What is the average weekly salary for summer associates at biglaw firms Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous User

What is the average weekly salary for summer associates at biglaw firms

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:42 pm

I want to work as a summer associate for a big law firm in the DC area. What is the average salary for summer associates in big law firms? Is there a significant difference in pay between the more prestigious big law firms and the the more middle tier firms?

TestAccount12345

New

Re: What is the average weekly salary for summer associates at biglaw firms

Post by TestAccount12345 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm

It should be the starting associate salary divided by 52. So firms on the Cravath scale tend to pay precisely $3,653.85/week. Some firms round up to $3700 or $3750. A couple (ex. K&E, Reed Smith) apparently pay slightly above market for unknown reasons - $3,958.50. Not sure about firms that pay below market since I didn’t apply to those. I imagine a place like Wachtel or W&C would pay more since their starting salary is higher but someone who works there should confirm.

QContinuum

Re: What is the average weekly salary for summer associates at biglaw firms

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm

TestAccount12345 wrote:It should be the starting associate salary divided by 52. So firms on the Cravath scale tend to pay precisely $3,653.85/week. Some firms round up to $3700 or $3750. A couple (ex. K&E, Reed Smith) apparently pay slightly above market for unknown reasons - $3,958.50. Not sure about firms that pay below market since I didn’t apply to those. I imagine a place like Wachtel or W&C would pay more since their starting salary is higher but someone who works there should confirm.
I understand Wachtell pays summers on the Cravath scale. Wachtell associates make (lots) more not because their base pay is higher, but because they receive ginormous bonuses (commensurate with a similarly ginormous number of hours worked).

I'm surprised to hear Reed Smith pays summers above Cravath. I understand their full-time associates make below the current Cravath scale.

In the end, I wouldn't base any decision on where to summer on SA pay. It's only 8-10 weeks in the grand scheme of things (or 12 at the maximum, though it's pretty rare to find 12-week gigs these days). Much more important to find a firm that's a good "fit," and that pays actual market. Most firms that claim to pay Cravath actually don't pay Cravath because they attach hours requirements to bonuses that many/most associates fail to meet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”