Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Concord72 wrote:ok im in hs and i got a question about class selection. Does every1 take all the same classes thru law school or do u take a core set and then take chosen specialized classes? What i want to kno is when and how do u choose wat type of law u wanna specialize in. like for example, if i wanna do sports law, is there a special class i gotta go to for that?
For now, just focus on English class.

Ryduce

New

Post by Ryduce » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Burn?

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:07 pm

let's get this thread back on topic... you in the blue, did you have a question?

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Hey...Section C dosent get pizza at meetings :(

And...about the studying stats...

I don't know about the rest of the 1Ls...but I'm finding them to be pretty close to accurate. Unfortunate, but true.

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:32 pm

kn6542 wrote: Yeah, I plan on tearing a piece of slate off the side of the gorge and scratching my notes onto it with limestone for Summers' class.
KN, I don't think you'll have summers...you're in A right?
I think you switch from Hillman to some other guy whose name begins with an H next semester.

Though, sidenote: I actually find Summers quite entertaining.

And taking notes by hand has not been bad at all, it keeps my notes much more focused. I have not been brave enough to try it for any other class, though, which I guess says something.

Sorry...derailing thread...

sooo...back to questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:41 pm

CampbellRh wrote:Hey...Section C dosent get pizza at meetings :(

I don't know about the rest of the 1Ls...but I'm finding them to be pretty close to accurate. Unfortunate, but true.
Wow, really? I feel like most people are studying 4 hours a day tops. More like three maybe, during which time they read for class (not so much study, per se). I have heard that some spend more time, but I struggle to understand what more they're doing at this point!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:43 pm

CampbellRh wrote:
kn6542 wrote: Yeah, I plan on tearing a piece of slate off the side of the gorge and scratching my notes onto it with limestone for Summers' class.
I think you switch from Hillman to some other guy whose name begins with an H next semester.
???
Really? Everyone, including a few profs, have said we will have summers next semester. Where did you hear otherwise?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:48 pm

kn6542 wrote:
CampbellRh wrote:
???
Really? Everyone, including a few profs, have said we will have summers next semester. Where did you hear otherwise?
I'm pretty sure Summers won't be teaching next semester... that's what i'd been told.

Anyway, our schedules for next semester are also somewhere on Blackboard.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Well damn! I was hoping to have summers. I've heard he is a pretty funny dude.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 pm

CampbellRh wrote:

I don't know about that. It took me that long to do the reading the first week but that was only because 1) I needed new glasses, 2) I was struck with newbie retardation.
After that first week I average 3-4 hrs. I do plan to start attacking supplements soon, though.

Has anyone noticed any actual gunners in their section? The only thing that comes close in our section is a gunnar, but he's not a gunner. There is one dude who is more like a douche-o-matic, though. He doesn't even look people in the eye unless he thinks they're important.

Harvard is no longer graduating intellectuals, btw. They now focus on producing socially anxious nitwit douche monkeys. If you want a real education, go to MIT instead.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 pm

Yah, I looked our schedule up. We have someone named Hoffman for Contracts. No summers for us.

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Ok so...

I'm interested in attending Cornell and I think I'm doing pretty good at LSAT.

What median LSAT / GPA do I need? I'm URM.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

joonbug wrote:Ok so...

I'm interested in attending Cornell and I think I'm doing pretty good at LSAT.

What median LSAT / GPA do I need? I'm URM.
Cornell reserves a small percentage of seats for native Engrish speakers. You have a very well shot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:39 pm

I've been doing about 5 hours a night on average...but I also tend to get distracted, so maybe my stats are off.

The welcome info packet they gave us in the atrium has the spring schedule in it, fyi.

and KN, I'm sorry you don't get Summers...he is rather entertaining (though my opinion may change the day I get called on)
and ps, how have I still not met you?

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Cool to know.

How about the people at Cornell? Are they collegial? I don't want to go to a school where people are like... so unkewl.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 pm

I hear Section B has some oddities....but other than that the people seem pretty cool....

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 pm

joonbug wrote:Cool to know.

How about the people at Cornell? Are they collegial? I don't want to go to a school where people are like... so unkewl.
Most people are cool, but someone keeps stealing my kimchi out of the lawl school kitchen. I've no idea who it is. :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:51 pm

CampbellRh wrote:I've been doing about 5 hours a night on average...but I also tend to get distracted, so maybe my stats are off.

The welcome info packet they gave us in the atrium has the spring schedule in it, fyi.

and KN, I'm sorry you don't get Summers...he is rather entertaining (though my opinion may change the day I get called on)
and ps, how have I still not met you?
I think I saw you one day during registration. That's it. Where do you hide?

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:58 pm

kn6542 wrote: I think I saw you one day during registration. That's it. Where do you hide?
The library/my room-in Hughes-to do work. Where do you hide?

The extra weird thing is that my suitemates are in E...so I know they see 1/2 of TLS all the time...and I don't :(

And Joon-you're in B?? That means I have three classes with you--and still don't know who you are. Can we please work on that?

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:59 pm

kn, i have so much kimchi with me. it's urs.

and leah... im still waiting on that football invitation. i wouldve loved to see the jets game yesterday on hdtv.

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:01 pm

joonbug wrote:i wouldve loved to see the jets game yesterday on hdtv.
just adding a note that the jets game was AMAZING yesterday...
...LOVE my patriots... :) ...even without the most amazing man on the face of the planet playing we can still pull it off

I've been watching the games in saperston--no one is there on sunday afternoons.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Joon-- do you not have HDTV???? I must have missed that somewhere.

WE have the TV on ALL weekend long tuned strictly to football. (we are really studious though and mute it for brief times when there isnt a game on of particular interest...)

consider yourself invited. The horror of watching football without HD, shocks me.

Even though the proper answer (regardless of reality) is,--- IRL-- girl always hotter than her pictures. But, I'll let it slide this time.

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:05 pm

HDTV Football > Restatement 90.

Oh and about that answer... of course i knew the proper answer, duh! i was just commenting on um... how photogenic you were... and are

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:06 pm

CampbellRh wrote:
joonbug wrote:i wouldve loved to see the jets game yesterday on hdtv.
just adding a note that the jets game was AMAZING yesterday...
...LOVE my patriots... :) ...even without the most amazing man on the face of the planet playing we can still pull it off

I've been watching the games in saperston--no one is there on sunday afternoons.
I wish I knew anything at all about football so I could bond with people over it and slap guys on the back and stuff. Shit.

It turned out that I had free cable at my apt for the last three weeks and I didn't even know it until the cable guy shows up to "install" it. :(

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 pm

kara, we can talk about frogs. all day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”