Art Law? What can you do with a JD and MA in Art History Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aeshook

New

Art Law? What can you do with a JD and MA in Art History

Post by aeshook » Thu May 23, 2019 9:37 am

I'm really interested in art and law as well, does anyone know about career paths that spawn from having a JD and an MA in Art History?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Art Law? What can you do with a JD and MA in Art History

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu May 23, 2019 3:27 pm

aeshook wrote:I'm really interested in art and law as well, does anyone know about career paths that spawn from having a JD and an MA in Art History?
The whole is exactly equal to the sum of its parts in this case.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu May 23, 2019 3:52 pm

I know someone who did this and she worked in soft IP (copyrights rather than patents kinds of stuff). But I’m not at all convinced her MA made any real difference.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 24, 2019 12:27 pm

nixy wrote:I know someone who did this and she worked in soft IP (copyrights rather than patents kinds of stuff). But I’m not at all convinced her MA made any real difference.
The MA will not add any value to the J.D., nor will the J.D. add any value to the MA (or as LSAT Airbender put it, "no synergy!"). OP wouldn't be valuing any pieces of art or other IP with their MA; clients would still hire valuation experts to do the valuing. And on the flip side, if OP goes into the art world and becomes a valuation expert, clients would hire full-time lawyers to do the contract drafting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”