Can I drop finals week? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cavalier1138

Re: Can I drop finals week?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:08 pm

The answer to your core question is that you need to ask your school about its withdrawal policy. At my school, for example, I think you'd be out of luck, because the last day for withdrawing from classes is the last day of class (not during the final exam period). But it entirely depends on your school's policies in this area.

As for "starting fresh" somewhere else: You definitely won't be able to do that if this semester results in official grades for you. If you are able to successfully withdraw, it might be possible to apply to another school, but you're going to have some serious questions to answer about your situation.

Also, a single grade cannot sink your employment prospects. Employers look at your GPA, not at your individual class grades. So if you're looking to blame something for your lack of a summer job, this single class grade ain't it.

QContinuum

Re: Can I drop finals week?

Post by QContinuum » Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Also, a single grade cannot sink your employment prospects. Employers look at your GPA, not at your individual class grades. So if you're looking to blame something for your lack of a summer job, this single class grade ain't it.
I feel like this is a bit strong. OP is, IIRC from his previous posts, at Howard. Even if he had straight As in his other classes, I think A, A, A, F (or similar) after his first semester would really harm his employment prospects. Many, even most employers would be concerned enough about the eye-popping F to pass on OP for another T3 student.

Of course, it's evident OP didn't get straight As in his other classes. It sounds he had more like straight Bs in his other classes, so I'm sure those grades held him back as well. But I think it's inaccurate to suggest the F could not possibly have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Re: starting law school afresh, I highly doubt OP can withdraw at this point because he himself says he already took one of his spring finals. He may also have already finished his spring legal writing class. So, yes, OP should check with Howard, but if he's already finished two classes I have a hard time imagining they would let him keep those grades & credits off his transcript.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”