Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
counttoten

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by counttoten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 pm

CR7 wrote:
cornell2020 wrote:How far from the law school is it reasonable/comfortable to live during 1L? I assume I'll be commuting by foot or by bus. Should I really make an effort to live in Collegetown? Or is living in downtown alright? How bad is it to walk from downtown to the Law School, especially during winter?
You should google map the distance between the apartments you're looking at and the law school so you can get an idea of what your walk would be like during snow
To add to this, check out the bicycle view. Gives you the elevation change from point to point, so you can get a sense of what the hills will be like.

cornell2020

New

Post by cornell2020 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:50 pm

CR7 wrote:
cornell2020 wrote:How far from the law school is it reasonable/comfortable to live during 1L? I assume I'll be commuting by foot or by bus. Should I really make an effort to live in Collegetown? Or is living in downtown alright? How bad is it to walk from downtown to the Law School, especially during winter?
You should google map the distance between the apartments you're looking at and the law school so you can get an idea of what your walk would be like during snow
Some of the places I'm looking at outside of Collegetown are about 20 minutes away by foot. That doesn't feel unreasonable to me (my undergrad commute was a ~15 minute walk), but I've also lived all my life in a temperate climate. What's it like to make a 20 minute walk during an Ithaca winter? How reliable are the buses in the winter? What's the closest stop to the law school?

The Collegetown apartments that I'm looking at are all about like ~5-10 minutes away from the law school.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:51 pm

cornell2020 wrote:
CR7 wrote:
Some of the places I'm looking at outside of Collegetown are about 20 minutes away by foot. That doesn't feel unreasonable to me (my undergrad commute was a ~15 minute walk), but I've also lived all my life in a temperate climate. What's it like to make a 20 minute walk during an Ithaca winter? How reliable are the buses in the winter? What's the closest stop to the law school?

The Collegetown apartments that I'm looking at are all about like ~5-10 minutes away from the law school.
Just take the bus. The buses are reliable and they run frequently. Many students live downtown; it's not a big deal.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:00 pm

cornell2020 wrote:Some of the places I'm looking at outside of Collegetown are about 20 minutes away by foot. That doesn't feel unreasonable to me (my undergrad commute was a ~15 minute walk), but I've also lived all my life in a temperate climate. What's it like to make a 20 minute walk during an Ithaca winter? How reliable are the buses in the winter? What's the closest stop to the law school?

I live 30 minutes away by foot, it's not bad in the winter if you're dressed correctly. The closest bus stop is immediately in front of the law school, super convenient.

jurisdoctor2020

New

Post by jurisdoctor2020 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Looks like this hasn't been discussed in a while so I thought I'd rekindle the conversation on this topic --

I'm interested in focusing on environmental law, but I'm worried that the opportunities may be limited at Cornell. Do you think there is enough (in terms of classes, externship opportunities, etc.) to tailor my JD toward environmental law? For being in such a beautiful, remote place it seems ironic that there isn't more of a focus on this yet :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cow

New

Post by Cow » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:56 pm

jurisdoctor2020 wrote:Looks like this hasn't been discussed in a while so I thought I'd rekindle the conversation on this topic --

I'm interested in focusing on environmental law, but I'm worried that the opportunities may be limited at Cornell. Do you think there is enough (in terms of classes, externship opportunities, etc.) to tailor my JD toward environmental law? For being in such a beautiful, remote place it seems ironic that there isn't more of a focus on this yet :)
From the perspective of class selection, It’s not that feasible- at Cornell or anywhere else- to meaningfully tailor your JD toward environmental law. Sure, you can take an environmental law class or two (just about every school will have one), but the single best way to establish your interest in that field would be to take a 1L public interest internship with an environmental group/state agency that focuses on environmental work. An internship of that variety would likely be obtainable from any of the T14 schools. For instance, I worked for an Attorney General’s Office my 1L summer and spent half the summer working on environmental law issues. I will note, however, that Cornell does not to my knowledge offer any environmental clinics or externships, though you could likely find an externship placement with a nonprofit on your own if you felt so inclined.

Again, not trying to rain on your parade, but my understanding is that post-graduation jobs in environmental law are slim-to-none, so it might be unwise to select a school based on opportunities to bolster environmental law credentials. I would hazard a guess that to the extent that environmental law jobs are available, Cornell would be at a disadvantage compared to, say, Harvard or Yale, but that’s just due to general prestige/faculty connections, not any difference in course/externship offerings.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Cow wrote:
jurisdoctor2020 wrote:Looks like this hasn't been discussed in a while so I thought I'd rekindle the conversation on this topic --

From the perspective of class selection, It’s not that feasible- at Cornell or anywhere else- to meaningfully tailor your JD toward environmental law. Sure, you can take an environmental law class or two (just about every school will have one), but the single best way to establish your interest in that field would be to take a 1L public interest internship with an environmental group/state agency that focuses on environmental work. An internship of that variety would likely be obtainable from any of the T14 schools. For instance, I worked for an Attorney General’s Office my 1L summer and spent half the summer working on environmental law issues. I will note, however, that Cornell does not to my knowledge offer any environmental clinics or externships, though you could likely find an externship placement with a nonprofit on your own if you felt so inclined.

Again, not trying to rain on your parade, but my understanding is that post-graduation jobs in environmental law are slim-to-none, so it might be unwise to select a school based on opportunities to bolster environmental law credentials. I would hazard a guess that to the extent that environmental law jobs are available, Cornell would be at a disadvantage compared to, say, Harvard or Yale, but that’s just due to general prestige/faculty connections, not any difference in course/externship offerings.
I agree with most of this. I would just clarify that, in addition to 1L summer, you'd want to work for an environmental organization during 2L summer as well, and I imagine not all environmental summer jobs lead to an offer for post-grad employment. This would mean skipping a 2L SA, so it's a bit risky, since you won't have a biglaw fallback if you don't line up a job in environmental law by graduation. I know one person who did this and they're working for the EPA right now. Sucks that it promptly got taken over by Trump, but at least it shows you can get a job in environmental law from Cornell if you're dedicated enough.

You'd probably also want to do an environmental externship during 2L or 3L, which as Cow mentioned, you can line up on your own. A large portion of the class spends 3L Fall either studying abroad or externing outside Ithaca, so I would recommend doing that. And there is also an environmental law society that you can join, although I forget how active they were and how many panels they hosted.

cornell2020

New

Post by cornell2020 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:12 am

Is it a good idea to get a meal plan during 1L? If so, which plan?

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 am

cornell2020 wrote:Is it a good idea to get a meal plan during 1L? If so, which plan?
I wouldn't. You'll have plenty of time to cook during most of the semester and meal plans are pricey af. I imagine you'd also get sick of that much dining hall food. I only ate at dining halls the last couple weeks of the semester, but still not every day. I've also never heard of anyone purchasing a meal plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cornell2020

New

Post by cornell2020 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 am

Trippel wrote:
cornell2020 wrote:Is it a good idea to get a meal plan during 1L? If so, which plan?
I wouldn't. You'll have plenty of time to cook during most of the semester and meal plans are pricey af. I imagine you'd also get sick of that much dining hall food. I only ate at dining halls the last couple weeks of the semester, but still not every day. I've also never heard of anyone purchasing a meal plan.
What about the people that live in 13 South Ave?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 am

cornell2020 wrote:
Trippel wrote:
13 South has a kitchen. If money isn't an issue and you don't care what you eat, a meal plan might be nice, but keep in mind that the dining halls close during many holidays, so you'll be stuck cooking for yourself at some point.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:
cornell2020 wrote:
Trippel wrote:
13 South has a kitchen. If money isn't an issue and you don't care what you eat, a meal plan might be nice, but keep in mind that the dining halls close during many holidays, so you'll be stuck cooking for yourself at some point.
Some students at 13 South Ave have meal plans, as did students who lived in Hughes before Hughes shut down. The meal plans can be somewhat pricey but overall pretty good. Just get the one where you get like 40 or so meals a semester. Also, 13 South Ave has a kitchen in name only. It can get pretty fucking disgusting at times

There's also many dining halls with a lot of varied options. Cornell consistently has like a top-5-rated dining hall system in the country. It's not bad

CR7

New

Post by CR7 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:45 am

Is food cheaper at the on campus dining halls or in collegetown?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:48 am

CR7 wrote:Is food cheaper at the on campus dining halls or in collegetown?
dining hall plan averages out to 11 bucks a meal (on the 45-meal or w/e plan) once you also factor in the CU Bucks, so it's roughly equal to or cheaper than a meal in CT with more options

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Need help with Thurston Court apartments. Just got assigned a room there. Seems like a pretty good option. Please let me know if I can PM someone to have a few questions addressed. Thanks a lot.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 pm

freekick wrote:Need help with Thurston Court apartments. Just got assigned a room there. Seems like a pretty good option. Please let me know if I can PM someone to have a few questions addressed. Thanks a lot.
Hey, you might be better served seeing whether Thurston can put you in touch with someone. I don't know any law students who have lived or are living there. Although maybe it's more popular with the 1L class, now that Hughes has shut down.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 am

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
freekick wrote:Need help with Thurston Court apartments. Just got assigned a room there. Seems like a pretty good option. Please let me know if I can PM someone to have a few questions addressed. Thanks a lot.
Hey, you might be better served seeing whether Thurston can put you in touch with someone. I don't know any law students who have lived or are living there. Although maybe it's more popular with the 1L class, now that Hughes has shut down.
Yeah, doesn't seem popular with law schools. May be 13 South Ave. is 'coz its right behind law school. Anyway, will check with Thurston. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ReadyToStart

New

Post by ReadyToStart » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi everybody

I recently found a 1 bedroom that I want to apply for, but it comes unfurnished and I really don't want to go through the hassle of furnishing it. I do really like the place though, so if anybody is looking to get rid of their furniture and assorted furnishings (in Ithaca I should add) please let me know.

P.S. I wouldnt need the furnishings till August.

Thanks!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 pm

ReadyToStart wrote:Hi everybody

I recently found a 1 bedroom that I want to apply for, but it comes unfurnished and I really don't want to go through the hassle of furnishing it. I do really like the place though, so if anybody is looking to get rid of their furniture and assorted furnishings (in Ithaca I should add) please let me know.

P.S. I wouldnt need the furnishings till August.

Thanks!
There's a massive thrift/junk sale at Helen Newman Gym at the beginning of the semester--I think it was even during orientation? I don't remember--and everything is suuuuuper cheap.

The students who leave for the summer/after graduation donate their furniture, kitchen stuff, home decor, clothes, school supplies, whatever, and some organization at the school sells it. I don't think they have beds, but I wouldn't want a used bed anyway, so you'll probably want to ship that in or bring it with you if you can.

Also, ask the property management company if they are able to furnish it. A lot of them do and change a nominal monthly fee for it.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:54 pm

cheaptilts wrote: Also, 13 South Ave has a kitchen in name only. It can get pretty fucking disgusting at times
SO TRUE. +100

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Editeddd
Last edited by Po$eidon on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 pm

I noticed cornell law jd program offers 4 concentrations
Advocacy
Public law
Business law and regulation
General practice

can anyone speak about these concentrations? specifically the business law and regulation concentration? can we take courses in the business school?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Po$eidon wrote:If, say, you wanted to heavily target fedgov positions - particularly fedgov positions located in NYC (rarer) - over biglaw coming out of Cornell what would the correct approach be? Summer where, take what, apply how, extern with whom etc
There are many paths to this, depending on what agency you're talking about. Path to SEC regulatory is probably pretty different than SDNY USAO criminal division. What they have in common are the need for stellar grades.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:50 pm

uhwrestler wrote:I noticed cornell law jd program offers 4 concentrations
Advocacy
Public law
General practice

can anyone speak about these concentrations? specifically the business law and regulation concentration? can we take courses in the business school?
They are meaningless designations. There's a list of courses that will count towards each concentration. They change the lists each year iirc. The lists are kind of a joke, and include many courses only remotely related to the concentration. At the end of 3L, you will have the option of requesting that you graduate with a "concentration" based on whether you took enough courses counting towards whichever concentration you want. I ended up not having enough credits for Advocacy for some reason, so I got Public Law instead. I don't even remember which classes I took that counted towards it, but probably First Amendment Law, Fed Courts, etc.

The concentration also doesn't appear on your degree. Rather, they e-mail you a pdf of a certificate you can print out. The pdf is also a joke, as you can edit it and make it look like you graduated with a concentration in Bird Law. I've listed it on my resume (public law, not bird law), but I don't expect anyone to ever care about it.

However, yes, you can certainly take classes in the business school if you like. There's a limit on how many credits you can take outside the law school and still have it count towards the JD, but I'm pretty sure it's still 12 credits, which is decent, since that's pretty much a full semester. I forget if any business school classes count towards that concentration, but again, concentrations don't matter.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:I noticed cornell law jd program offers 4 concentrations
Advocacy
Public law
General practice

They are meaningless designations. There's a list of courses that will count towards each concentration. They change the lists each year iirc. The lists are kind of a joke, and include many courses only remotely related to the concentration. At the end of 3L, you will have the option of requesting that you graduate with a "concentration" based on whether you took enough courses counting towards whichever concentration you want. I ended up not having enough credits for Advocacy for some reason, so I got Public Law instead. I don't even remember which classes I took that counted towards it, but probably First Amendment Law, Fed Courts, etc.

The concentration also doesn't appear on your degree. Rather, they e-mail you a pdf of a certificate you can print out. The pdf is also a joke, as you can edit it and make it look like you graduated with a concentration in Bird Law. I've listed it on my resume (public law, not bird law), but I don't expect anyone to ever care about it.

However, yes, you can certainly take classes in the business school if you like. There's a limit on how many credits you can take outside the law school and still have it count towards the JD, but I'm pretty sure it's still 12 credits, which is decent, since that's pretty much a full semester. I forget if any business school classes count towards that concentration, but again, concentrations don't matter.
thanks for the information bro

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”