University of Maine School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ken

Bronze

University of Maine Law School - Good Quality of Life

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:55 am

The following was recently posted by a University of Maine Law School Student:

I'm currently a 1L at University of Maine School of Law and I'm finding that it's small character and home-like atmosphere is great. We have direct access to all the representatives for the state, as well as the state supreme court justices, and other offices pretty high up in the hierarchy of government because we're the only law school in maine.

Since the University of Maine Law School is so small, only 72 students in my class, the competition is virtually non-existant. Our professors go out of their way to make sure we understand what is going on, and our legal writing program is headed by the person who wrote the book on Maine citations.

Overall I enjoy the closeness that has developed within our class. Everyone knows everyone else at this point, we all sit in the same seats we picked at the beginning of the year, and we stay in one room with the professors coming to us! There are constantly breakfasts and lunches going on so that we can meet the other classes and make connections, constantly guest speakers being brought in (with free pizza for lunch), and the classes are always so interesting. And to have a little social life, the Men's Law Association picks a bar each thursday night where the majority of the school meets and socializes. We're right in Portland, merely a 5 minute drive to the old port where it has a very Greenwhich village type feel to it. (I'm from New York and I feel right at home in the city of Portland!)

End result: I definitely recommend the University of Maine Law School.

My addition: Although the University of Maine Law School is clearly not ranked amongst the top 100 law schools, it is an attractive option for those who live in or want to practice law in Maine. Tuition is under $15,000 a year for in-state residents and not much above $21,000 for out-of-state residents. The acceptance rate is a generous 35%, with GPAs ranging from a 3.0-3.6 and LSAT scores between a 152-160 for applicants at the 25%-75% ends of the spectrum.

Exclusive and in-depth law school profiles and photos of the nation's top law schools can be found at: http://www.top-law-schools.com/profiles.html

Seth

New

Considering Maine

Post by Seth » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 pm

Ken,

I am originally from Maine and am currently serving in the military in Hawaii. I am strongly considering UMaine Law School, as I find the in-state tuition appealing and would like to eventually practice in Maine. I read some of your other posts and saw that you were also an LSAT course instructor before. I took the LSAT four years ago, and without taking a prep course, sleeping well the night before, or eating breakfast, I scored a 167. I plan to retake the test, and to take a prep course this time, so I'm hoping to improve a little. I guess what I was wondering is whether there are other people at UMaine who scored equally high and how those people seem to do in the UMaine environment? Also, have you tried yet to get a summer associate position in the area? What do you find the area firms are looking for in a summer associate candidate? How's the competition? Thanks for your help, and happy holidays.

TRACYMATHIAS

New

Considering Maine

Post by TRACYMATHIAS » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:27 pm

Ken I am a pre-law student in Maine as we speak also a Maine resident my only option with personal choices for law school would be to stay in Maine could you elaborate a little more on your statement saying that the "competition is virtually non-existent." I was just wondering how do you come to this conclusion (better for me if this is true). Thank You and good luck in school.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:33 pm

dssinc

New

Post by dssinc » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Basically he means that virtually no one who goes to school outside of Maine decides, "Gee, I really want to go to Maine after school to work."
Which is kind of funny as the Portland, Maine metro has one of the highest qualities of life in the country, especially when you roll affordability into the equation as a well-paid white collar professional.

That's okay, though...better that it not get crowded. I'd hate to bump kayaks with anyone as I scoot around my lovely Casco Bay...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deucethejuice

New

Post by deucethejuice » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:51 pm

Random thoughts about Maine:

Ass cold in winter.
strange people live there who garden in their spare time :) .
democrat
lots of lobsters.
dr. mcdreamy's mom lives there.
longjohns.

parke9

New

Re: University of Maine School of Law

Post by parke9 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:21 pm

dssinc wrote:
Basically he means that virtually no one who goes to school outside of Maine decides, "Gee, I really want to go to Maine after school to work."
I don't think this is what he means, because it quite simply isn't true. Portland, Maine has a vibrant legal community with several very well respected law firms. Many graduates from top law schools do come to Portland because it is a wonderful place to live and to practice law. I think what he means regarding competition is that there is not a cut-throat sense of competition among classmates for grades and ranking. Of course, those elements are important, but at Maine Law they do not contribute to a negative atmosphere among the students. There is actually a tremendous sense of camaraderie among the students, which is what makes it appealing. Maine law offers an excellent legal education and a very positive atmosphere in which to study law.

azul99

New

University of Maine School of Law / Competitiveness

Post by azul99 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:45 pm

I graduated from U. Maine School of Law almost 20 years ago and can confirm what Ken posted about the school and its advantages. Portland is a lovely city and the school is, as law schools go, laid-back and comfortable (which I think is what he means by non-competitive, i.e. students work collaboratively together and being The Best is not on everyone's mind).

I left Maine right after law school and have worked in large East Coast cities ever since, but I will say that everyone in my class who wanted to stay in Maine and practice there, did. So if you'd like to live and in Portland, it makes perfect sense to go to Maine Law. Going to another, pricier law school may land you a good job in Portland, but going to U. Maine will put you closer to that goal (and leave more money in your pocket).

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet

New

Re: University of Maine Law School - Good Quality of Life

Post by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 am

For the five (out of seven) people who posted about or asked Ken questions about his thoughts on Maine and others who might read this in the future and think of asking Ken questions about his experience at UMaine...
Ken wrote:The following was recently posted by a University of Maine Law School Student:
Not by Ken. Ken went to Boalt. As it states at the top of the page, he is merely re-posting this from some-where/one else.

HalfManHalfAmazing

New

Re: University of Maine School of Law

Post by HalfManHalfAmazing » Sat May 24, 2008 5:45 pm

It makes one wonder how these people scored above a 120 on the LSAT with such low reading comprehension scores...On the plus side, Maine waitlisted me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”