What ramifications could this have on admissions and character and fitness? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sarcasticfrog1984

New

What ramifications could this have on admissions and character and fitness?

Post by sarcasticfrog1984 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 pm

I'm in my early 30s. Just received my LSAC gpa - 3.4 and have a 177 LSAT score.

Have fairly decent work experience. In addition, I have no criminal record. No felonies, misdemeanors, dui's, nothing. I have some personal obstacles I want to seek professional help for in the next year, because they greatly interfere with my ability to concentrate and function, and will be a constraint for me in law school, if I don't address them beforehand.

I have untreated ADHD, OCD, and tics. I haven't sought medical help for them beforehand, because I thought issues pertaining to mental health may make schools reluctant to admit me and especially the bar. However, I won't succeed in law school or anything after, if I don't address these issues.

I would like to know - because admission committees ask in the application - if you've ever sought treatment, and I will need to disclose for C and F, do you think I should be overly concerned about seeking treatment for ADHD and OCD? Has anyone known anyone else that did, and got admitted and could sit for the bar?

SlipperyKipper

Re: What ramifications could this have on admissions and character and fitness?

Post by SlipperyKipper » Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Law school applications will not ask you if you have ever sought treatment for mental health issues. The C&F section on law school applications ask about criminal arrests/convictions, academic or disciplinary sanctions by colleges or professional organizations, and sometimes involvement in civil proceedings. As far as law school admissions are concerned, you do not need to worry about disclosing your ADHD and OCD on the application.

However, I believe that you should be very concerned about seeking treatment for your ADHD and OCD. You stated that these disorders will likely interfere with your academic abilities and you will not succeed in law school if these issues aren't addressed. That is definitely cause for concern and should be a top priority before applying for law school. I think treatment is important not only to help you learn how to manage your ADHD and OCD but to take care of your overall mental wellness, as well.

I understand why you might feel reluctant to seek treatment for these issues but, there is zero shame in being proactive with caring for your mental health. If you have to disclose this on the bar, you will be able to affirm that you are/have sought treatment and will hopefully be able to manage your symptoms. I do not see your disorders precluding you from admission to the bar. If you have no other C&F issues and you demonstrate a commitment to managing your mental health through professional treatment, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:38 pm

I'll just reiterate what was already said: C&F doesn't ask about this. Admissions doesn't ask about this, They only ask about treatment for drugs/alcohol.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon May 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Some states may still ask about treatment for mental health, although I think many/most are moving away from this (the state where I'm admitted asks if you have a condition, including mental health, that in any way affects your ability to practice law ethically/competently/etc, which I think is a really wibbly-wobbly question - does that mean treated or untreated or what; in any case, back when I applied they asked specifically about treatment for any mental health condition). However I agree that if they do ask (which many probably won't), disclose diagnoses and treatment received and you'll be fine. Disclosing what is asked and showing that you've got everything under control is always the way to go.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon May 06, 2019 9:54 pm

A bit dated (2017) but check out this 50-state survey on bar C&F questions: https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... l_2017.pdf

If there's a particular state(s) OP is interested in practicing in, I recommend that they obtain and review those states' current C&F questions, which may have changed since 2017. If at all concerned, I would recommend consulting a C&F attorney in the state(s) in question.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 pm

At a c and f level, just because you answer yes does not mean it will be a big deal. If you’re 30 and it never led to discipline, it’s a non-issue. Also, those conditions are not really a big deal from a functionality standpoint. It’s much likelier that tics will affect employment prospects (just because people can be superficial) than any c and f interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”