to even be considered for WLRK regardless of where I go). Only reason I even care about firm "prestige" is because I'm interested in lateraling to USAO/SEC after a few years and figure that'll help my chances
Starting with class of 2017, they've been doing a resume collect thing. You'd have to be top 5% or so to have a chance, but other firms good for USAO/SEC will be much easier.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am

Posting here because this thread is active.

Can any 3Ls/JDs describe what to expect on Omarova's Corporate Finance exam? She doesn't distribute old exams and I'm really not sure what it is I'm supposed to be learning in this class.

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:Posting here because this thread is active.

Can any 3Ls/JDs describe what to expect on Omarova's Corporate Finance exam? She doesn't distribute old exams and I'm really not sure what it is I'm supposed to be learning in this class.
Also interested in this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Susman has interviewed cornellians every year since at least the c/o 2017 and should have a cornellian in their office this summer. WLRK has offered at least one cornellian every year since at least the class of 2015 (idk anything earlier than that), and there should be at least one starting this year as a first year and some more summering this summer. And of course, Kellogg has taken several post-clerkship cornellians over the past year.

I dont think any firm is out of reach for a cornellian near the top of the class.

But I do think that boutiques are generally more stingy and will hire more students from the top 6 schools than let’s say Cornell. I wouldn’t make a school decision based on the hiring decisions from partners at WLRK or SG, tho. The odds of landing a job there are very small from any school
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

actuator

New

Post by actuator » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:11 pm

anyone know anything about complex litigation with cavanagh? or about cavanagh generally? thinking of taking it next semester.

Clamence

New

Post by Clamence » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

actuator wrote:anyone know anything about complex litigation with cavanagh? or about cavanagh generally? thinking of taking it next semester.
I'm taking Civil Procedure with Cavanagh this semester. He's become a favorite among the 1Ls this year. At first a lot of people didn't like him because he yells a lot and can seem like a hardass, but it's really just his way of showing excitement. After a while you realize his yelling is more amusing than anything else. He's actually an exceptionally friendly and engaging professor. I highly recommend taking a class with him.

CLS2L

New

Post by CLS2L » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Looking for an outline for Corporate Finance with Omarova. Can anyone help me out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Anyone have experience working as a research assistant for a professor over the 1L summer? Leaning heavily towards doing that and need to decide relatively soon after exams end, would appreciate any insight into how worthwhile it is.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Anyone know anything about Evidence with Weyble? Is it still a MC exam, like it was with Colb?

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 pm

any advice on how helpful supplements will be for sherwin (property) and heise (torts)?

coffee4life

New

Post by coffee4life » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Also interested in this.

Rubbishdump wrote:any advice on how helpful supplements will be for sherwin (property) and heise (torts)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”