Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:09 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:What should I buy to prepare myself for Ithaca? Emphasis on cold weather gear, I suppose. But whatever else you guys feel is essential, too. I want to create a checklist.
Warm boots that are also waterproof, preferably slip resistant. If you already have a water-resistant coat, then you'll be fine for winter if you layer long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, whatever under it... but a lot of people buy full on parkas. A good umbrella. Possibly some thermal pants to wear under your trousers on the really really cold wind-chill days. Honestly, you probably won't be spending a lot of time outside, and the school itself is kept pretty warm throughout the year.

ReadyToStart

New

Post by ReadyToStart » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Does anybody here know if Cornell negotiates to a full scholarship? I was recently offered an identical amount of scholarship money at UVA ($150,000) and I was wondering whether I'd be able to bring that to Cornell and point to the lower cost of living/attendance at UVA and the fact that they are a higher ranked school as a means of getting them to bring that 150k to a full?

Thanks!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 pm

ReadyToStart wrote:Does anybody here know if Cornell negotiates to a full scholarship? I was recently offered an identical amount of scholarship money at UVA ($150,000) and I was wondering whether I'd be able to bring that to Cornell and point to the lower cost of living/attendance at UVA and the fact that they are a higher ranked school as a means of getting them to bring that 150k to a full?

Thanks!
I would not point to the fact that they're a higher ranked school, to be honest. I think that could be off-putting, and Cornell is well aware of the rankings without you pointing it out. Cornell gives out close-to-full scholarships, but only has 2 named scholarships that they give out ever year. You have to be invited to apply/interview for those.

Instead, I would show them UVA's offer and say that you'd prefer to go to Cornell, since it's your top choice, and if offered some more $, you will commit. And then point to the lower COA. You have to be willing to bind yourself to that statement though, so be careful.

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:59 am

I'm thinking about visiting individually since I can't make it to either Admitted Student day. What would you guys recommend I do while I'm there besides the tour and sitting in on a class that'll give me a good feel for life at Cornell/living in Ithaca?

CR7

New

Post by CR7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 am

How late do the shuttles run around campus? How often are shuttles going from Thurston Court to the Law School?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

muggleclutch

New

Post by muggleclutch » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Any advice for someone interested in international public interest work currently deciding between Georgetown and Cornell? Could Cornell work well for me?

My specific background and area of interest is centered on Asia. I'm not interested in corporate law (unless it could somehow eventually act as a pathway to work in that area, which it doesn't on the face of it seem to), and while I know Georgetown is generally set up well for PI work, this work is most often expressed as policy work in DC or work through three letter government agencies. I'm looking to find work in (potentially smaller) legal development organizations abroad, so I don't know if that changes anything.

Honestly I know this is a somewhat specific question, so you all may not be able to answer it. Anyway, broadly speaking I feel much more drawn to Cornell as a school than to Georgetown. I'm definitely into the smaller class size and more intimate atmosphere. And I think to an extent it's important to not ignore gut feelings of this kind. But the fact that Cornell seems so corporate focused has been a bit discouraging.

Another problem is I've reached out to the person at Cornell working in my area of interest and have yet to receive a response (it's been a bit over a week now). The admissions office has been receptive and has encouraged me to reach out to this person (even recommending I give the person a call), but I have no idea whether or not this is actually a good idea or if it's simply the admissions office being an admissions office. Georgetown has a larger number of people working in my area (obviously, it's a much bigger school), but I still remain more drawn to Cornell.

counttoten

New

Post by counttoten » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:42 pm

muggleclutch wrote:Any advice for someone interested in international public interest work currently deciding between Georgetown and Cornell? Could Cornell work well for me?

My specific background and area of interest is centered on Asia. I'm not interested in corporate law (unless it could somehow eventually act as a pathway to work in that area, which it doesn't on the face of it seem to), and while I know Georgetown is generally set up well for PI work, this work is most often expressed as policy work in DC or work through three letter government agencies. I'm looking to find work in (potentially smaller) legal development organizations abroad, so I don't know if that changes anything.

Honestly I know this is a somewhat specific question, so you all may not be able to answer it. Anyway, broadly speaking I feel much more drawn to Cornell as a school than to Georgetown. I'm definitely into the smaller class size and more intimate atmosphere. And I think to an extent it's important to not ignore gut feelings of this kind. But the fact that Cornell seems so corporate focused has been a bit discouraging.

Another problem is I've reached out to the person at Cornell working in my area of interest and have yet to receive a response (it's been a bit over a week now). The admissions office has been receptive and has encouraged me to reach out to this person (even recommending I give the person a call), but I have no idea whether or not this is actually a good idea or if it's simply the admissions office being an admissions office. Georgetown has a larger number of people working in my area (obviously, it's a much bigger school), but I still remain more drawn to Cornell.
I don't know if this is the person you were put in contact with, but the public interest dean (Dean Comstock) is retiring in a week and therefore might be focusing on getting her affairs in order (if that's who you've reached out to). Otherwise, I believe the person for international stuff is Dean Brundige, so you might want to reach out to her (if that's not who you've reached out to). Sorry I can't be more helpful! The new PI dean is arriving on April 3.

muggleclutch

New

Post by muggleclutch » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:48 pm

counttoten wrote:
muggleclutch wrote:Any advice for someone interested in international public interest work currently deciding between Georgetown and Cornell? Could Cornell work well for me?

I don't know if this is the person you were put in contact with, but the public interest dean (Dean Comstock) is retiring in a week and therefore might be focusing on getting her affairs in order (if that's who you've reached out to). Otherwise, I believe the person for international stuff is Dean Brundige, so you might want to reach out to her (if that's not who you've reached out to). Sorry I can't be more helpful! The new PI dean is arriving on April 3.
Sorry, I should have clarified further. The person I was trying to get a hold of was a Cornell Law professor not affiliated with any admissions or student services office.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:26 pm

I think Cornell would be as good a choice as any other T-14 for international public interest law in Asia, but I don't have any personal experience with this, so I'm just going by gut feeling based on: Cornell's reputation in Asia, the amount of e-mails we got about events regarding Asia or international law, the fact that I kept hearing people say that we had a good international law program, and the fact that I know a few people who got international public interest law jobs but in the Middle East. I don't think it's so much that the school itself is "corporate focused" so much as most of the people who attend self-select into NYC biglaw.

As for the prof, if it's bothering you and they don't respond soon, I'd just call and tell them that admissions recommended calling them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Any advice on how to use the travel stipend effectively? $350 is not a lot of money, especially if you're coming a long way. Does admissions ever give you more than $350?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 am

lawpotato wrote:Any advice on how to use the travel stipend effectively? $350 is not a lot of money, especially if you're coming a long way. Does admissions ever give you more than $350?
I tried, they don't. I have suggested to admissions several times that they set up a home-stay program for admitted students coming from a long way out, like Vanderbilt does, in which they connect admitted students with current students who are willing to spare a couch or guest bed for ASW. No such luck on any official program. Maybe try contacting admissions to ask if they know any students willing to lend you a couch? $350 should cover a large chunk of your travel expenses even if you're coming from the west coast, but it will not cover a hotel at all.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

Lavitz wrote:I don't think it's so much that the school itself is "corporate focused" so much as most of the people who attend self-select into NYC biglaw.
Yep.

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:20 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
lawpotato wrote:Any advice on how to use the travel stipend effectively? $350 is not a lot of money, especially if you're coming a long way. Does admissions ever give you more than $350?
I tried, they don't. I have suggested to admissions several times that they set up a home-stay program for admitted students coming from a long way out, like Vanderbilt does, in which they connect admitted students with current students who are willing to spare a couch or guest bed for ASW. No such luck on any official program. Maybe try contacting admissions to ask if they know any students willing to lend you a couch? $350 should cover a large chunk of your travel expenses even if you're coming from the west coast, but it will not cover a hotel at all.
Yeah coming out from California isn't going to be cheap. Do they sometimes unofficially connect you with a student to stay with for the weekend?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 pm

lawpotato wrote:
Yeah coming out from California isn't going to be cheap. Do they sometimes unofficially connect you with a student to stay with for the weekend?
They didn't for me, also from California, but you can try. The general sense is that admissions is running a little differently this cycle -- they even held a small focus group last semester with some of us for feedback.

btw, I do not recommend flying into Syracuse or Tompkins County airports unless you can get a very, very good deal. (a) Doing so if often more expensive than simply flying into NYC and bussing up to Ithaca, and (b) service to those airports is unreliable and low-quality. I don't know anyone who has flown out of/into Tompkins County who has had a good experience.

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:48 pm

lawpotato wrote:
They didn't for me, also from California, but you can try. The general sense is that admissions is running a little differently this cycle -- they even held a small focus group last semester with some of us for feedback.

btw, I do not recommend flying into Syracuse or Tompkins County airports unless you can get a very, very good deal. (a) Doing so if often more expensive than simply flying into NYC and bussing up to Ithaca, and (b) service to those airports is unreliable and low-quality. I don't know anyone who has flown out of/into Tompkins County who has had a good experience.
Where would you recommend flying into? Rochester and getting a bus/train? NYC and bussing? Syracuse and dealing with the crappy quality?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 pm

lawpotato wrote:Where would you recommend flying into? Rochester and getting a bus/train? NYC and bussing? Syracuse and dealing with the crappy quality?
In through JFK or LGA and bussing it from Port Authority is, sadly, the most reliable way I've seen. Can someone else jump in with an opinion on Rochester? I've never been.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Anecdotally, people from Asia seem to think really highly of Cornell (especially Taiwanese people since two of Taiwan's recent presidents graduated from Cornell).

But you would likely be one of the very few people here trying to do PI in Asia, as far as I know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:30 pm

lawpotato wrote:
When I visited from California as a 0L, I was set up with a host through an affinity group. You could also ask the admissions office if they could set you up with someone, I bet they would be willing to find you a host. And if you can't find anything, you're welcome to stay on my couch, just PM me (I'm a 3L).

muggleclutch

New

Post by muggleclutch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am

Yea All Right wrote:

Anecdotally, people from Asia seem to think really highly of Cornell (especially Taiwanese people since two of Taiwan's recent presidents graduated from Cornell).

But you would likely be one of the very few people here trying to do PI in Asia, as far as I know.
Thanks for the heads up! It's good to hear that people from Asia (and presumably those studying at Cornell themselves) think highly of it. Perhaps trying to integrate myself in some way with the Asians that are in Cornell's LLM program would be a good idea, though many of them will probably also be primarily focused on law as it relates to business (as opposed to politics, for example). Still, maybe a good idea? Let me know if you know anyone who is interested in Asia/PI in Asia and if that person would be interested in talking to me about Cornell.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 pm

muggleclutch wrote:Thanks for the heads up! It's good to hear that people from Asia (and presumably those studying at Cornell themselves) think highly of it. Perhaps trying to integrate myself in some way with the Asians that are in Cornell's LLM program would be a good idea, though many of them will probably also be primarily focused on law as it relates to business (as opposed to politics, for example). Still, maybe a good idea? Let me know if you know anyone who is interested in Asia/PI in Asia and if that person would be interested in talking to me about Cornell.
Just found out that the the PI Dean's replacement has a huge amount of experience with international PI law. Don't know how much of that has to do with Asia, but it's something.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm

muggleclutch wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! It's good to hear that people from Asia (and presumably those studying at Cornell themselves) think highly of it. Perhaps trying to integrate myself in some way with the Asians that are in Cornell's LLM program would be a good idea, though many of them will probably also be primarily focused on law as it relates to business (as opposed to politics, for example). Still, maybe a good idea? Let me know if you know anyone who is interested in Asia/PI in Asia and if that person would be interested in talking to me about Cornell.
Unfortunately I do not know anyone personally. You could send an email to the admissions office to ask if they know anyone you could talk to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:14 pm

When asking for a travel stipend, does Cornell contact your work? I just started a new job and haven't told them I'm going to school in the fall yet/would rather not for several months

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:When asking for a travel stipend, does Cornell contact your work? I just started a new job and haven't told them I'm going to school in the fall yet/would rather not for several months
Highly unlikely. They didn't contact my job, and I have never heard of this happening.

no exit

New

Post by no exit » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks for taking questions guys. Thoughts on attending Cornell if I'm not 100% sold on NYC Biglaw? Pretty certain I want to do BL for as long as it takes to pay down my loans, but I'd much rather be in a non-NYC market (NYC's high COL and infamously inhumane BL lifestyle makes it not my most desired place to end up). What percentage of the class (e.g., top 25%, top 10%, etc.) would a student have to be in to find themselves with BL options beyond NYC (really anywhere; DC/LA/Chi/Boston/Philly/etc.; I know some of those are tougher to crack than others and a bidding strategy that included all of those cities would be dumb as hell, but just humor me for this question) if they don't have any real ties to those cities/don't have a "home" market?

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:17 am

Is the law school's CoL estimate liberal? What's the lowest one can realistically go? I guess housing would be the biggest negotiable component. Would really appreciate an insight. Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”