Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lilo93

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lilo93 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:40 pm

///
Last edited by Lilo93 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaekeem

New

Post by jaekeem » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:22 pm

If you have a free month or two before 1L, why not?

However, be forewarned: even from a T14 you'll need top grades + interview skill + hopefully URM + luck to land a biglaw SA as a 1L in a major market (based on my limited, anecdotal experience)

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Lilo93 wrote:Are the chances so low that I shouldn't even bother to apply or is it with it?
Can't win if you don't play. 1L SA positions are rare, but they exist.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:54 pm

freekick wrote:Incoming 1L.

Would be really helpful if someone could talk about how Asian international students (i.e. those on the F1 visa) fare at the AJF. Apart from general comments, would appreciate insight into the following:
- How much of a problem is the need for visa sponsorship? Deal-breaker?
- I understand that firms with large international practices (White & Case, Freshfields, Shearman etc) would​ be more receptive. In that case, is the job hunt then limited to these firms?
- In practice, is the work visa issue tied to grades in that the better your grades, the more willing a firm is to sponsor you?
- If one wants, can one do domestic litigation or does it have to be 'international' corp/lit practice?
- Is striking out a big risk solely account of need for visa sponsorship regardless of good grades?

Also:
- Since non-citizens cannot be paid for federal jobs, has anyone found an unpaid federal clerkship, either at the district court or CoA level?

Happy to do this via PM if that's what you would prefer. Many thanks in advance.
Any chance of these getting addressed ITT? If not, who should I turn to: CSO and international 2 & 3Ls when​ I get to campus?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:50 am

freekick wrote:
freekick wrote:Incoming 1L.

Would be really helpful if someone could talk about how Asian international students (i.e. those on the F1 visa) fare at the AJF. Apart from general comments, would appreciate insight into the following:
- How much of a problem is the need for visa sponsorship? Deal-breaker?
- I understand that firms with large international practices (White & Case, Freshfields, Shearman etc) would​ be more receptive. In that case, is the job hunt then limited to these firms?
- In practice, is the work visa issue tied to grades in that the better your grades, the more willing a firm is to sponsor you?
- If one wants, can one do domestic litigation or does it have to be 'international' corp/lit practice?
- Is striking out a big risk solely account of need for visa sponsorship regardless of good grades?

Also:
- Since non-citizens cannot be paid for federal jobs, has anyone found an unpaid federal clerkship, either at the district court or CoA level?

Happy to do this via PM if that's what you would prefer. Many thanks in advance.
Any chance of these getting addressed ITT? If not, who should I turn to: CSO and international 2 & 3Ls when​ I get to campus?
I'll take a stab at this.
- I mean, biglaw firms sponsor visas. It's a problem in the sense that you'd probably need biglaw instead of, say, a smaller firm, PI, etc. For biglaw firms deciding whether to hire you, it may be a slight issue, but I don't think I'd characterize it as a dealbreaker. From what I can tell, that's not the main barrier to international students getting biglaw jobs. The biggest problem is usually a combination of low grades and culture barrier.
-Those firms probably are more receptive, but job hunt's certainly not limited to those firms.
-Well, if they hire you, they're planning on sponsoring you, and the higher your grades, the more likely any firm is to hire you. So, yes, sort of?
-Yes, you can do domestic work. Nobody's going to force you to do international work just because you're international.
-No. Internationals with top grades and/or great interviewing skills should do very well, like anyone else.

Yes, also ask international 2Ls/3Ls when you get to campus. You should even be assigned a mentor, who hopefully will be able to answer any other questions you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:26 am

^ Thanks for the helpful replies, Lavitz. I would take up my follow up queries with the CSO and upperclass internationals later.

Susurrus

New

Post by Susurrus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:50 pm

So I'm going to be living in Ithaca commons for 1L (Commons West apartments) but I was wondering -- I know most 1L's live in collegetown, but is there a sizable portion downtown (1L's specifically)? I don't want to feel that separated from my classmates during the first year. Also, in the small chance that anyone is familiar with that specific apartment building, please let me know your thoughts/experience.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Susurrus wrote:So I'm going to be living in Ithaca commons for 1L (Commons West apartments) but I was wondering -- I know most 1L's live in collegetown, but is there a sizable portion downtown (1L's specifically)? I don't want to feel that separated from my classmates during the first year. Also, in the small chance that anyone is familiar with that specific apartment building, please let me know your thoughts/experience.
There a decent portion of 1Ls who live downtown every year, but it's no big deal at all. Many 1Ls will live in CTT, which is equidistant between the Commons and Collegetown, and the Tompkins County bus system is actually really reliable and frequent.

I wouldn't fret.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:18 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Susurrus wrote:So I'm going to be living in Ithaca commons for 1L (Commons West apartments) but I was wondering -- I know most 1L's live in collegetown, but is there a sizable portion downtown (1L's specifically)? I don't want to feel that separated from my classmates during the first year. Also, in the small chance that anyone is familiar with that specific apartment building, please let me know your thoughts/experience.
and the Tompkins County bus system is actually really reliable and frequent.

And also free your first year on campus - Commons West isn't that far at all, I wouldn't worry

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 pm

runinthefront wrote:There a decent portion of 1Ls who live downtown every year, but it's no big deal at all. Many 1Ls will live in CTT, which is equidistant between the Commons and Collegetown, and the Tompkins County bus system is actually really reliable and frequent.

I wouldn't fret.
No big deal at all! There are a bunch of law students living downtown and in Fall Creek. I live a bit further out and have to transfer buses at the downtown hub, and I see them get on there all the time.

Susurrus

New

Post by Susurrus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 pm

runinthefront wrote:There a decent portion of 1Ls who live downtown every year, but it's no big deal at all. Many 1Ls will live in CTT, which is equidistant between the Commons and Collegetown, and the Tompkins County bus system is actually really reliable and frequent.

I wouldn't fret.
CFC1524 wrote: And also free your first year on campus - Commons West isn't that far at all, I wouldn't worry
cantexplaingottago wrote: No big deal at all! There are a bunch of law students living downtown and in Fall Creek. I live a bit further out and have to transfer buses at the downtown hub, and I see them get on there all the time.
Thank you all! Your assurances have put my mind at ease.

Lilo93

New

Post by Lilo93 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:45 am

Considering 1L sections just came out, does anyone have any advice for these professors?

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
Lawyering: Bigoness
Contracts: Dagan
Civ Pro: Cavanagh

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Lilo93 wrote:Considering 1L sections just came out, does anyone have any advice for these professors?

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
wait how do I see what section I'm in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theoptimist17

New

Post by theoptimist17 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
Lilo93 wrote:Considering 1L sections just came out, does anyone have any advice for these professors?

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
wait how do I see what section I'm in?
Top left corner after signing into the Admitted Students Portal

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
Garvey: Exam will be 3 issue-spotter essay questions. Straightforward applying the law to the facts. But most important thing is to remember the differences between the Model Penal Code and the Common Law, and to apply the correct law in each essay. Get (1) Understanding Criminal Law by Dressler, and (2) Criminal Law Model Problems and Outstanding Answers by Christopher & Christopher. Use Dressler and class slides to compose a chart contrasting the Model Penal Code and the Common Law. Make flashcards if that helps. Practice exam-writing with Chistopher & Christopher.

Rana: Exam is something like an 8-hour take-home with a doctrinal question and a policy question. Brilliant professor, so really all you need to do is pay attention in class and take good notes. He'll tell you that you don't need a supplement, but I'd still get Chemerinsky's Constitutional Law: Principle and Policies in case Rana is talking over your head and you have trouble understanding how the doctrine fits together.

I have no idea who Dagan and Cavanagh are, so they must be new. Not sure if my Lawyering recommendations will apply to Bigoness, but I typically recommend getting Plain English for Lawyers even if your prof doesn't recommend it. Would maybe read it once, but also use it when editing a memo and make sure you're not making any of the mistakes discussed in there.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
Where do I see my section profs? And if that info is also out, then is there a way to know the books we need to buy for our profs?

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:46 pm

freekick wrote:

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
Where do I see my section profs? And if that info is also out, then is there a way to know the books we need to buy for our profs?
https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... 017&term=F

If you're section B, you're in any class with B next to it.

I'm a rising 2L - feel free to reach out with any and all questions!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
freekick wrote:

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... 017&term=F

If you're section B, you're in any class with B next to it.

I'm a rising 2L - feel free to reach out with any and all questions!
Thanks a lot, Hopefuljumbo. I have the following:
Constitutional Law - Chafetz
Contracts - Hillman
Criminal Law - Garvey
Civil Procedure - Clermont

How do I figure which books these profs prescribe?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:30 pm

freekick wrote: Thanks a lot, Hopefuljumbo. I have the following:
Contracts - Hillman
Criminal Law - Garvey

There's usually a textbook link on the registrar's page, but I don't see it yet. If you can figure out the course number, you can also enter it on the bookstore site.

Really, I just wanted to comment that this is a classic lineup of profs.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Contracts - Hillman
Criminal Law - Garvey

There's usually a textbook link on the registrar's page, but I don't see it yet. If you can figure out the course number, you can also enter it on the bookstore site.

Thanks, will look it up. Please care to elaborate on 'classic'.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:40 pm

freekick wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Contracts - Hillman
Criminal Law - Garvey

I think he means that those profs have been around forever - thus, "classic." Someone who posted their line-up above included a bunch of profs who are new to Cornell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:51 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
freekick wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Contracts - Hillman
Criminal Law - Garvey

I think he means that those profs have been around forever - thus, "classic." Someone who posted their line-up above included a bunch of profs who are new to Cornell.
Pretty much this, plus the fact that their quirks are Cornell legends. This thread has references to Hillman's corny jokes and Clermont's ridiculous exams strewn throughout, all the way back to the beginning of the thread in 2008-09.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
freekick wrote: Thanks, will look it up. Please care to elaborate on 'classic'.
Pretty much this, plus the fact that their quirks are Cornell legends. This thread has references to Hillman's corny jokes and Clermont's ridiculous exams strewn throughout, all the way back to the beginning of the thread in 2008-09.
Yeah, these profs are institutions. if you're talking to an alum at some point, you'll probably be able to reminisce/commiserate very specifically about taking contracts with Hillman or civ pro with Clermont (maybe later on crim pro with Blume, fed courts with Dorf, bizorgs with Whitehead...). Not so for a new or visiting prof, or a prof providing coverage outside their normal wheelhouse.

Also, if you're asking about books, you'll be buying every book Clermont has ever written, contributed to, or edited.

(Exaggerating. Slightly.)

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:14 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
freekick wrote: Thanks, will look it up. Please care to elaborate on 'classic'.
Yeah, these profs are institutions. if you're talking to an alum at some point, you'll probably be able to reminisce/commiserate very specifically about taking contracts with Hillman or civ pro with Clermont (maybe later on crim pro with Blume, fed courts with Dorf, bizorgs with Whitehead...). Not so for a new or visiting prof, or a prof providing coverage outside their normal wheelhouse.

Also, if you're asking about books, you'll be buying every book Clermont has ever written, contributed to, or edited.

(Exaggerating. Slightly.)
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Looking forward even more to 22 August. :D

Lilo93

New

Post by Lilo93 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Crim Law- Garvey
Con Law- Rana
Garvey: Exam will be 3 issue-spotter essay questions. Straightforward applying the law to the facts. But most important thing is to remember the differences between the Model Penal Code and the Common Law, and to apply the correct law in each essay. Get (1) Understanding Criminal Law by Dressler, and (2) Criminal Law Model Problems and Outstanding Answers by Christopher & Christopher. Use Dressler and class slides to compose a chart contrasting the Model Penal Code and the Common Law. Make flashcards if that helps. Practice exam-writing with Chistopher & Christopher.

Rana: Exam is something like an 8-hour take-home with a doctrinal question and a policy question. Brilliant professor, so really all you need to do is pay attention in class and take good notes. He'll tell you that you don't need a supplement, but I'd still get Chemerinsky's Constitutional Law: Principle and Policies in case Rana is talking over your head and you have trouble understanding how the doctrine fits together.

I have no idea who Dagan and Cavanagh are, so they must be new. Not sure if my Lawyering recommendations will apply to Bigoness, but I typically recommend getting Plain English for Lawyers even if your prof doesn't recommend it. Would maybe read it once, but also use it when editing a memo and make sure you're not making any of the mistakes discussed in there.
Thanks for the advice!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”