CHARACTER AND FITNESS Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MasonM1125

New

CHARACTER AND FITNESS

Post by MasonM1125 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:09 pm

The following is an amendment that I made to my Syracuse Law School application after I was admitted with a Dean's Scholarship. The Assistant Dean of Admissions and the Admissions Committee decided it would not have any impact on my admissions or scholarship. However, I am incredibly worried I won't be allowed to sit for the NY Bar because of this. Please let me know your thoughts.

On April 5th, 2019, I made a very disheartening mistake. I made a racial joke towards my friend Kelsy while at work. While I do not wish to repeat the joke, I do wish to apologize for my behavior. It is also important to me to note that the joke did in no way involve any use of a racial slur as I would never use such disgusting language.

In the current work environment, jokes between employees are made on a daily basis. I have been on the receiving end of many gay/ homosexual jokes from other employees. This should have given me greater understanding on the impact of my joke.

I made the joke not to offend anybody but, in an attempt, to be funny. Looking back now, I recognize that it was a highly inappropriate joke and I wish I had not made it. It does not reflect my values in anyway. I do not have a racist bone in my body, just a temporary lapse in judgement. I apologized profusely that night when I realized that the joke was not acceptable and had truly offended Kelsy. As I consider her a good friend it greatly saddens me to know I have offended her so deeply.

Kelsy has since acknowledged via text message, that she completely forgives me and understands it was a joke, just a very poor joke. If I could take this back, I would in an instance. I did not intend any harm or degradation to Kelsy or anyone else at work.

A report was made about my behavior, which is completely understandable. It has resulted in Human Resources asking for statements on both sides. I chose to make a statement similar to this amendment, while Kelsy chose not to make a statement because she felt this situation was blown out of proportion.

I chose to resign my position even though I would have received no more than a write-up. I felt that it was my responsibility to show that my behavior was unacceptable, and I felt resigning my position was a good start on repentance. This was a learning experience for me more than anything else. While the person making a joke may not be a racist, it does not take the racism out of the joke. Not only did I learn to think more deeply before speaking, but that racism saturates our society, even if unintended and accidental.

My character and my values are not accurately represented by this situation and I certainly hope it will not define me in the eyes of your institution, or the judicial field at large. We all make mistakes, the important part is to learn from them, and work as hard as possible to be better people.
Thank you for your time and the opportunity to explain this occurrence.

cavalier1138

Re: CHARACTER AND FITNESS

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:19 am

You'll be fine.

Just save whoever has to read about this some time and condense this. You don't need to keep beating the drum about how not-racist you are (which actually starts to get suspicious-sounding at a certain point), and you definitely don't need to give the dramatic blow-by-blow account. You said something inappropriate, a report was filed, you decided to resign despite not having to, you're very sorry, and it won't happen again.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:You'll be fine.

Just save whoever has to read about this some time and condense this. You don't need to keep beating the drum about how not-racist you are (which actually starts to get suspicious-sounding at a certain point), and you definitely don't need to give the dramatic blow-by-blow account. You said something inappropriate, a report was filed, you decided to resign despite not having to, you're very sorry, and it won't happen again.
Agreed. OP, if you have to address it - it's actually pretty simple. Your statement is as highlighted.

Don't blow it out of proportion. Even NY, with its 'liberal rep' is not going to deny you sitting for the bar for this. You have enough things to worry about between now and your swear-in. Don't add to them.

My $.02

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:45 pm

NY does C&F post bar anyways.

MasonM1125

New

Post by MasonM1125 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am

Thank you guys very much for the feedback. Sorry that the post was so long. I was just trying to stress to the school that it wasn't my character or values so I might have been a bit repetitive.

It makes me feel much better that no one thinks this will prevent me from sitting for the bar.

My work did let me know that the incident is not even in my file because it was so minor. Will the Bar still try to get information about the incident from my work or likely just talk to me about the situation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am

Calbears123 wrote:NY does C&F post bar anyways.
That's a distinction without relevance to OP. Presumably their goal is to be admitted to the bar, not merely to be able to sit the bar exam and then get dinged on C&F grounds.

But I agree that - while I'm not a NY C&F lawyer, and not OP's lawyer, etc. - this appears exceedingly unlikely to bar or even slow OP. Almost no applicants have squeaky-clean records. There's always some traffic ticket, or underage drinking citation, or college disciplinary thingamajig, or delinquent debt, or whatnot.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:52 pm

I'd add that any add'l conduct in legal internships will suggest a pattern so be more careful going forward. Otherwise, NBD. Statement is so long and melodramatic it seems disingenuous. Be concise, and apologetic but not overly so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”